• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Salty Dog

Those Were The Days

shadow

We never had fancy store bought fireworks. However, everybody was into reloading shells so no shortage of gunpowder around. Those film canisters full of powder are like a quarter stick of dynamite when they go off. Seal em off good with a waterproof wick, and no need for a fishing pole.

• Like 2

lamoe

To change direction

Remember when  "go out and play" meant playing in the street?

• Like 2

shadow
9 minutes ago, lamoe said:

To change direction

We didn't have streets, either. We had roads (gravel) and trails (dirt/mud). The nearest pavement was 16 miles of mountain road away.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1

lamoe
24 minutes ago, shadow said:

We didn't have streets, either. We had roads (gravel) and trails (dirt/mud). The nearest pavement was 16 miles of mountain road away.

Trade you a trail for a street

Would have loved a street this wide and less travled

Headshot
26 minutes ago, shadow said:

I'll bet you had to walk five miles in the snow (uphill both directions) just to get to school, didn't you?

• Haha 2

the.lone.gunman
2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I'll bet you had to walk five miles in the snow (uphill both directions) just to get to school, didn't you?

.....and we had to walk backwards cuz the wind was so cold.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

shadow
6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

No, I either rode the bus 16 miles, or the motorcycle 3 miles. The trails were the much shorter route. And we very seldom had snow, but it rained 240 days out of the year.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

lamoe

For us - it was crossing the streets to get to school

Had public service announcements for drivers to remind them  school was starting

Headshot
46 minutes ago, shadow said:

No, I either rode the bus 16 miles, or the motorcycle 3 miles. The trails were the much shorter route. And we very seldom had snow, but it rained 240 days out of the year.

Same here (except if I missed the bus, I had to run the three miles). I just remember my dad's stories about the hardships of growing up in northern Michigan, and your dirt trails comment reminded me of that. For much of the school year, he had to cross country ski (over a series of ridges) to and from school.

The best story was when he was ten years old, he was skiing along a fence line and noticed a great snowy owl sitting on a fence post, so naturally (he was a ten-year-old boy after all), he grabbed the owl by the legs as he skied past. No sooner had he grabbed the owl, the owl turned its talons and grabbed him by the wrists (its talons sinking deep into his wrists). It was everything he could do to let go of that owl and get it to let go of him. He skied the rest of the way to school trailing blood in the snow.

I know that the story is true. He is 93 years old, and he still has the scars on his wrists where that owl tore into him. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

To change direction

My dad loved me more...he'd tell me to go out and play in the Freeway

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ozepete
1 hour ago, shadow said:

This reminded me, my old man got a soldier settlement farm after the war and we too had gravel roads and dirt tracks. The nearest sealed road was about 5 miles away.

Dad had a black Jaguar mark7 the only one of its type around. Anyways he had been taken off to the war hospital for a week or two so my older bro (he was about 14 and me 8) found the Jay keys and drove it over to the sealed road where we did a few very fast laps! We put it back in the shed, swept away tyre tracks etc so he wouldn't know. All went well when he got home until he went to the pub and some blabber mouth said 'Geeezus Russ, you was in a bloody big hurry the other day'! ....  (It's hard eating ya dinner standing up!!!) :o

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Headshot
1 minute ago, Dafey said:

My dad loved me more...he'd tell me to go out and play in the Freeway

Obviously, you weren't very good at following directions even then... 

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

softail

In 1960 a colonization group was formed to start a colony in the Galápagos Islands, Dad got a wild hair up his ass and joined. Long story short, we ended up stranded in the Galapagos with $20 dollars in our pockets at a time when it was one of the most remote places on earth. Was a great adventure. Explored many of the remote islands, caught 6 ft sharks off the dock we lived on as well as countless other adventures. Never finished the 4th grade, never went to the 5th, caught the last couple of months of the 6th but it was well worth it.

• Like 3

TequilaSunset

Plastic film container filled with magnesium sulfate. Duct taped big time, with a nice long fuse. Left a nice size hole in the yard.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

You just never know what a picture of an M-80 will bring up from a member's past...:thumbsup:

• Like 1