SkyMan

What's proper wire for home wiring?

SkyMan

I know what's used in the US but wondering mainly from the Ozzies here due to the 220V aspect.  What gauge and type of wire is normal to use here?

Raven

Any size as long as its spaghetti wire and best in one color only..makes them easy to install.

Woolf
1 minute ago, Raven said:

Any size as long as its spaghetti wire and best in one color only..makes them easy to install.

as skyman is in veco  both wires are hot, unless special installation

so I guess black is fine

yellow/green for ground

SkyMan

Well, color isn't really what I'm looking for.  Gauge and type?  Is 12G THHN ok?

Woolf
Posted (edited)

Cable dimension max fuse/circuit breaker for denmark 220/240v

sikring = fuse

automatsikring = circuit breaker

ledningsdimension.png

Edited by Woolf

Raven

I used 3.5mm THHN/THWN TN12 for all, but think 2.0mm TN14 for light only will do.

e622684ca6555af7ef18b007c695f463--americ

• Like 1

Jawny

For most wiring projects, I use 12 or 14 gage 7 strand twisted.  12/7TW foe example.  

I use the 12 for circuits which will be for small appliance.  I use 14 for lighting. 

I have used solid on occasion, not twisted. 

• Like 1

Woolf

Remember for 220/240 for same effect current is half of what is needed for 110/120

so I think you americans may be will use to thick a wire, thinking you need the same as home in usa

• Like 5

Raven
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jawny said:

For most wiring projects, I use 12 or 14 gage 7 strand twisted.  12/7TW foe example.  

I use the 12 for circuits which will be for small appliance.  I use 14 for lighting. 

I have used solid on occasion, not twisted. 

Edited by Raven
Not correct, my mistake

Woolf
Posted (edited)

in denmark 1.5 mm2 is used for lights and normal wall sockets

Edited by Woolf

Jawny

I am using 12 and 14 gage wire.  I don’t concern myself with the charts as the wire is suitable for my needs.  The mm size is stenciled right on the wire if it is of interest.  

oztony

Don't use solid , use stranded , solid is garbage and no good for various reasons IMO...

Woolf
1 minute ago, oztony said:

Don't use solid , use stranded , solid is garbage and no good for various reasons IMO...

Nothing but solid is used for installations in denmark, at least for 1.5 and 2.5 mm2

above I am not sure ????

lopburi3

If you are thinking US 12 awg 120v suspect a good choice would be 2.5mm (and as said 1.5mm would be fine for normal lighting circuits).  And solid is fine and normally used for homes with 220v systems as only half the size is needed so you do not need strands to make it flexible enough.  Remember pure wattage is voltage x amps so at double the voltage you are only using half the amperage for the same amount of work.  Much smaller wire size required.  But someone mentioned it is not normal 220v at his location but two 110v hots (as used for stoves in US?).  Have no experience with that system.

• Like 2

Woolf
2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But someone mentioned it is not normal 220v at his location but two 110v hots (as used for stoves in US?).  Have no experience with that system.

veco is using 2 hots   220/240 between wires no neutral, so it is just like an installation with  1 neutral and 1 hot

• Thanks 1