Bama

How to clean and seal a pebble stone walkway.

Bama

I have a pebble stone walkway kinda like the one pictured below. I need to clean and seal the walkways surface.

The internet is all over the place about methods and products to use. I need a next to foolproof method to accomplish this task.Thanks

5a8170e196ced_pebblestone.thumb.jpg.0ff72f508fbba48429e419a167948b8e.jpg

cebubird

We had pebblestone walkways and pool deck, and it was simple, we just got one of the local guys to do it. You probably have dozens of guys all around who can do it.

Jawny

I have two methods, neither very effective.  I use laborers with scrub brushes when the algae builds up.  Other times I use a high pressure sprayer like the ones used at car washes.  The brush method is not complete, as some algae is really strongly attached.  The sprayer works, but too well as some of the grout can be loosened.  No sealant used

Davaoeno

I redid a driveway about the same size in Canada. I sprayed it first with a 3000psi sprayer, and then sprayed it with a coating i bought at Home Depot. The cost of the sealant as i recall was about  $1500 usd and that was 10 years ago .  But it lasted for many years

Jester

Noticed something,  locally driveways and sidewalks are pressure washed.  Was doing some cleaning with bleach and where I cleaned the driveway looked clean. No big surprise, soap bleach, looks clean. 

But the bleach is killing the fungus, algae, mold, what ever it is.  So cleaning with bleach first could be beneficial. Bleach needs time so best to apply at night so it can soak for as long as possible or cover with plastic. 

Now I have some growth on asphalt shingles and can't bring myself to use bleach so going to experiment with something like Oxyclean.  DON"T use generic Oxyclean type products they leave a horrible residue!  

Bama
11 hours ago, cebubird said:

We had pebblestone walkways and pool deck, and it was simple, we just got one of the local guys to do it. You probably have dozens of guys all around who can do it.

A local guy doing the work is usually a good option. Would you pay 10K PHP to clean and seal a walkway 15M long and a meter wide? That is the amount that a local guy recently estimated.

We have a couple of guys who worked on the farm daily who could do the work but it will require instruction about how to do it from me. That's why I was asking for the method/materials for cleaning and sealing the walkway.Thanks to every one for their response.

SkyMan
18 minutes ago, Bama said:

We have a couple of guys who worked on the farm daily who could do the work but it will require instruction about how to do it from me.

Wax on, wax off.

• Like 2

fred42

I found a good way to seal stuff like that... Mix 2 gallons of petrol thoroughly with a tube of silicone..Filter it through some mesh and put it all in a garden sprayer.. Spray the surface of whatever you want to seal..
Like water off a ducks back!!

noddle
12 hours ago, Jester said:

Now I have some growth on asphalt shingles and can't bring myself to use bleach so going to experiment with something like Oxyclean.  DON"T use generic Oxyclean type products they leave a horrible residue!  

Would very hot water / steam kill your 'shingles' ?

Jester
1 hour ago, noddle said:

Would very hot water / steam kill your 'shingles' ?

?? Good question,  renting steam cleaners is also possible around here. 

Oz Jon

Not sure if this would work for algae on a driveway, but:-

I had black mold growing on my epoxy yacht ceiling panels (when it was closed off for a while, unoccupied, in a tropical climate).

Scrubbing with diluted chlorine bleach worked for a while, but the growth soon returns.

Then I tried "oil-of-cloves" (you can buy very small bottles of it for $10-20 at markets, at the stalls which sell all kinds of oils, scents and "natural magic potions"). You don't need much of it...that's a lifetime supply!

I mixed 5 or 6 drops in a litre (quart) of warm water with a dash of washing-up detergent (to help mix it). Shake vigorously and spray on to the mold. Mold gone in <24hrs, dead!  still gone 6 months later.

Easy to do - and it smells quite nice - reminds me of Indonesia! - Lol!

ps I trialed this with actual cloves - ground them up , added a bit of alcohol, then into the water/detergent mix, shook it, let it stand overnight, then filtered the liquid mix and sprayed it - that worked too! Using the oil is more powerful and less effort.

Edited by Oz Jon

noddle
23 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

Then I tried "oil-of-cloves" (you can buy very small bottles of it for $10-20 at markets, at the stalls which sell all kinds of oils, scents and "natural magic potions"). You don't need much of it...that's a lifetime supply!

'Oil-of-clove'  works wonders on a toothache also,  just does not taste very nice..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lopburi3

remove off topic

Edited by lopburi3
Remove off-topic post.

KID