• Commercial Banner Advertisers

slowsmile

Building a house in the Cebu provinces -- cheaply.

Dafey
12 minutes ago, hyaku said:

Well, I beg to differ on your ideas. When I bought my house it looked a lot like yours. Bare galvanized with no ceilings etc. We started work on the cosmetics one August. The roof will get so hot you can fry an egg on it. As my insulation and ceilings went up it was like shutting an oven door. I labored for the carpenter cutting the insulation for him to put up. He did burn himself a few times. I have been in Asia over forty years now. We insulate in Asia to shut the heat out. We have a couple of fans but hardly ever use them and need blankets to sleep this time of year.

My windows are like yours with a few made bigger with aluminum frames. All windows have mosquito mesh and stay open 24/7 with exception to the bedroom. Otherwise our house would be mosquito city.

Also, you can put a ceiling in and an exhaust fan in the attic which turns the entire attic into insulation. 

Jawny
41 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

I have an interesting story to tell which, I think is relevant to the build. Our plot was 400 sqm -- 30m x 13m. I was not part of the final sale and haggling at the solicitors but my wife told me all about it. The seller of the property proposed that she should write only a quarter of the actual price paid for the plot on our official receipt. The seller then said there were great tax advantages for both parties if you do this. She explained that from her side it works to her advantage because she would only have to declare and be taxed on only a quarter of actual moneys received from the sale. She also explained that doing this would also benefit us because our yearly house tax would, for the most part, be assessed on the amount we paid for our land(from the official receipt). The result of this was that we now only pay a quarter of the house tax that we should pay. I think it's something less than 500 pesos a year. And when my wife questioned the seller about this she laughed and said that this was just the way normal business was done in the provinces.

Just wondering if anyone else anyone else has had this sort of experience in the provinces with there own land purchase?    

For some reason, your font is nearly black and very hard to read with a dark shade??

This sort of adjusting the sale price is common, but does NOT always work.  For us, same advice, same process, and the tax assessor said not gonna happen.  The tax assesssment was made on a more accurate value when I bought unimproved farmland.  

I might add that this is a corrupt practice and any lawyer that goes along with it is at risk, along with other parties.

Don't misinterpet my comments to mean I’m going to fight for a corrupt free government.  The same office that made the assessment cost us more ended up pocketing a large chunk of change later.

On that same property, we built a house.  We ended up neglecting to get the new assessment done until a couple of years had passed.  Maybe longer.  What I recall was an assessor showing up one day and offering to assist us in getting our taxes squared away.  Surprised, we went to the assessors office and witnessed an his ass chewing.  The guy at our house was the assessors subordinate and had stumbled upon the knowledge of our delinquency.  More likely, a jealous neighbor had snitched (crab mentality at its finest). 

His boss, the assessor was the one to handle these, and we learned quickly why.  In the middle of the office, with no effort to hide the transaction, the assessor offered us a price to back date the documents.  Corrupt and illegal as hell.  Everyone in the office knows this.  His subordinate had just tried to steal the action.

Even as we were settling the matter, the assessor had a person selling jewelry stop by and interrupt the transaction.  Like watching an undercover movie with a script.  Movie called "How to be corrupt and enjoy the good life".  Be the boss!

TequilaSunset

Having a hard time wrapping my head around the no insulation. Living in Cali where temps get into the 100's like nobodies business,  not insulating the heck out of the attic would be foolish. I'm thinking it's the diff between having AC and an open air layout?

hyaku
33 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Also, you can put a ceiling in and an exhaust fan in the attic which turns the entire attic into insulation. 

Did that first of all. it was blowing so cold after insulation we took it out.

• Like 1

JohnSurrey
1 hour ago, hyaku said:

Well, I beg to differ on your ideas. When I bought my house it looked a lot like yours. Bare galvanized with no ceilings etc. We started work on the cosmetics one August. The roof will get so hot you can fry an egg on it. As my insulation and ceilings went up it was like shutting an oven door. I labored for the carpenter cutting the insulation for him to put up. He did burn himself a few times. I have been in Asia over forty years now. We insulate in Asia to shut the heat out. We have a couple of fans but hardly ever use them and need blankets to sleep this time of year.

My windows are like yours with a few made bigger with aluminum frames. All windows have mosquito mesh and stay open 24/7 with exception to the bedroom. Otherwise our house would be mosquito city.

What insulation did you use ?

slowsmile
2 hours ago, Jawny said:

For some reason, your font is nearly black and very hard to read with a dark shade??

This sort of adjusting the sale price is common, but does NOT always work.  For us, same advice, same process, and the tax assessor said not gonna happen.  The tax assesssment was made on a more accurate value when I bought unimproved farmland.  

I might add that this is a corrupt practice and any lawyer that goes along with it is at risk, along with other parties.

Don't misinterpet my comments to mean I’m going to fight for a corrupt free government.  The same office that made the assessment cost us more ended up pocketing a large chunk of change later.

On that same property, we built a house.  We ended up neglecting to get the new assessment done until a couple of years had passed.  Maybe longer.  What I recall was an assessor showing up one day and offering to assist us in getting our taxes squared away.  Surprised, we went to the assessors office and witnessed an his ass chewing.  The guy at our house was the assessors subordinate and had stumbled upon the knowledge of our delinquency.  More likely, a jealous neighbor had snitched (crab mentality at its finest). 

His boss, the assessor was the one to handle these, and we learned quickly why.  In the middle of the office, with no effort to hide the transaction, the assessor offered us a price to back date the documents.  Corrupt and illegal as hell.  Everyone in the office knows this.  His subordinate had just tried to steal the action.

Even as we were settling the matter, the assessor had a person selling jewelry stop by and interrupt the transaction.  Like watching an undercover movie with a script.  Movie called "How to be corrupt and enjoy the good life".  Be the boss!

I don't really know where you've built your house but I'm guessing(probably wrongly) that maybe you have not built your house in my area. I've lived in the Phils for twelve years, first in San Fernando City LU up in Luzon, then here on the north side of Cebu island. What I've noticed and learned is that local laws and ways of doing things(read corruption) vary widely from region to region. Also it's fairly well known that taxes in general are much lower in the provinces than in and around the cities in the Phils. Our electric and city water bills are 50% less  than when we lived in San Fernando City. Internet is 30% cheaper for the same Mb speed. And that's because SF is a city(higher taxes), whereas I now live in an agricultural region(lower taxes) with the nearest city about 60 miles away to the south(Toledo). I would also never classify Toledo as a city -- it's more like a ribbon village with a Jollibee.

Concerning my house, the inspectors came to assess our house and they signed it off without a problem. They didn't even question the official receipt from the seller so we got away with it. 

Lastly, it's particularly pleasing for me to realize that occasionally .... just occasionally...you can take some advantage of all that bureaucratic crap, inefficiency and corruption and ... just occasionallly and for once ...make it all work to your own advantage and beat them at their own game. 

Edited by slowsmile
  • Like 3

trthebees
On 16/02/2018 at 10:21 AM, slowsmile said:

i agree with you. My roof is a very pale light green. A white or pale colored roof will reflect the heat more and prevent absorption of radiant heat into the living areas of the house. 

I also did something else to the roof area which might surprise you and some others on this forum. I went through alot of hard thinking about insulating the roof of my house.

Question: Why do all houses in UK(and colder countries)  use glass fibre or plastic foam insulation in the roof ? 

Answer: UK has cold, wet and damp weather. So the purpose of house insulation in UK is to KEEP THE HEAT IN THE HOUSE TO SAVE ON FUEL BILLS. The latter outcome is exactly what you do not want when you build a house in the hot tropics -- where you always want to keep the living areas of your house cool !!

Consequently, I used no insulation at all in the roof area of my new house. I am relying on natural air convection from my open windows in the living areas to draw the hot air up and out of the roof. So far this is working well. My new house is always cool as a result of this approach. If it gets hot in the house, I just open some windows. I also saved  a great deal of money -- tens of thousands of pesos --  because I did not put any insulation into the roof area. Furthermore in our open plan living areas  -- kitchen, living room and dining room -- we don't have aircon because it's cool enough. More money saved.

I think that it's perhaps fairer to give a proper judgement of the above house cooling strategy after the hot season this year. At the moment, we just use fans to cool the living areas without any problems. However, we do have aircon in our master bedroom. 

Interesting. I thought about it a lot too. In the end, as the insulation came quite cheap from the roofing people, it was put in. But after some investigation, we found that in a hot climate the insulation works best if suspended, or rather supported, between the roof and the ceiling...not directly under the sheets or lying on the ceiling. It's not been done quite as I'd have liked...midway...but is on a tie-wire grid a few inches above the ceiling as I was away for a month or so at that time.. But the ceiling sheets do stay cool, so I suppose it works. Flipping itchy stuff here though, doesn't seem so itchy in the UK!

Our roof space is vented at the gable ends with mesh covered holes, and the soffits are about 30% the vented type where they are pressed out with tiny strip type holes.

Interesting about the paint colour too. I was going to go for white or cream or other very light colour for heat reasons, but my preference really was for a mid-green appearance. But reading web stuff it does seem that while whitish colours have higher heat reflection, darker colours have greater heat emission which I suppose works best in the evenings. So if the ceiling arrangement can keep daytime heat in the roofspace, hopefully the heat is radiated out at night. All a bit suck-it-and-see! 

Jawny

I recall extensive discussion of this topic several times in the past.  Some deep dive engineering info from LinC members.

What I have done with satisfaction is had insulation installed under the roofing using the roof supports with tie wire.  An airgap exists between roofing and insulation.  Just recently had the roof replaced and the insulation remained in place while the roofing was installed.

I don’t use any air conditioning, nor do I have ceiling vents or fans.  However, I do have good air movement through the attic space.  No fans, but lots of airflow from the eaves upward.

Our home is comfortable on the hottest days.  

Of course, the cost of insulation can add to the overall cost of building the house.  For me, it was a simple choice as I’ve always had success with this sort of insulation under the roofing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan

Another advantage of insulation is cutting the rain noise.

• Thanks 1

hyaku
9 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

What insulation did you use ?

This stuff.

PE-Foam-Insulation-bare-1-side-Aluminized.jpg