Jump to content
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

slowsmile

Building a house in the Cebu provinces -- cheaply.

Recommended Posts

battleborn

Welcome to the forum. Nice post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bama
9 hours ago, slowsmile said:
Quote

 Skyman said:

Are you saying you intentionally made the bathroom doors hit the sinks or what?

Forgive me, but I don't have a clue what you're talking about.  

What is being suggested here is that often when a house or buildings are built here the plumbing and bathroom fixture clearances aren't very well thought out.You end up with a door that barely clear lets say a sink when being closed. I have a bath like this in my house.

Jawny said "There are loads of threads in LinC about home construction, many with the process being carefully overseen by members with limited experience."

Good words to remember.

When you start posting pics you are apt to get criticism from choice of building materials used,techniques utilized ,etc.Just ignore these comments and move on.You are to be commended for your determination to build within your means and staying out of future debt when possible.

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slowsmile

@TequilaSunset...Hey, that's a lovely house for sure. Our new bungalow is very similar except we have a shaded porch or terrace at the front right of our house and a small driveway and open garage at the front as well. We also don't have any fancy bits on the roof(they call them "attics" in Phils). It's just a basic UK-style bungalow with a flatter chalet-style roof. I'll be posting some fresh pics of the house today -- if the current typhoon will allow it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fred42
28 minutes ago, Bama said:

When you start posting pics you are apt to get criticism from choice of building materials used,techniques utilized ,etc.Just ignore these comments and move on.


Why do people get offended by suggestions or different ideas on what materials to use along with the reasons why etc...It may be a big learning curve for those that have not built here before that read both the OP`s AND alternative suggestions during their research period..
Ive made quite a few mistakes in my builds here which I wont make again.. I also like following these types of threads in case there is something else I end up learning as the result of a frank discussion.. Lets keep it real please!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slowsmile
13 minutes ago, Bama said:

What is being suggested here is that often when a house or buildings are built here the plumbing and bathroom fixture clearances aren't very well thought out.You end up with a door that barely clear lets say a sink when being closed. I have a bath like this in my house.

Jawny said "There are loads of threads in LinC about home construction, many with the process being carefully overseen by members with limited experience."

Good words to remember.

When you start posting pics you are apt to get criticism from choice of building materials used,techniques utilized ,etc.Just ignore these comments and move on.You are to be commended for your determination to build within your means and staying out of future debt when possible.

 

You are quite right in what you say. Also bear in mind that I'm there every day monitoring the house build. And, yes, there have been many mistakes -- including the sewage feed for the guest toilet bathroom. They initially put the large main orange sewage pipe in through the kitchen(visible) which fed into toilet/shower room. A sewage pipe running through the kitchen? Crazy!! I ordered the carpenter to re-feed the pipe underground directly into the bathroom from outside the house. Another problem was the shower drainage from our bathroom. The shower drainage pipe was in the wrong place -- a pool of water was not draining properly --  so we told the carpenter to move the drain pipe into the area where the water was collecting. Problem solved.  

The point I'm making here is that, because I'm at the house every day and because work is also progressing slowly, I've been able to catch all these problems early and fix them at low cost. So you are absolutely right in what you say. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colemanlee

Great post, we are pretty much doing the same out in the province...beginning stages, ie wall, foundation and filling the lot to road height ...I love to read builds like this as its the same thing we are doing, I sketched out what I wanted, got somebody to do it for real...specified all plumbing runs, wiring runs, all metal doors and frames...ours will have a concrete rood, a product of my Yolanda times...looking forward to pictures

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

If I were considering buying a house and someone said it was built the Filipino way

There is nothing wrong with the Filipino "way". I think you are talking about Filipino "standards". Obviously the OP has taken great strides to assure the standards on his home is above snuff.

10 hours ago, Lost said:

Honestly, I kinda avoid this place for this reason. Lots of cranky old dudes

If you hang in there long enough you know who to trust, who's trolling, who "thinks" they know everything and who has the fastest mouth. Get to know the members and then ignore Bullsh*ters.

My hats off to SlowSmile as he is gracefully maneuvering through the minefield of dung. Sounds like he's been reading the Forum for a while and has a good idea who the cranky old dudes are. 

Great thread @slowsmile keep it coming

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slowsmile
47 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

Great post, we are pretty much doing the same out in the province...beginning stages, ie wall, foundation and filling the lot to road height ...I love to read builds like this as its the same thing we are doing, I sketched out what I wanted, got somebody to do it for real...specified all plumbing runs, wiring runs, all metal doors and frames...ours will have a concrete rood, a product of my Yolanda times...looking forward to pictures

Thanks for your comment and may I wish you great success with your new house build. It might also be worth you visiting this thread occasionally because  I haven't built my house in the regular way. That's to say that I've implemented many of my own ideas on roof construction, insulation, windows(airflow), boundary walls etc. And many of my ideas that have already been implemented into my own house build are quite different to the norm and might even seem way off base to some people. But I'll be giving my reasons. Good luck to you and I hope you have a stress-free build!!  

Edited by slowsmile
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
29 minutes ago, Dafey said:

There is nothing wrong with the Filipino "way". I think you are talking about Filipino "standards". Obviously the OP has taken great strides to assure the standards on his home is above snuff.

If you hang in there long enough you know who to trust, who's trolling, who "thinks" they know everything and who has the fastest mouth. Get to know the members and then ignore Bullsh*ters.

My hats off to SlowSmile as he is gracefully maneuvering through the minefield of dung. Sounds like he's been reading the Forum for a while and has a good idea who the cranky old dudes are. 

Great thread @slowsmile keep it coming

Many times the there are very valid reasons they do things the "Filipino way". Often the way we do things back home simply do not work here, or work inefficiently, or with undesirable effects. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slowsmile

It's still tipping down with rain outside so I can't really take any decent photos of the outside house at the moment. So here are some pictures of the inside of the house.

Here are some pics of the open-plan living room, kitchen, dining room:

View - Living Room to Kitchen

 

Edited by slowsmile
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slowsmile

Some more views view of kitchen from the LR:

DSC_0004.thumb.JPG.bbf1dc9d468293f763f79edce0c4f33d.JPGDSC_0006.thumb.JPG.82ac66653e416ec39f6951293e641991.JPG

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slowsmile

This is the finished master bedroom:

DSC_0001.JPG

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Humboldt

I built my house the Filipino way , i didn't want a concrete hollow block house , still standing strong after 12yrs

high ceilings large screened windows ,, no need for stand fans most nights , much cheaper at the time

i have sense build a house out of concrete ,, so if the big bad wolf blows down my bamboo house i have a place to run lol

post-15417-0-37994700-1425009357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Humboldt
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slowsmile

...And here's another view of the master bedroom from the window side:

DSC_0007.thumb.JPG.01550b940e31ef8b42f9effeca9d1a87.JPG

Edited by slowsmile
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
5 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

...And here's another view of the master bedroom from the window:

DSC_0007.thumb.JPG.01550b940e31ef8b42f9effeca9d1a87.JPG

Great pics, nice job!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert



  • Adsbygoogle

    Advert

×