Cebuandrew

SSA--making a claim

Cebuandrew

Last summer, I contacted the SSA Manila. I got this contact info: This is for an SSDI claim.

Ana Loreta A. Arroyo
Claims Examiner
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
US EMBASSY Manila, 1201 Roxas Boulevard
Ermita 0930 Philippines

I sent her an email and got a form back to fill in.  Full disclosure: 5 years ago, I got a 100% VA P&T rating, and I have problems following up and completing tasks. 3 months later, I was in Olongapo. I got an RAO address, filled out the form and sent it to her. Turned out, I hated Subic Bay and left after 6 weeks (I did check my mailbox on way out). Sent her an email 6 weeks ago...asking where my claim was. No reply. Sent her another email a week ago. No response. I really don't know what to do next.

Hire an attorney (at 25% cost) to take care of it? Go back to Portland, where my medical records are, and do it myself there? Why in the hell that I cannot do it here myself?

tonny

Call her before 8 05 am you can usually get thru at that time of the day if they not answer yet keep call as after 8 30 hard to get some one on the line better tues thru thurs. ok or if you have the local number at home call them usually you get thru quicker calling the local office than the 800 number good luck.Also ask when the re next out reach programs is comming to Cebu again if you in Cebu ok

enoonmai

Used to be they would only accept phone calls between 2-4pm but that was a few years ago so may have changed. Even then it's hard to get anyone. Leave a message with your # and they should call you back. Next day, hopefully. That's your best bet imo.

Voyager39

The 25% commission you refer to is limited to $6,000.  I used an attorney, and it was money well spent.   Most attorneys told me that they wouldn't take on clients until they had been rejected after an initial application and on reconsideration and were on Appeal.  However, I found a firm that took my application right from the get-go, and it worked.  I was rejected at the first stage, but got my award on reconsideration.  

The legal fee in my case was about $2000 and it was the best money I ever spent.  I got very useful tips from my attorney regarding getting evaluations from a doctor, getting third party witness forms, and the benefit of listing a multitude of conditions in addition to the main condition that the claim is based on.  My condition has been difficult to prove in the past, so it's possible that I benefited more from legal help than some others would.  If your medical support documentation is overwhelming, you might not need an attorney as much as I did.

I don't see why you'd need to return to Portland.  You should be able to complete all the necessary paperwork on your end and email or fax it to a U.S. based law firm.   In my case, I dealt by phone and computer with a firm in Seattle and never even met my attorney.  I live about 40 miles from Seattle, but could just as easily have been located in Cebu, and things would have worked out the same way.

tonny

If you are in Cebu i posted yesterday there having a SS  out reach program at the consulate in March go there they can fix it for you, good luck.

• Thanks 1