Jump to content
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

Alk

The joys of Cebu traffic...

Recommended Posts

Woolf
1 hour ago, Travis said:

Was this guy an actual cop?

 

If not could you have not just told him to go to hell and walk off. I dont think that I would have been rude to him but I may have just said go scam someone else as I walked away.

 

NO !

He is a traffic officer, working for CCTO  Cebu City Traffic Office, before it was called CITOM 

Those people are NOT police

Police is PNP Philippine National Police

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TequilaSunset

I have only visited 3 times in the last year, and on my first visit I decided then and there, that if i ever moved to the city... no way am I buying a vehicle of any kind! That traffic is beyond words. Taxi's are just fine, I don't stress, arrive wherever relaxed.

If I lived in the province, a small car/pick up/SUV would suit me fine for local travel and trips.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe

Have come to two conclusions

1. Will probably get a small vehicle when I get back

2. Will not drive it as main transportation - to be used for day trips and early mornings.

We already agree  avoid ANY going / coming back between 3:30 and 6:30 unless walking (Ayala / Fuentes Circle)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
noddle
3 hours ago, Travis said:

Was this guy an actual cop?

 

If not could you have not just told him to go to hell and walk off. I dont think that I would have been rude to him but I may have just said go scam someone else as I walked away.

I was going to ask this exact question,

maybe the guy has his own "No Left Hand Turn" business,,  puts his sign where people can not see it ( unless he points it out to you ), and then hands out fake tickets, hoping to get a 'pay off'

did you ask to see his ID ( identification ) ?

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woolf

The traffic officers from CCTO have an ID carried around the neck and are in uniform

Image result for ccto uniform

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goetz1965
18 hours ago, Alk said:

Then when leaving, I turn left out of the parking lot.   I'm immediately flagged down by a young guy in a yellow shirt with some lettering on it.  He claims I made an illegal left turn and he would have to write me up.  I said I didn't see a sign and there was never one there before.  My girlfriend said the same.  He said there is a temporary sign across the street.   WTF?    I look back and saw a 3 foot high sign that was usually completely blocked by the busy traffic.  He then asked for my license and registration.  Since i still don't have a plastic copy of  my drivers license (tried several times to get it), I gave him my temporary.   He said it was expired.  I said I thought Duterte said drivers licenses were now good for 5 years?   He said no, they are only good for 1 year... ..and that he was going to have to write me up for that too.

I finally said, "can I just pay you here instead of having to go to an office somewhere?"   He said I can only do that if I nobody sees me giving him money.  I said will 500P cover things?    He said yes, as long as I don't tell anyone.   I gave him the money, took off and fought  the usual traffic mess to get home. 

...gotta love those temporary no left hand turn signs.  

I wouldn't have said this a year ago, but now a car is more trouble than it is worth in Cebu.   My blood pressure rises about 30 points every time i drive somewhere.

 


I wonder what people find at this "vikings" - never been there because its way too expensive !

But youre  right - theres usually no "no left turn" sign - guess they put them up mostly to make cash ....!

Otherwise - not knowing the validity of your OR for your drivers license is bad as the date IS on the OR - so READ that

Not knowing how much a traffic violation costs IS BAD too
(ok I didnt know that too when I had my first 2 encounters years ago - but I have Internet) - so heres the PDF from the LTO website JAO_no.2014-01.pdf

This shows - with 500 cash and no ticket youre fine nowadays 
2 years ago "disregarding traffic sign" was only at 150php - now its 1000php - so be carefull !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TequilaSunset
6 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:


I wonder what people find at this "vikings" - never been there because its way too expensive !

But youre  right - theres usually no "no left turn" sign - guess they put them up mostly to make cash ....!

Otherwise - not knowing the validity of your OR for your drivers license is bad as the date IS on the OR - so READ that

Not knowing how much a traffic violation costs IS BAD too
(ok I didnt know that too when I had my first 2 encounters years ago - but I have Internet) - so heres the PDF from the LTO website JAO_no.2014-01.pdf

This shows - with 500 cash and no ticket youre fine nowadays 
2 years ago "disregarding traffic sign" was only at 150php - now its 1000php - so be carefull !

 

^^ THIS. Many things I do not have to worry about not driving in the city. Thankfully walking is not an issue for me (yet)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woolf
Jack Rat
18 hours ago, Alk said:

Went down to SM Mall today.  I thought i gave myself plenty of time to get there,  but I still missed my reservation time at Vikings since it took over 45 mins to make the drive  It would have taken less than 30 minutes a year ago.

Then when leaving, I turn left out of the parking lot.   I'm immediately flagged down by a young guy in a yellow shirt with some lettering on it.  He claims I made an illegal left turn and he would have to write me up.  I said I didn't see a sign and there was never one there before.  My girlfriend said the same.  He said there is a temporary sign across the street.   WTF?    I look back and saw a 3 foot high sign that was usually completely blocked by the busy traffic.  He then asked for my license and registration.  Since i still don't have a plastic copy of  my drivers license (tried several times to get it), I gave him my temporary.   He said it was expired.  I said I thought Duterte said drivers licenses were now good for 5 years?   He said no, they are only good for 1 year... ..and that he was going to have to write me up for that too.

I finally said, "can I just pay you here instead of having to go to an office somewhere?"   He said I can only do that if I nobody sees me giving him money.  I said will 500P cover things?    He said yes, as long as I don't tell anyone.   I gave him the money, took off and fought  the usual traffic mess to get home. 

...gotta love those temporary no left hand turn signs.  

I wouldn't have said this a year ago, but now a car is more trouble than it is worth in Cebu.   My blood pressure rises about 30 points every time i drive somewhere.

 

Sorry, but I am sure you were scammed. Drivers licenses are good for five years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
musicman666
2 hours ago, noddle said:

I was going to ask this exact question,

maybe the guy has his own "No Left Hand Turn" business,,  puts his sign where people can not see it ( unless he points it out to you ), and then hands out fake tickets, hoping to get a 'pay off'

did you ask to see his ID ( identification ) ?

Nigel

You know you might be correct ....on a couple of occasions doing illegal turns (through ignorance) I have had this weird situation where some guy in plain clothes comes running out into the middle of the road to stop me ...of course I just carry on with the self justification that he could be anyone  but later on I realise I just escaped a shakedown from some local opportunist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woolf
2 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

Sorry, but I am sure you were scammed. Drivers licenses are good for five years. 

There must still be drivers licenses out there that have 3 year validity

It is less than 3 years ago that it was changed from 3 to 5 years

if you do not have a OR that say 5 years then license is not valid for 5 years

it is only new or renewed licenses that have 5 year validity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack Rat
4 hours ago, Woolf said:

There must still be drivers licenses out there that have 3 year validity

It is less than 3 years ago that it was changed from 3 to 5 years

if you do not have a OR that say 5 years then license is not valid for 5 years

it is only new or renewed licenses that have 5 year validity

But the scammer told him they are only good for one year....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
22 hours ago, Alk said:

I said will 500P cover things? 

And I heard him exclaim as I drove out of sight......"Woohoo! Jackpot!!"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bama

As an afterthought.

I have been told by 2 lawyers that if asked by the Pulis to see your DL you are required to show it to them but not required to give it to them. If you give your DL to the Pulis (real or a scammer) then you are apt to follow them anywhere that they are inclined to lead you---which might be somewhere that you don't want to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert



  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Guidelines and use of We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..