Steven Mactan

Extremely Low Water Pressure - Lapu Lapu City.

Steven Mactan

I've been living in Lapu Lapu City in the Maribago area for approximately five years now, and throughout most of that time my water pressure from Metro Cebu Water District has been mostly acceptable.  However, during the past month or so we have been hardly getting any water, and the problem doesn't just effect me, it also effects all of my neighbors as well.  I have a hose bibb (valve) attached to my main water line coming into the compound, the connection for my garden hose is only about six inches above the ground, but lately the pressure has been so low that the water coming in from Metro Cebu Water District cannot even climb the six inches to come out my hose bibb.  

One of my in-laws said that she called the water district and that they told her that they had contracted with another company to supply water to Mactan Island, but this subcontractor wasn't doing their job for some reason.  Does anyone know if this is true?  I've talked to people living in the Marigondon and Basak areas, and they say that they haven't been getting any water also, but the people living over in Cordova city (another part of Mactan Island) seem to be getting good water pressure.  

This is really a very serious problem, and I hope that someone is working to fix it?

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick

Sounds like it is time to get a couple of large plastic garbage bins and use them to store water so you have it when you need it.

Richard K

When I first moved here (Central Luzon) we had a similar problem. If fact there would be days when there was No water for most of the day until evening. My house is pretty close in elevation to the water towers and I was told there was nothing I could do. 
I bought an 85 gal water tank and a small shallow well pump. I put it in-line between the main and my use. I have a main switch for it so i can shut it if there is no water at all so it doesn't burn out and once it is full and pressurized at 47 psi we are good for the day with conservative usage.  It is enough for both of us to take decent showers and do dishes..etc...total cost was abit less than 6000 P
All of my pinoy neighbors thought I was crazy foreigner...but it is working good

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

shadow

After a few years of sporadic water pressure I finally figured out the secret to their turning it on and off.

I have reached the conclusion they only turn our water off when it rains or when it don't!

Your mileage may vary.

lopburi3
3 minutes ago, Richard K said:

When I first moved here (Central Luzon) we had a similar problem. If fact there would be days when there was No water for most of the day until evening. My house is pretty close in elevation to the water towers and I was told there was nothing I could do. 
I bought an 85 gal water tank and a small shallow well pump. I put it in-line between the main and my use. I have a main switch for it so i can shut it if there is no water at all so it doesn't burn out and once it is full and pressurized at 47 psi we are good for the day with conservative usage.  It is enough for both of us to take decent showers and do dishes..etc...total cost was abit less than 6000 P
All of my pinoy neighbors thought I was crazy foreigner...but it is working good

As said the key is to buy a water storage tank (1 cubic meter would be large enough for most home use) and have water fill that with a float valve to shut flow when full - and then use the water pump to pump from that source to home.  If pressure extremely low you might have to have that tank underground.  Very simple and not expensive to do.  You can use check valve system to use city water when pressure high or pump when not but that makes it a bit more problematic.  Once you have good pressure you probably would not want to return to a normal low city pressure anyhow.

What you do not want to do is pump from mains directly as that can suck in nasties.      

• Like 1

Richard K
7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

What you do not want to do is pump from mains directly as that can suck in nasties.      

I put a filter between the pump and the tank. I have considered putting  drip chlorination after the tank but I do not have the testing reagent and equipment available here to do it with any amount of accuracy.
This works good for me. My first thought was to pump to a tank higher up and gravity feed my house but the cost of what I have now was less than half what that would have cost me.

Janneo

I'm thinking about having a 55 gallon drum near my main, and then pump water up to my 2 bins on the roof of the house.

It has about 6 meters height difference. Problem is I have no clue what kind of pump i need for that.

I figure if it can fill two 55 gallon drums during a day that would be more than enough.  0.3l/minute  (17l/hour), so not much.

Any cheapo ideas? Solar powered would be nice.  Saving me the trouble of electrical wiring. Thoughts?

lopburi3
52 minutes ago, Janneo said:

I'm thinking about having a 55 gallon drum near my main, and then pump water up to my 2 bins on the roof of the house.

It has about 6 meters height difference. Problem is I have no clue what kind of pump i need for that.

I figure if it can fill two 55 gallon drums during a day that would be more than enough.  0.3l/minute  (17l/hour), so not much.

Any cheapo ideas? Solar powered would be nice.  Saving me the trouble of electrical wiring. Thoughts?

Obviously you would have to have a pump able to get above those six meters (which you can find in specs).  Doubt anything solar would be cost effective.  House is designed to support those bins full of water?   Unless water is much higher than usage area most people seem to prefer direct pumping to home system as small water tower does not provide much pressure.

lolhahaha

Out here in BFE we have no city water and a lot of people don't have water during the summer from their shallow wells. When our house was built we had a well dug to about 50+ meters, cost about 8000 pesos. We pump the water up and pipe it over to an elevated water tank. It's maybe a 50 gallon plastic tank and we have to plug in the pump every couple days to refill it. It's really just good for shower water and washing dishes. Total cost less than 20k pesos for everything including workers.

The water is usually nasty brownish stuff for the first couple minutes and smells like metal, probably rust or something worse. I don't even attempt to filter it because we'd go through a filter a week but after running it down the drain for a while the water clears up.

I still wouldn't drink it and even though I did bring a few expensive filters from home Depot in the US I don't think I'll ever use them since we can just buy bottled drinking water for about 2-3 dollars a week.

Woolf
Posted (edited)

The 55 gallon drums can be found many places 

they are about 1200 php each

I plan to buy 4 of them to collect rain water 

may use one of them as a filter like this one, maybe not with the charcoal

Image result for barrel drum as filter

here is one place to get the drums

https://www.google.dk/maps/@10.2565481,123.8592165,3a,48.9y,331.44h,69.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdpvdUImq97HNZNmb8DFRkw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steven Mactan

Well, I actually have an eight hundred gallon storage tank made out of concrete.  Usually I have the Metro Cebu Water flow directly into that, and then I use a pressure pump to send it from there into my house.  

My problem lately is that I cannot get any water at all from the Metro Cebu Water District, and today I actually undid my main water line from its valve, and stuck it into a bucket I had put into a hole I dug into the ground.  It took about two hours for my main water line 1/2" PVC to fill up a five gallon bucket that was at ground level.

I also have an old fashioned hand pump in my compound which draws water from a ten meter deep well.  The problem is that every one else around here is also pumping water out of the ground like crazy, and now the water coming out of my hand pump is brackish.  

I was really hoping that someone might know what the deal is with MCWD not supplying any water pressure to our area, and how much longer it will last?  Things are so bad over here that some squatters broke into one of the main four inch lines along the Basak highway so that they could get some water.  

Steven Mactan
4 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Thanks Wolf, I've got a couple of extra booster pumps hanging around here, but no water to pump with them.  I hope they fix this problem soon, or I will have to go home.  I have a deep well on our property, but the water coming out of the ground is now contaminated with salt water due to everyone over pumping from the aquifer.   I know that they have a huge reservoir  a few miles from us, but for some reason they don't seem to be sending any water to our area.  Very bad. 

A_Simple_Man
22 minutes ago, Steven Mactan said:

Well, I actually have an eight hundred gallon storage tank made out of concrete.

You may be able to get a truck to fill it for you.  That makes it your neighbor's problem, but no longer yours.

Here is a link to a company that claims to deliver potable water to anywhere in Cebu.  Perhaps you want to try them

https://www.nalrenetrucking.ph/

There are many places in the world that do not have access to water from a pipe and an 800 gallon storage tank will supply you with enough water for at least a week, used sparingly.  More if you are cautious with it.  In backwoods Canada I had a 1500 gallon tank that would only need filling every 2 weeks so I am familiar with trucked in water.  Its just a shame that you may have to do that on Mactan.

Steven Mactan
38 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

You may be able to get a truck to fill it for you.  That makes it your neighbor's problem, but no longer yours.

Here is a link to a company that claims to deliver potable water to anywhere in Cebu.  Perhaps you want to try them

https://www.nalrenetrucking.ph/

There are many places in the world that do not have access to water from a pipe and an 800 gallon storage tank will supply you with enough water for at least a week, used sparingly.  More if you are cautious with it.  In backwoods Canada I had a 1500 gallon tank that would only need filling every 2 weeks so I am familiar with trucked in water.  Its just a shame that you may have to do that on Mactan.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  I've seen some water delivery trucks driving around in my area, but none of them look like the trucks shown in the above link?  Anyway, I may give them a call in the near future if the water district doesn't get something going.