• Commercial Banner Advertisers

billy
1 hour ago, RedRanger said:

Here is my observation. The old and  rich can get a Tourist Visa, the rest get the shaft in the Philippines.

i'll find out on the 28th but that's what i'm thinking

Headshot
10 minutes ago, billy said:

i'll find out on the 28th but that's what i'm thinking

There is no predicting how these things will turn out. My wife had a bad experience when she first applied for a tourist visa, but I took her to the US on a spousal visa, and then she was able to get a tourist visa after she voluntarily surrendered her green card at the US Embassy in Manila. Of the teenagers who were in our wedding party (bridesmaids and groomsmen), four of them have been successful in getting tourist visas to the US. Their grandmother is a US citizen living in Las Vegas, and they used her as their reason for visiting the US. Luckily for two of them, the consular officer didn't know they were also going to visit their father (who is a TNT working as a caregiver in the US). Three others from our wedding party (from the same family) got immigration visas to Canada (and are now living and working in British Columbia). All three of them have also gotten tourist visas to the US (to visit Grandma), but they applied in Canada. None of them had money or connections to help them get their visas. So, getting a tourist visa isn't impossible, and there is no way to know for sure whether or not somebody will get a visa until they have their interview. However, you need to know going in that the odds are not good (something like 20:1 against), and prepare your GF for that possibility. Reading your story, I would say that her chances aren't very good.

• Like 1

lopburi3
25 minutes ago, Headshot said:

However, you need to know going in that the odds are not good (something like 20:1 against)

Do not believe there is any recent public information on the number of rejections but would be very surprised if figure were anywhere near that number.  My guess would be about 80% approval.  I am not a gambler but believe application is worth the risk for most.  People have a reason to write if rejected - if approved they are much less likely to mention it.

Headshot
27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Do not believe there is any recent public information on the number of rejections but would be very surprised if figure were anywhere near that number.  My guess would be about 80% approval.  I am not a gambler but believe application is worth the risk for most.  People have a reason to write if rejected - if approved they are much less likely to mention it.

Sit outside the consular area at the US Embassy in Manila some time. Almost half of the applicants come out still holding their passports (you don't do that if you were accepted because they take your passport to put the visa in), and many come out in tears (because they didn't expect that outcome). Of course, those coming out include applicants for all of the visa types, so you have to read something into the results. For spousal and fiance visas, the approval rate is extremely high. Also, those working on ships also have a high acceptance rate. Those applying for straight tourist visas (not connected to some professional conference or something) are sucking the hind tit, and their odds aren't that great for approval. Add to that a romantic connection with an American citizen, and the odds drop even further. Many from LinC forums have tried for a tourist visa for their wife or GF, but few have been successful on the first go-around. Most who are successful have to take alternate paths to eventually get a tourist visa.

• Like 3