• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Alk

The joys of Cebu traffic...

Alk

Went down to SM Mall today.  I thought i gave myself plenty of time to get there,  but I still missed my reservation time at Vikings since it took over 45 mins to make the drive  It would have taken less than 30 minutes a year ago.

Then when leaving, I turn left out of the parking lot.   I'm immediately flagged down by a young guy in a yellow shirt with some lettering on it.  He claims I made an illegal left turn and he would have to write me up.  I said I didn't see a sign and there was never one there before.  My girlfriend said the same.  He said there is a temporary sign across the street.   WTF?    I look back and saw a 3 foot high sign that was usually completely blocked by the busy traffic.  He then asked for my license and registration.  Since i still don't have a plastic copy of  my drivers license (tried several times to get it), I gave him my temporary.   He said it was expired.  I said I thought Duterte said drivers licenses were now good for 5 years?   He said no, they are only good for 1 year... ..and that he was going to have to write me up for that too.

I finally said, "can I just pay you here instead of having to go to an office somewhere?"   He said I can only do that if I nobody sees me giving him money.  I said will 500P cover things?    He said yes, as long as I don't tell anyone.   I gave him the money, took off and fought  the usual traffic mess to get home. 

...gotta love those temporary no left hand turn signs.  

I wouldn't have said this a year ago, but now a car is more trouble than it is worth in Cebu.   My blood pressure rises about 30 points every time i drive somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

lopburi3
18 minutes ago, Alk said:

I wouldn't have said this a year ago, but now a car is more trouble than it is worth in Cebu.   My blood pressure rises about 30 points every time i drive somewhere.

Indeed came to that conclusion for Bangkok some 20 years ago - cost of taxi more than offset by not having to pay for car.  Easy enough to charter taxi or van for out of town when required.  And no danger of being responsible for accident (real or not) and putting money into working class hands rather than car dealers, banks or corrupt officials.  

• Like 5

baby43

Yes the wife and myself caught the bus from seaside last Wednesday 25p each did not take long to get there, caught a taxi back to Ramos took about 90 minutes to get home the same trip last time we where here 18 months ago took about 20 to 30 minutes to get home sure it was around 18 months ago last here what a joke sue lots more traffic.

• Like 1

Humboldt

Are your widows Tinted ?  did the traffic enforcer see  ATM machine inside your vehicle ? 

• Haha 1

RogerDat

The only left hand turn out of SM is on east side where taxi  drop you off, beside the big hotel exit. There used to be signs on the exit on SM property. been a while since I drove myself there. I would have taken the enforcer to his office like I did a few years ago when he jumped me for expired registration. His boss explained things for him.

to_dave007
1 hour ago, Alk said:

SM Mall.

when leaving, I turn left out of the parking lot.

Trying to think which exit from SM has EVER permitted a left turn.  Aren't they ALL right turn only?   

RogerDat

Facing the front, on right hand side, beside the hotel exit, U can cross the street, and turn left. It is because of the hotel exit. Taxi does it all the time.

lopburi3

If that was Gate 5 there was a no left turn sign in May 2017 according to Google Maps in center of road.

Edited by lopburi3

GBT62

I was there Sunday. Exited to the right - they kinda blocked any left with a temporary sign/bollard from memory ,,,,, and then go down about 100m then threw a hard Uturn when traffic permitted (unlike every bike/car/bus/jeepney that seems to do it regardless of fast-approaching traffic).

But I guess I know now to keep 500 Php in the glovebox as well :) 

Alk
1 hour ago, GBT62 said:

I was there Sunday. Exited to the right - they kinda blocked any left with a temporary sign/bollard from memory ,,,,, and then go down about 100m then threw a hard Uturn when traffic permitted (unlike every bike/car/bus/jeepney that seems to do it regardless of fast-approaching traffic).

But I guess I know now to keep 500 Php in the glovebox as well :) 

The temporary sign was not in the road for whatever reason and there was nothing blocking the left turn, or of course we wouldn't have been able to do so.  If I'm caught doing something illegal, I'm willing to pay a penalty for doing so   There indeed was a sign..just not in the road.  We did not see it and at both of us are usually pretty observant.   i'm actually appreciative I didn't have to waste a couple of hours dealing with a supervisor and then paying an even bigger fine.   

I'm mostly just passing along a "Living in the Philippines" story to the membership here.  The young man was not being a jerk.  He just kept saying in a fairly friendly voice that he would have to write me up and then i would have to proceed to another location. It finally dawned on me that the whole point of what he was doing during our 2-3 minute discussion, was waiting for me to offer him money.  Once I did, all discussion of my license being expired and me making a illegal left turn was immediately dropped.  Within 15 seconds, I gave him the money and I was on my way. 

I'm happy that he took my opening offer.  I would have went higher.

I'm going on my 4th year here....As long as you can put up with minor issues here, I think the Philippines is a great place to live and that Filipinos are among the friendliest people in the world. 

Edited by Alk
  • Like 2

Davaoeno
4 hours ago, Alk said:

but I still missed my reservation time at Vikings

I always turn up at Vikings about an hour after my reservation time. Sometimes they even phone me . Once twice. I just say " im on my way"   Then go back to watching the end of the movie !! 

Bama
6 minutes ago, Alk said:

The young man was not being a jerk.  He just kept saying in a fairly friendly voice that he would have to write me up and then i would have to proceed to another location.

Let me interpret:

He just kept saying in a fairly friendly voice (PAY ME) that he would have to write me up (PAY ME) and then I would have to proceed to another location (PAY ME).

The cop ultimately got paid but how are the traffic issues in Cebu (and elsewhere in the PI) going to be resolved if enforcement of the rules is based on the ability to pay ? BTW I would have paid the cop off also.

musicman666

The main point I take from all of this is the good old 500p in the wallet still works ...good to know ...restores my faith in Filipino humanity. 

• Haha 1

Travis

Was this guy an actual cop?

If not could you have not just told him to go to hell and walk off. I dont think that I would have been rude to him but I may have just said go scam someone else as I walked away.

sugbu777

We have our own vehicle, but never drive ourselves. Who needs the hassle. We just have the wife's nephew drive us wherever we want to go.