• Commercial Banner Advertisers

slowsmile

Building a house in the Cebu provinces -- cheaply.

Alfred E. Neuman
8 hours ago, slowsmile said:

But who, except a very rich person, could ever afford narra wood or molave in their own own home. I'm not a rich man, so I just make do the best that I can. And, so far so good, I'm really quite pleased with my new house. 

Before painting, generously coat all wood/lumber with solignum. Worked well on my previous houses.

• Like 4

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I don't know anybody who imported construction materials

actually he didnt say construction materials.

as i read further i see he was talking about furnishings .  [ which i took for granted ]

I do know a Brit who shipped over a 40 foot container of stuff when building his house in Davao . The only thing he imported that i consider construction material was his fancy kitchen cabinets lol

Edited by Davaoeno
elaboration
  • Like 1

soupeod

Welcome aboard!

Headshot
17 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

And, so far so good, I'm really quite pleased with my new house.

And ... well you should be. It sounds like things are coming together nicely.

I, too, avoided wood wherever I could. In fact, I would have had a lot less wood in my house if the contractor had understood what I wanted better (my fault). I wanted metal doors and door frames, but he was thinking typical Filipino, and I got wood doors and door frames. I guess I hadn't been clear enough in the original contract, and I got wood. I also have wood base board and crown molding, which I did want, but I should have opted for plastic on those as well.

Wood in furniture is kind of hard to get away from, unless you are OK with the look of plastic and metal for furniture. I like the look of wood furniture, and I have had no problems with termites (or any other bugs) in any of my furniture (possibly because I let the geckos have free run of the house, so they keep the bug problem down to a minimum.

Headshot
18 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

actually he didn't say construction materials.

Well, he was talking about building a house, and NOT about furnishing it, in his first post. So, I made a bad assumption. I wish I could be like other people who always assume correctly (after all of the facts have already been laid out for them)...  :evan:

• Like 1

Davaoeno
1 minute ago, Headshot said:

Well, he was talking about building a house, and NOT about furnishing it, in his first post. So, I made a bad assumption. I wish I could be like other people who always assume correctly (after all of the facts have already been laid out for them)...  :evan:

Bill-  you seem to be in a very negative space lately .  I hope it isnt due to bad health . ??

• Like 1

slowsmile
10 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Please forgive my indiscretion, but there are very few houses in the Philippines that are actually earthquake-proof. It wasn't meant as a criticism of your building skills (and you may have reinforced the hell out of your walls), but as a criticism of typical Filipino building methods. Of the over 10,000 homes that collapsed during the Bohol earthquake in 2013, almost all were built using these same methods.

I don't mind your question at all. Here is an answer to your own doubt. Firstly, I've been watching my house build (almost) every day since early July 2017. I know how they put in all the concrete pillars and cross members in the house. I know because I inspected them.

* My house isn't a large house -- its only a 9m x 16m bungalow on one level. There are no upper floors. That was my first precaution because a single level bungalow will stand more chance against an earthquake than a multi-storey house with two or three floors.

*All 23 of the concrete vertical supports that support my house are started 4ft below the ground in a hole that is about 4ft x 4ft wide. The hole is filled with up with 9" concrete which covers a matrix of horizontal crisscrossed steel rods each of which is about 0.45 " in diameter. When the vertical concrete column is formed, 5 to seven steel rods are inserted vertically into the column to add greater strength.

* I watched them put up the outer walls of the house(using 6" hollow block). These hollow blocks each have 3 circular holes. The hollow block walls have steel rods going up their whole length. Then concrete is poured through the hollow block holes as they build. This means that there is poured concrete connecting all the hollow block all the way down to its wide concrete base underground. This is further reinforced by the steel rods that also run the vertical and horizontal length of the whole wall. 

* Lastly you've assumed that the Balamban area has frequent earthquakes and here I'm afraid your very wrong. Have a look at an earthquake history map of my area. Earthquakes are very few in my own region. When I had a look at an earthquake history map of Cebu, alot of the Cebu area was red. Bohol was the worst -- All red !! -- and that's because its right on the Ring of Fire earthquake belt. 

* And if you look on an earthquake history map at the north side of Cebu island where I live now, you may see, perhaps even with some difficulty, very small pin-pricks of red. Hardly any earthquakes.

Where I'm living at the moment, there are minimal earthquakes which are never as strong as the ones in Bohol or Cebu or Mindanao. It's also very unlikely that any tsunami will reach my Balamban coastline either, because the Balamban shores are so well shielded by Negros, Mindanao, Bohol and Leyte. I've spent a year in my region already and I've also discovered that it never seems to flood in my area(even though we've had some long bouts of torrential rain lately). Why? Because my house is on elevated ground(being near to the mountains) and is not at sea level like it is in lowland areas that are nearer to the sea.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

slowsmile
16 minutes ago, Headshot said:

And ... well you should be. It sounds like things are coming together nicely.

I, too, avoided wood wherever I could. In fact, I would have had a lot less wood in my house if the contractor had understood what I wanted better (my fault). I wanted metal doors and door frames, but he was thinking typical Filipino, and I got wood doors and door frames. I guess I hadn't been clear enough in the original contract, and I got wood. I also have wood base board and crown molding, which I did want, but I should have opted for plastic on those as well.

Wood in furniture is kind of hard to get away from, unless you are OK with the look of plastic and metal for furniture. I like the look of wood furniture, and I have had no problems with termites (or any other bugs) in any of my furniture (possibly because I let the geckos have free run of the house, so they keep the bug problem down to a minimum.

I would agree with most of what you say. I also love wood dearly -- I'm an old Brit after all. But I had a Dutch friend who was living in the same compound as me up in San Fernando in LU. He called me over one day and showed me a four foot termite mound. Right next to his house. This means that all the houses in the compound(they used wood to build the roofs, floors etc) were probably rotten and dangerous. It's one of the main reasons we came to Cebu. This is why, like you, I avoid wood for my house construction.  But I would be an outright liar if I said I hated wood furniture. When the house is built, I intend to buy a particular wooden chair. A Captain's Cabin style chair made completely of rattan or wicker. It'll probably cost me a bit, but that's really something that I've always wanted.     

• Like 2

slowsmile
57 minutes ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

Before painting, generously coat all wood/lumber with solignum. Worked well on my previous houses.

Thanks for the tip. I've also heard of another way to treat would which makes it both fungus proof and bug(termite) proof. Just soak the wood or lumber in Borax solution overnight. Trouble is that its difficult to get the borax crystals in the Phils.

slowsmile
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

I think this makes you a neighbour.  I'm in Tuburan.  Welcome to the neighbourhood. How far are you from Tuburan?

Hey, I reckon that your right. Turburan is north of Balamban I think. It's very beautiful up your way.

to_dave007

ah..  you north or south of poblacion?

Headshot
9 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

Thanks for the tip. I've also heard of another way to treat would which makes it both fungus proof and bug(termite) proof. Just soak the wood or lumber in Borax solution overnight. Trouble is that its difficult to get the borax crystals in the Phils.

There is a pawnshop (Benny's) in downtown Cebu where they sell borax by the kilo. I use it for ant bait. There is a thread about it...

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/topic/85544-kill-the-ants-borax-anyone/?page=3

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

slowsmile
4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

There is a pawnshop in downtown Cebu where they sell borax by the kilo. I use it for ant bait. There is a thread about it...

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/topic/85544-kill-the-ants-borax-anyone/?page=3

A big thank you for that tip...:D . I'll have a look. I did manage to buy a couple of cans of borax (for welding) from Atlantic Hardware in Cebu last month.  That should do it perhaps.

Bama
43 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

* Lastly you've assumed that the Balamban area has frequent earthquakes and here I'm afraid your very wrong. Have a look at an earthquake history map of my area. Earthquakes are very few in my own region. When I had a look at an earthquake history map of Cebu, alot of the Cebu area was red. Bohol was the worst -- All red !! -- and that's because its right on the Ring of Fire earthquake belt. 

* And if you look on an earthquake history map at the north side of Cebu island where I live now, you may see, perhaps even with some difficulty, very small pin-pricks of red. Hardly any earthquakes.

Where I'm living at the moment, there are minimal earthquakes which are never as strong as the ones in Bohol or Cebu or Mindanao. It's also very unlikely that any tsunami will reach my Balamban coastline either, because the Balamban shores are so well shielded by Negros, Mindanao, Bohol and Leyte. I've spent a year in my region already and I've also discovered that it never seems to flood in my area(even though we've had some long bouts of torrential rain lately). Why? Because my house is on elevated ground(being near to the mountains) and is not at sea level like it is in lowland areas that are nearer to the sea.  

Appears to me that Mr Slow has thought this house building project out pretty clearly.Good job.

Headshot
54 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Bill-  you seem to be in a very negative space lately .  I hope it isnt due to bad health . ??

I didn't realize that I was being negative. I was shooting for funny with that post. Maybe I need to use different smileys. Thank you for your concern about my health. I am fine (at least as far as I know). In fact, we are heading for Disney World (and other points around the US) this coming summer school break. I wouldn't do that unless I was feeling OK.