• Commercial Banner Advertisers

slowsmile

Building a house in the Cebu provinces -- cheaply.

TequilaSunset
32 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

It's still tipping down with rain outside so I can't really take any decent photos of the outside house at the moment. So here are some pictures of the inside of the house.

Here are some pics of the open-plan living room, kitchen, dining room:

View - Living Room to Kitchen

Really like that open feeling! Thanks for sharing

• Like 2

to_dave007

Looks good to me..  And if it was done within budget even better.

slowsmile
3 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Looks good to me..  And if it was done within budget even better.

My budget or ongoing aim is to try and build a good quality 3 bedroom bungalow at a total cost(land + build labour + materials) of $40,000(GBP 29,000). So far we are well within budget, but there are still some major jobs  to complete before the house is finished.  

• Like 2

trthebees
5 hours ago, Humboldt said:

I built my house the Filipino way , i didn't want a concrete hollow block house , still standing strong after 12yrs

high ceilings large screened windows ,, no need for stand fans most nights , much cheaper at the time

i have sense build a house out of concrete ,, so if the big bad wolf blows down my bamboo house i have a place to run lol

Rather similar situation for me. About 2003 we built our present house, native, coco lumber, amakan and nipa roof. Small by most western standards at about 40 sqm total but on a 140 sqm lot in a beautiful position. One re-nipa about 3 years ago.Used lots of Solignum, so holding up to the termites...I think!

But we're just finishing a simple concrete house, about 60 sqm on a lot up the road on my wifes fathers lot, but owned by my wife. Complicated reasoning, but a relative was overtaking the lot and we needed to establish ourselves there and similarly have a bolthole.

Supervised ourselves, my wife's good at that. Just finishing wiring and plumbing. Surface wiring in trunking. Only irritation was the 1.6 wire was nicely annealed, the 2.0 was very stiff from the same company.And I had to return (locally fortunately) some of the 1/2 GI pipe as it was virtually unthreadable, bad ERW. It was unmarked. A properly labelled pipe threaded lovely. And why don't they stock pipe clips, or saddle clamps...very frustrating.Just a couple of grumps, minor in the overall progress of things.

But to Slowsmile, you've done a great job. I like the inclusion of RC cross beams, good for shake resistance. And very nice house for the budget.

Headshot
7 hours ago, slowsmile said:

This is the finished master bedroom:

DSC_0001.JPG

A ceiling and paint on the walls does make a huge difference, doesn't it? Very nice.

• Like 1

SkyMan
23 hours ago, slowsmile said:

@Skyman...Don't take this the wrong way but the answer to your question was answered in my first post and I really don't want to explain it all again. The quick answer is that I did promise my wife that I would not build my house the European way. I would build it the Filipino way. I also had to build my house with limited funds and budget accordingly. I hope the reasons are clearer now. Basically if you haven't got the dosh, then don't try and build a European mansion. 

Sorry if my post sounded negative.  I was just confused when you said you were building the Filipino way and then described what sounds like a very well made house.  I guess you are talking about not importing a bunch of expensive furnishings from Europe or wherever. I totally agree that would be a waste of money unless you had closets full of money and didn't care.  Although furniture is a consideration I really don't include that in the 'construction' of a house.  Unless you're talking about importing things like Italian marble or whatever that are going to be part of the house.  Who needs that?  When I hear the phrase Filipino way in construction, I think of cabinet doors that don't open because the tile guy ran the tile up to the door or bathroom doors that bang into the toilet or the sink.  Like you said, you need to be there every day to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen.

• Like 2

ttmctoad

Hat's off to you slowsmile. 

• Like 2

slowsmile
21 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Sorry if my post sounded negative.  I was just confused when you said you were building the Filipino way and then described what sounds like a very well made house.  I guess you are talking about not importing a bunch of expensive furnishings from Europe or wherever. I totally agree that would be a waste of money unless you had closets full of money and didn't care.  Although furniture is a consideration I really don't include that in the 'construction' of a house.  Unless you're talking about importing things like Italian marble or whatever that are going to be part of the house.  Who needs that?  When I hear the phrase Filipino way in construction, I think of cabinet doors that don't open because the tile guy ran the tile up to the door or bathroom doors that bang into the toilet or the sink.  Like you said, you need to be there every day to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen.

I'm with you and agree on everything you've said in your post. I also have to say that my wife's family were tremendously helpful with our house problems. They saved me a truckload of money. They all had houses in Balamban and knew where to buy the construction stuff locally at low or reasonable prices. I went to Wilcon in Cebu to have a look at their sliding windows. Each 1m x 1m plastic sliding window cost PHP 12,000 pesos!! So instead I was advised by the family to  use a local Chinese gent who eventually hand-made all our metal cottage-style  windows(12) in the house -- and all my windows are 1.5m x 1.5m square. That cost us only PHP 3,420 for each window and his price also included the complete window installation. The windows were welded in properly to the concrete rebars. My wife's family put us on to that local Chinese window-maker and they've done so much more to help  us save money that it really astonishes me(this isn't always the case with Filipino in-laws as I'm sure you must already know). I think the generosity of my wife's family is perhaps because they are from the mountains and not the lowlands. From my time in the Phils, when I was living in San Fernando city in LU, the locals(lowlanders) would always try and and make money off us in any way that they could. And, even now, when my wife goes to the wet market she tells me not to come with her because if anyone saw me with her in the wet market, the price immediately goes up because I'm a rich white man with money bursting out of my closets.     

• Like 3

slowsmile
43 minutes ago, ttmctoad said:

Hat's off to you slowsmile. 

Thanks to you for that. I'm doing my best with the build, happy so far. 

• Like 1

Mandingo

Great post :)

This type of post helps us all so keep them coming.........

• Like 1

Mr. Mike

Great topic Slowsmile...quite fascinating actually. Keep the pics coming when you can, and welcome to the forum.

slowsmile

Here some more photos of the outside of the new houses. As you can see, we have a ways to go yet before its finished.

Here's a view of the outside of the new house from the north side:

DSC_0011.thumb.JPG.fb81314fc87f9616fdcb7fe6dd0eb904.JPG

This view is from the south side of the house. Really love the wacky banana trees!!...lol:

DSC_0012.thumb.JPG.72332674321d7cf37ae099efb41126e0.JPG

Please note that our roof has quite a low pitch or slant. I insisted on this. In San Fernando LU I had the pleasure of experiencing the full force of supertyphoon "Pepeng". That scared the sh*t out of me. This was an unusual supertyphoon . It was huge and vicious with 165km/hr winds!! I remember that it came up from the south and passed slowly to the north. About 300 miles to the north, "Pepeng" changed its damn mind, did a 180 turn and came straight back to San Fernando and sat over us for at least three days. The house and roof devastation was horrific in our area. We lived near the sea and the shanty behind us(9 feet lower than our house compound) flooded from the sea because of winds and rip tides. The flood was 4 ft high and they had to evacuate all babies and kids from the shanty. It was a real mess.

So why did I build my house with such a low pitch(flatter) roof ?

....Because such a roof presents much less resistance against the 165km/hr lateral winds of a supertypphoon.

I'm taking no chances, mate...lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

slowsmile

Here's some photos of our front drive, shaded porch and garage area:

DSC_0008.thumb.JPG.025552e55d4a5c1f0b572f6e8210d256.JPG

DSC_0010.thumb.JPG.acd5fe825b79189c375ca25d407d1372.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

slowsmile

Finally another view of the drive. At the far end I'm going to build a simple double open garage -- consisting of five strong circular steel supports, concrete,  with a  reinforced galvanized tin roof. The whole forecourt will be concrete except at the rims -- where my wife can grow her flowers and orchids and I can grow my herbs and vines with, perhaps, a small tree here and there at the far corners for some extra shade. My wife is already growing ampalaya, kamote and beans in the back garden. She has even planted several Malunggay trees -- she always uses Malunggay leaves in her sinigang. 

DSC_0013.JPG.bb2e878849c4a683c2352448d9a37067.JPG

Edited by slowsmile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

noddle

are you planing on capturing the run of water from the roof,  to use for gardening ?