• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Lordblacknail

Travel Insurance

Lordblacknail

I am looking for travel insurance for our trip to Seattle in May. I do not want health insurance, just looking for basic trip insurance to cover the costs of the trip if canceled or interrupted. No body wants to insure A people in the RP, B people of my age, 72, or C people who don't live in the US. All of us are US citizens. Anybody had any luck just buying trip insurance and not health insurance?

Woolf

I pay flight ticket with my MasterCard it has basic travel insurance build in

Dafey

Any chance you qualify for USAA? They have good travel insurance.

Lordblacknail

Yah i am a member of USAA, they don't sell what I need but transferred me to travelasurance or travelinsurance, a company that they are partnered with. She gave me a quote that is a reasonable price and all that. Told me it doesn't matter if I live in the RP as long as I am a member of USAA. Reading the policy, it says Eligibility   US resident. So I can see that if I have a claim, the first thing they are going to ask me is where do I live. By the time I tried to call them back, they were closed and only the call center was on. So now I have to wait until tomorrow to get an answer.

• Like 1

HongKongPhooey

I don’t want to hijack your post but maybe expand it a little as my questions are somewhat related. Apologies if not appropriate.  My questions relate to actually getting a claim paid which fits into selecting an insurer.

As an employer we have AMEX businesses cards that have the travel insurance rider. Getting reimbursed from them is like a rectal exam, just as painful and honestly not worth the effort. 

Personally, I have always had an annual policy with HSBC.  The only claim I ever made was with a really bad experience with PAL. Again a bad experience, but it was probably my fault because I did not get all the evidence I needed at the time of the incident to file the claim, and PAL just did not respond at all when I asked them for the required info HSBC was asking for.

Has anyone ever had a claim paid out, what insurer, and what tips do you have to ensure the claim is processed.

All these guys want to sell you a policy, none of them want to honour it...

Lordblacknail

Just talked to a supervisor at travel insured. Not written in the policy that it covers people who live outside the usa, but they kept telling me it does. So when I file a claim for my wifes death for $1M, and they say oh it is only $100K, I can say yah, but you told me I could collect a million. They are a friggin insurance company and they don't think it should be written down? I will probably still buy it, but I won't like it. Nobody else, and I mean nobody else, would even talk to me about it, due to my age and RP residence.

Soarking

Jack,

Good to hear your planning a trip back to the real world this May.  And in reading the words “our trip”, I assume you are all coming.

I never bothered with trip insurance and for the life of me can’t understand why you would bother buying a return ticket.

Upon my arrival home my wife took my passport and locked in the safe with a new combination unknown to me.  She knows I would burn it if I got my hands on it.

• Like 1