Salty Dog

Those Were The Days

lopburi3

As said M-80's were only an independence day treat in NE back in the 50's.  Rest of the year we made our own gunpowder from sulfur, saltpeter and charcoal.  Local drug store always gave strange look when I asked for another pound tube - then again there was the other supposed use for saltpeter.  

• Like 1

Alfred E. Neuman
12 hours ago, shadow said:

We didn't have streets, either. We had roads (gravel) and trails (dirt/mud). The nearest pavement was 16 miles of mountain road away.

Back then, we didn‘t have feet!

• Haha 2

shadow
4 minutes ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

Back then, we didn‘t have feet!

Oh I had feet,...

With webbing between the toes!

Topper
6 hours ago, TequilaSunset said:

Plastic film container filled with magnesium sulfate. Duct taped big time, with a nice long fuse. Left a nice size hole in the yard.

I emptied the contents of every firecracker in a mat of firecrackers (144 packs) into an old medicine container of mom's, wrapped it in electrical tape, inserted an fuze into it and brought it down to a lot at the end of the street.  We had no idea what to expect when I lit the fuse, but I was smart enough to give it enough room, thank God. When that went off it blew a hole in the ground and shook the windows of the houses in the area around the lot. We did a "holy sh*t" and ran like hell. And yes, I was one of those guys who would tape firecrackers to those wooden planes, lite the fuse and watch it explode in the air. That was sooooooo cool. It was fun growing up in those days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

lamoe

Also home made toys

Large thread spool - rubber band - bobby pin - pencil - to make a tank

Bend bobby pin  legs out - push rubber band through hole in spool  - attach to pin   - slip over pencil - wind up pencil like a propeller -  place on floor - let go 

Whirligig - as large a button as you could find - very strong thread - 2 pencils  - run thread through two opposite holes in button -  tie to make loop - slip over pencils - flip so button starts spinning - alternatively pull hands apart and time so button rewinds thread

Recently saw modern version that had led lights that came on when spun - same concept as was show as low cost blood separator

Darts - kitchen matches - needles - paper - cut off head - cut 2 slits - make flights out of paper and slip into slots - push needle into other end

Same as above only glue cotton from cotton ball to end and use straw = blow gun

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

Semper paratus

We used to put a co2 cartridge in a old coffee can, cover it just barely with gasoline, lite the gas, run for cover. It took awhile but when the gas burned down far enough, kaboom ! That was fun until some stupid neighbor kid decided he'd try it. We told him you have to wait, do not go look. He thought it was too long so the idiot went and looked. This time it did not blow up, but the plug in the back where they fill the cartridge blew out and the thing took off like a bullet hitting the jerk in the head. Didn't kill him but the jackass told his mommy what happened. They made the purchasing of co2 cartridges illegal after that unless you were 18 or over. That is the last thing we ever shared with the jerk. 

Semper paratus

I am not saying I did this, but,,,,,,,,,,, if you catch a nice rockbass with a big mouth, stick in a cherry bomb, lite it, put the fish back in the water quickly, kaboom ! Fish soup. Don't tell my Mom I did this. Opps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lamoe

Stole some dry ice - gallon milk jug (before plastic)  - broke up ice using  hammer / long pump handle pliers - (never said we were smart) - put in jug - 1/4 fill with warm water - tape on cap  -  put in garbage can quickly  (not that stupid)

RUN!!!! Whoa!!

Winter - take lid from metal garbage can in alley - flatten handle - use as sled

image.png.d69455433d822d872cc1ac2e30dfc086.png

KID

You boys would be charged with domestic terrorism these days

• Haha 1

Mr. Mike

When I was in high school my buddies and I had a nerdy friend who liked explosives. One summer we were all at his house, in his room, when he showed us his new business card. Yup, he actually had some made. It read..........Lance Peterson, Director of Research, Peterson Laboratories.

He said he was sending letters to various chemical companies for free chemical samples to evaluate in his so called research.

We weren't sure what he was ordering but he told us we would be able to mix these chemical powders together and make flash/black power. .................forward a few weeks.

Lance was a serious dude, even had his own primitive lab behind the garage...including a vented smoke box. He mixed a few combinations together while we watched, and as his capable lab assistants he allowed us to test/ ignite each mixture ....after he left the room. I'm kidding.

It didn't take long before our nerdy hero found the proper formula. It was silvery in color and had a pasty consistency. It worked GREAT. We would use cardboard paper cores for most of our large firecrackers. We would pack the core with powder. crimp the ends, dip the ends in wax, and insert the fuse...... empty soup cans were used as well when we wanted to go nuclear ..................we had a fun summer blowing stuff up.

I do remember one time as we were busy "working in the lab", his mother called out from the back porch and yelled "Laneee, you're going to blow yourself up if you not careful" I stuck my head out and said "Ma...what about the rest of us?".............we called her Ma too. She just went back into the house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Salty Dog

motivatore8f77e6c26ccc4bb15e905064c9426ae6696ba7d.jpg

• Haha 2

Kahuna

Image may contain: one or more people and text

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

sugbu777

learned this one summer visiting my cousins in New England

THE INCREDIBLE FLOATING BULLFROG

1. catch bullfrog

2. pick long hollow reed from side of creek/pond/lake/body of water

3. insert reed into bullfrog's anus

4. inflate bullfrog by blowing into reed

5. throw bullfrog back into water and observe that bullfrog will attempt to submerge but will pop back to surface.

THE INCREDIBLE EXPLODING BULLFROG

1. shoot above mentioned inflated bullfrog with BB gun.

2. observe bullfrog explode

HOW BULLFROG COUNTERACTS ABOVE scenarios

1. inflated bullfrog farts out air

Damn, we were sick kids :P

Edited by sugbu777
  • Haha 3

lamoe
25 minutes ago, sugbu777 said:

learned this one summer visiting my cousins in New England

THE INCREDIBLE FLOATING BULLFROG

1. catch bullfrog

2. pick long hollow reed from side of creek/pond/lake/body of water

3. insert reed into bullfrog's anus

4. inflate bullfrog by blowing into reed

5. throw bullfrog back into water and observe that bullfrog will attempt to submerge but will pop back to surface.

THE INCREDIBLE EXPLODING BULLFROG

1. shoot above mentioned inflated bullfrog with BB gun.

2. observe bullfrog explode

HOW BULLFROG COUNTERACTS ABOVE scenarios

1. inflated bullfrog farts out air

Damn, we were sick kids :P

How many of you guys became Proctologists?

• Haha 1

Salty Dog

12376378_938837359528183_2744947099590889688_n.jpg

• Haha 2