Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

Super Bowl Worth Watching

Headshot

Most of the time, the outcome of super bowls are pretty much decided going in, but not this one. The two teams fought it out right down to the wire. I'm not going to spoil it for anybody who hasn't yet seen the game by giving away what happened (and I would appreciate it if nobody else does either), but WOW! THAT was a great game. I'm glad I got to see it.

• Like 4

Mikal

Indeed, excellent game.  'My' team may not have won, but they ran into a team that simply outplayed them, so what can you do.  *shrug*  

• Like 1

SkyMan
Spoiler

Did anyone else get the feeling Michaels and Collinsworth were a bit biased.  I usually like them and call it as it comes but they seemed to be pulling for the Patriots.  On Foles interception there was no mention at all of the OPI that should have been called.  Even if the defender is looking for the ball he can't hold the receiver's arm down preventing him from jumping.  And then on those 2 TD passes they were certain the calls would be overturned and I knew they wouldn't.  Guess maybe they had tons of Brady material lined up for the post game they had to can.

• Like 1

SkyMan
Spoiler

ElaborateTotalBlackbear-size_restricted.gif

KID

Hell of a game---- The winners deserved to win--------PINK was smokin hot :)

Topper

It was indeed a great superbowl. You had to watch it to the end because you can never count Brady down and out. He has surprised us with a comeback during the last few minutes of the game on many an occasion....but not this time.  :lol:

Jester

IN the US SB Sunday is a great day to go to the mall, then after took the wife to see Star Wars,  about 8 people in the theater.   Great day!    Just love SB Sunday.   

• Like 1

Mikal
13 hours ago, SkyMan said:
  Hide contents

Did anyone else get the feeling Michaels and Collinsworth were a bit biased.  I usually like them and call it as it comes but they seemed to be pulling for the Patriots.  On Foles interception there was no mention at all of the OPI that should have been called.  Even if the defender is looking for the ball he can't hold the receiver's arm down preventing him from jumping.  And then on those 2 TD passes they were certain the calls would be overturned and I knew they wouldn't.  Guess maybe they had tons of Brady material lined up for the post game they had to can.

If you mean Defensive Pass Interference instead of Offensive Pass Interference... not really seeing that.  Remember, it had been well 'advertised' that the expectation going in was that they weren't going to be calling PI for anything that wasn't blatant.  They were going to let them play, let the 'typical' hand fighting, etc. go.  

The only thing I thought was notable was that later in the game they mentioned that 'Foles interception' without mentioning that it had nothing to do with Foles.

On the first no-reversal the announcers did a good job of analyzing the situation.  They did seem to settle on 'had the receiver become a runner' as the/a critical factor.  And what did the ref announce after the review?  That based on the fact that the receiver had become a runner the call stood.

On the 2nd one, I think the announcers were just expressing a bit of frustration with how inconsistent the rules are sometimes interpreted/applied.  If it were a regular season game the call might have been different, but it wasn't a regular season game and that does change things (regardless of whether it should or not).  

It was actually a very close call, tricky at best, I was OK with them not overturning it, just too close to do that.  But sure, Michaels was muttering about that.

All that said, I did get a sense that they were all prepped and ready to go in crowning the Pats and Brady.  But I'm not sure how many people really expected the Eagles to execute so well throughout the entire game, especially when it got close towards the end. 

Personally, I had no idea that Doug Pederson had balls the size of an elephants.  But he knew what it was going to take to win and he went after it.  I had more issues with some of the Pats play calling than with the Eagles.  

I'm actually more familiar with 'good' Nick Foles than 'bad' Nick Foles and had plenty of respect for him.  But to execute so consistently and so well throughout the entire game?  Outstanding effort.  Outstanding effort all around really, they earned that trophy...

• Like 2

the.lone.gunman

From a New England perspective, Brady put the points on the board but the Defence just could not stop the Eagles. Very bad day for the D, great day for the Eagles offence.

SkyMan
54 minutes ago, Mikal said:

If you mean Defensive Pass Interference instead of Offensive Pass Interference... not really seeing that.  Remember, it had been well 'advertised' that the expectation going in was that they weren't going to be calling PI for anything that wasn't blatant.  They were going to let them play, let the 'typical' hand fighting, etc. go. 

Yes, DPI, not OPI. And while I can see the 'let them play' attitude I think on such a major game changer it should be called and it sure looked like he hooked his arm preventing him from getting both hands up.  

The only thing I thought was notable was that later in the game they mentioned that 'Foles interception' without mentioning that it had nothing to do with Foles.

They always blame the QB no matter what.  I really think interception stats should be rated as to whether it was his fault or not.  Instead of getting credit for a perfect pass, the receiver can stone hand it and the QB takes an INT.  Of course, one could argue the QB shouldn't have thrown to him but how's he to know?

On the first no-reversal

Second?  I thought the first was the back of the endzone? That one dealt with when did have control and was that third step out of bounds.  Michaels was certain it was out and didn't even question it.  I didn't see clear proof it was.  It was definitely on the edge.  But they may have considered he had control on the first step. He moved his left hand but his right hand sayed on it.

On the dive over the endzone it seemed to me he had definitely become a runner and the TD occured as the ball broke the plane before it even touched the ground.  If that's not the case the rules are screwed up.  

Personally, I had no idea that Doug Pederson had balls the size of an elephants.

Yes, but I think that's what's needed in a big game.  The safe, conservative approach is what is expected so the likelihood of success is reduced.  That increases the chances for less conventional play. 

I had more issues with some of the Pats play calling than with the Eagles.  

The general rule to beat the Pats is to get to Brady and make him hurry.  Not easy to do.  I was surprised at the Eagles success without putting much pressure on him.

SkyMan

I forget which one said it and I know they always pit QB vs QB but I think it was kind of dumb when one of them made an early comment something like "Could Foles hold up against Brady."  The QBs don't play each other, they play against the defense. All QBs can do is put points on the board so if they lose, they didn't put up enough points and lose against the opponent's D.

The big question is, will Brady retire?  And will Foles stay on the bench next season or change jerseys?

Edited by SkyMan

Headshot
12 minutes ago, the.lone.gunman said:

Very bad day for the D, great day for the Eagles offence.

I think the same was true on both sides. Offense was stronger than defense on both sides in this super bowl. That is evidenced by only one punt in the game.

• Like 2