Tullioz

Tropical Storm may affect much of The Visayas by Monday 12Feb18

Headshot

We had pretty heavy rain and fairly breezy for about an hour before dinner, but then it died down. As is typical for storms like this, the rain and wind come in bands. So far, it has just given my lawn a good soaking, but then I mowed it this afternoon, so rain is good.

20180212_165920.thumb.jpg.5fd02518f978eb6a8dc6ec0ec36da261.jpg

Tullioz

Here are a couple of sites for monitoring rainfall that can be useful in situations where flooding is a concern. You just have to zoom into the area you you are interested in, set the perimeters, and click on the icon. Unfortunately a lot of them are not reporting at all times, so it can be hit and miss. 

rain1.jpg.2f50a67a8af76aa5594cb49bd0c37e20.jpg
http://noah.up.edu.ph/#/

rain2.jpg.b19531f8952c60dadc5b8b1b3bb66cde.jpghttps://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Edited by Tullioz

shadow
11 hours ago, Headshot said:

Well, if they declare a signal 1 for Cebu, then DepEd will close the schools on Tuesday, so you are likely right.

Cancellation and suspension of classes are observed directly from the weather bulletins of the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA).

Classes in the affected areas shall be automatically cancelled or suspended once the PAGASA raised the following storm signals: 1) Signal No.1, public and private pre-school and kindergarten classes; 2) Signal No. 2, public and private pre-school, kindergarten, elementary and high school classes (including Senior High School); and Signal No. 3, classes in all levels.

http://www.deped.gov.ph/press-releases/deped-reiterates-suspension-classes-guidelines-during-typhoons

• Thanks 2

BossHog

Been pouring here on Siargao since noon on Monday which was also when we lost power. Electric got restored at 2 AM but still coming down in buckets and looks like more is right on the doorstep. Wet night. Only moderate winds. 

rb0-lalo.gif.0954684004c8bc87d53268b81a9d5b2c.gif

• Thanks 3

JamesMusslewhite

Rained here pretty solid all day, finally stopped but I doubt that will last long. I expect it will start pouring again and will continue to do until sometime Wednesday evening. Been lucky as the power has stayed on, but we are prone to brownouts on this little island.

• Thanks 1

TequilaSunset

When I told GF about the pending storm she just laughed, said it's sunny!

Later on she texted me as she was going to work... I'm getting  ready to leave now. And yes its been raining up until now..
And it's getting heavier bwesit...

Dafey
16 hours ago, Headshot said:

We had pretty heavy rain and fairly breezy for about an hour before dinner, but then it died down. As is typical for storms like this, the rain and wind come in bands. So far, it has just given my lawn a good soaking, but then I mowed it this afternoon, so rain is good.

How's your lawn doing now Spankie? ;) Wait til you see whats coming your way!!!

• Like 1

colemanlee

So if windytv holds true, about eight pm they are calling for a rainfall in the vicinity of 50 mm per hour here at the house, so Im guessing Dafey will catch it a hour or so later....but it looks like Cebu will catch it about five or six pm this evening....all subject to change but might want to get the dingys out

Edited by colemanlee
  • Like 2

soupeod

It is pouring down hard w/winds right now in western Leyte

• Like 2

Dafey
1 hour ago, colemanlee said:

So if windytv holds true, about eight pm they are calling for a rainfall in the vicinity of 50 mm per hour here at the house, so Im guessing Dafey will catch it a hour or so later....but it looks like Cebu will catch it about five or six pm this evening....all subject to change but might want to get the dingys out

It's possible, but windy TV is not the best rain predictor/reporter. Winds and tides yes. This is an accurate radar site I use...as accurate as any here.

https://www1.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/

• Thanks 1

soupeod

Sat Image 1200 o'clock

1-him-colored.jpg

Edited by soupeod

shadow
44 minutes ago, soupeod said:

Sat Image 1200 o'clock

1-him-colored.jpg

Great, it all looks to be going north of us, as usual. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Goetz1965

Just a bit rainy today - didnt even use my umbrella when getting into the car - lol

Tullioz

Now that the center of the system is moving north of Mindanao, the circulation is bringing the winds  across the island  of Mindanao and the amount of moisture has become limited over the Cebu area. Once the center gets east of Mindanao the moisture will increase again but it will not have an affect on Cebu. The worst is pretty much over as far as the threat for widespread flooding is concerned there. 

It looks like the Cebu area received between 1 an 2 inches of rain in most areas so far, so not too bad. Looking at the latest satellite and radar loops, in addition to some off and on light to moderate rain for the next few hours,  Cebu City will likely see one more line of storms which could bring some gusty winds and heavy rain for a brief period, but that's going to be about it for this event. 

I drew a line where the dry air off the island of Mindanao is colliding with the moist air over The Visayas and creating a line of storms that will soon cross Cebu.  Once that passes, things should clear up rather quickly.

storm11.jpg.6c60e3c54baa8d189467d2594588d855.jpg