Jawny

Travel on Fast ferry with garden tool (sharp blades)

Jawny

I bought a saw I’ll use for gardening.  It is the type used when attached to a long pole to cut out of reach branches.  As I returned to my hotel, the security guard surprised me by actually looking inside our bag, seeing the saw and having it removed for safe storage.  Not an issue at the hotel, as I can recover the saw when I check out.  However, this had me realize I may run into this issue at the pier 1 terminal when I get ready to pass though security.

Id prefer not having to ship the saw separately by LBC or some other means. 

I was hoping some LinC member had a similar experience at the ferry terminal and could give advice.  Common sense tells me that I could "surrender" the saw at the entrance, and recover it at the other end.  I believe that is what is done with firearms.  However, not forgetting where I live, this could create a whole new set of issues.

So, again, I am hoping some member has been though this situation and can share their experience. 

Jim Sibbick

My only experience is years ago with a large pair of scissors. 

They were going to take them off me then decided not to bother. Perhaps because I was a Kano and not considered a threat.

I have avoided having anything long and pointy ever since.

colemanlee

Ive found if you put whatever you buy in your luggage, give it to a porter to load, they dont check anything

• Like 3

SkyMan

I brought a set of cutlery on a ferry from Manila to Cebu which they did pick up on XRay so I had to give them over to pick up in Cebu which I forgot to do.  The next day went back to the pier and filed a claim and got them back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jawny
12 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

Ive found if you put whatever you buy in your luggage, give it to a porter to load, they dont check anything

Yeah, I considered that.  Trouble is the X-ray techie and the security guys do fuss now and again.  My thoughts were to pack it close to the outside so I can easily remove it if there is a question and have it "secured" for the voyage.

Years ago I had a compressed gas can spotted and they wanted to have it removed and weren’t going to let it on the vessel.  It was AIR for cleaning computer parts.  I guess my tears worked and they allowed it to be loaded.

We were all nervous during the trip that it might explode.  Hell, it might have scared some rooster who would shit salmonella on the passengers.  No concern about shipping critters, but a saw or hammer?  Gotta keep the security theater working....creates a need for jobs.

colemanlee

The key is get a porter, most of the time they do not pass through the xray

A_Simple_Man
1 minute ago, colemanlee said:

I do not recall that particular port but I do know of random times at a number of different ports where the porters have to line up all the luggage for dogs to sniff, so make sure the garden tool has not been near a female dog or a pile of dog poo or that sniffer will go nuts.

(said in a lighthearted way with a little bit of . . you never know what them dogs will sniff)

• Like 1

shadow

CDO seems to have about the strictest security at the port. They took my leatherman, but allowed the guy with the shovel.

Go figure.

• Like 2

Jawny
7 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

We always use porters in Cebu and at pier 1, they use the X-ray machine.  At least that is when we’ve travelled.  Years back, at pier 3 (4?) the machine was usually inoperative. Then it was a matter of getting past the magic stick.

Jawny
2 minutes ago, shadow said:

CDO seems to have about the strictest security at the port. They took my leatherman, but allowed the guy with the shovel.

Go figure.

A few trips back, I carried a long Gardena pole for use with garden attachments.  It was as tall as me.  No issues at all.  Made me chuckle since I watched enough of the "Walking Dead" to know a stick can do a lot of damage.  Of course so can a shovel.  

• Like 1

colemanlee

If we are going to shop for stuff we know we might have trouble with....tools, knifes and such...the wifey just takes the car over on a ro ro, packs it up and no problem at all, one time she forgot to take the pistol our (I keep it under the seat) and they didnt even bother to look....the BIL takes the truck over to Cebu every couple of months full of junk and never had a problem either way....so there is always a way lol

A_Simple_Man
5 hours ago, colemanlee said:

the wifey just takes the car over on a ro ro, packs it up and no problem at all

Yes, I have often taken ferries with fully loaded cars and pick ups and it makes me smile that they use the mirror on the bottom of the car but do not look inside.  Wonder what they expect to find underneath?  Methinks they watch too many Hollywood movies where the gangsters always put a bomb under their  enemy's car.

• Like 2

colemanlee

same here at the malls...some joker standing with a mirror staring at the mirror as the cars roll pass...never look around the car, just watches the mirror as they roll pass....gives me a good chuckle

SkyMan
5 hours ago, colemanlee said:

same here at the malls...some joker standing with a mirror staring at the mirror as the cars roll pass...never look around the car, just watches the mirror as they roll pass....gives me a good chuckle

I laugh to as they mirror under my multicab pickup.  Just what do they think I could hide with a totally exposed undercarriage?

soupeod

They are not trained properly and dont know what to look for.