JamesMusslewhite
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

There are two ranks in the Corps that epitomize it's culture and best known to the general public thanks to Hollywood.

Sargent - Sgt. - E-5  - Sgt. Stryker - John Wayne - Sands of Iwo Jima

Gunnery Sargent - GySgt - E-7 - Gunney Highway - Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

There are other ranks above Gunney but not very well know. Master Sergeant / First Sergeant (E-8), and Master Gunnery Sergeant / Sergeant Major (E-9) combat tactical vs technical

Depending on the conditions - war vs peace , duration - 2 vs 4 + years enlistment, function (attrition) - infantry - cook - mechanic - electronics, time in grade (up to a point),  and most importantly - performance scores, military and not surprisingly for the Corps, physical  ( PFT (physical fitness test)

All of the above come into play to advance in rank

E-3 - Lance Corporal - usually attainable - the first 3 ranks are automatic if you don't screw up

E-4 - Corporal - doable in 2 years but not likely

E-5 - Sargent - not very likely in less than 4 to 8 except in war time with large build up

E-7 - Gunnery Sargent - the holly grail of the Marine Corps - 12 to 24 - Ermey was E7 after 11

Rank vs time in is one way to determine a "Stolen Valor" AH.

I picked up Sergeant (E-5) in 4 years 2 months. Meritorious promotion PFC (E-2) Boor Camp, and all the rest were peacetime in a top-heavy tech fields. That is rarely ever done. I am proud of that accomplishment as it took dedication and hard work You had to always max  your PFTs, Cutting scores, Pros and Cons an achieve and maintain Riffle Expert.

Gunny Ermey was the personifying embodiment old Marines reminisced of their own leathernecked D.I.s and boot camp memories,  brought to life 40 foot tall on the silver screen. It is a damn shame that this old-salt was subject to cowardly personal assaults from liberal-cowards too gutless to have served themselves. Heaven has a new 'Sergeant of the Guard' on its gates, and him and Chesty will insure those Godless liberal-turds, when assigned to their own fates, will never escape Hell.

R.I.P. Gunny you always represented us well. Semper fi  

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

lamoe
7 minutes ago, delancey said:

I’d think saying something “unsavory” would not cause an industry wide conspiracy against his career because he presented himself publicly as very conservative when he was in demand. Maybe it was part of how he reconciled limited roles for not being versitile and for the effect of aging lessening demand? Or maybe he was blackballed. Just tossing out counterpoints. 

Getting political but in Hollywood it would.

The "How did he win? I don't know anyone who voted for him" is very prevalent.

Many character / supporting role actors continue into their 90's - Betty White was basically a one note actress

Google "Hollywood blackballs conservative actors"

Actor/Comedian Michael Joiner: How Hollywood blackballs ...

www.therebel.media/actor_comedian_michael_joiner...

In Part 2 of our three-part conversation, actor/comedian Michael Joiner and I talk about how Hollywood blackballs conservatives, the movie industry's "self-inflicted wounds," alienating the audience, and treating people as individuals.

Hollywood conservatives get a taste of the new blacklist ...

humanevents.com/.../hollywood-conservatives-get-a-taste...

Hollywood conservatives get a taste ... The Hollywood conservative group found itself on that ... and includes the producer Laurie David and the actor Leonardo ...

Hollywood Blackballs Tom Selleck For ... - Conservative Fighters

conservativefighters.com/news/hollywood-blackballs-tom...

Actor Tom Selleck has had a love-hate relationship with the media over the past few years, but he has made one thing very clear—he isn’t afraid to speak out about his values—even if they go against the typical Hollywood grain.

Celebrities Blacklisted for Supporting Trump | Newsmax.com

www.newsmax.com/Hirsen/blacklist-candidacy...

Celebrities Blacklisted for ... just revealed that he has been blacklisted in Hollywood because ... Baio and Willie Robertson at the Republican ...

lamoe
9 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

I picked up Sergeant (E-5) in 4 years 2 months. Meritorious promotion PFC (E-2) Boor Camp, and all the rest were peacetime in a top-heavy tech fields. That is rarely ever done. I am proud of that accomplishment as it took dedication and hard work You had to always max  your PFTs, Cutting scores, Pros and Cons an achieve and maintain Riffle Expert.

Gunny Ermey was the personifying embodiment old Marines reminisced of their own leathernecked D.I.s and boot camp memories,  brought to life 40 foot tall on the silver screen. It is a damn shame that this old-salt was subject to cowardly personal assaults from liberal-cowards too gutless to have served themselves. Heaven has a new 'Sergeant of the Guard' on its gates, and him and Chesty will insure those Godless liberal-turds, when assigned to their own fates, will never escape Hell.

R.I.P. Gunny you always represented us well. Semper fi  

Vietnam era - 2 3/4 years  -  late 69 - huge build up in air wing 68 / 70 - didn't really deserve it at that time (found out later missed cut by 0.01 points  - Squadron CO adjusted latest performance scores )

Most radar techs were leaving for civilian jobs as soon as they could.

• Like 1