steveh2112

1 Month In the Philippines, Some Practical Advice & Mobile Plans

shadow
20 minutes ago, steveh2112 said:

yes, i'm into music, i play drums. i'm into rock mostly but ok with anything besides DJ and rap/hiphop. what kind of music is there? anyhow, looks like it will go on my list for sure

There is a growing group of expat rockers here, with open mic jam sessions usually at least two nights per week. There are 5-8 groups of expats that get together and jam. Here's one;

There is also some great local talent as well.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 4

lopburi3

On Duma have seen recent reports that traffic is getting to be big city bad and no alternatives or new roads so that seems to be in the negative column.  It is a college town so for the young expats it might be a good hunting ground (but which probably means more characters you might not want to associate with among the gray hair crowd).  It is not a large city and there seems to be only one reasonable medical facility.  That said it is cheaper than most other locations and often draws for that reason it seems.  And on the plus side it should be relatively safe from most storms.  

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
3 hours ago, steveh2112 said:

what kind of music is there?

oh you'll love it.

95b3af60d431c1b2e99e46327857b4c8.jpg

fos-worst-album-covers.jpg

• Haha 1

steveh2112

my friend said i should give Davao a go, does that fit my profile, i.e. lots of amenities and close to nature?

i found this on line, do you think its accurate?

• We are outside the typhoon belt, no typhoon has ever hit Davao City.
  • It is rare to even have rain during the day, but it rains probably 250 nights per year, after dark. Everything is green and lush, yet you get to enjoy the sunshine almost every day.
  • You can literally have brunch at the beach, then spend the afternoon on the country’s highest mountain on the same day!
  • While the city is large, it is not crowded like Manila or Cebu. In terms of size, Davao City is the largest city in the world! Yet, the population is small enough that you don’t have traffic problems and such.
  • We are a big enough city that you can readily get western foods and other items that an ex-pat would desire to make your life more comfortable.
  • If you are thinking of going to Baguio for the weather, we have that here too! Just a short trip of an hour and you are in Bukidnon, up in the coolness of the mountains! There have been times in years past when it has been so cool in the mountains of Bukidnon that there was ice on the road!
  • While Davao enjoys many of the amenities that you will find in large cities like Manila, the prices here are much lower than Baguio or Manila! You can live here for about 1/3 of the price that the same lifestyle would cost in Manila!
  • You can be anywhere in the Philippines in less than 2 hours with a cheap flight from Davao International Airport. For under $100 you should be able to fly to any destination in the Philippines! Baguio airport has always had problems with flights – short runway, tough path to the airport, etc. – and flights to Manila are not daily. From Davao to Manila, there are at least a half dozen flights per day, on 4 different airlines!
Edited by steveh2112

shadow
7 hours ago, steveh2112 said:

my friend said i should give Davao a go, does that fit my profile, i.e. lots of amenities and close to nature?

• It is rare to even have rain during the day, but it rains probably 250 nights per year, after dark. Everything is green and lush, yet you get to enjoy the sunshine almost every day.
  • You can literally have brunch at the beach, then spend the afternoon on the country’s highest mountain on the same day!
  • While the city is large, it is not crowded like Manila or Cebu. In terms of size, Davao City is the largest city in the world! Yet, the population is small enough that you don’t have traffic problems and such.
  • We are a big enough city that you can readily get western foods and other items that an ex-pat would desire to make your life more comfortable.
  • If you are thinking of going to Baguio for the weather, we have that here too! Just a short trip of an hour and you are in Bukidnon, up in the coolness of the mountains! There have been times in years past when it has been so cool in the mountains of Bukidnon that there was ice on the road!
  • While Davao enjoys many of the amenities that you will find in large cities like Manila, the prices here are much lower than Baguio or Manila! You can live here for about 1/3 of the price that the same lifestyle would cost in Manila!
  • You can be anywhere in the Philippines in less than 2 hours with a cheap flight from Davao International Airport. For under $100 you should be able to fly to any destination in the Philippines! Baguio airport has always had problems with flights – short runway, tough path to the airport, etc. – and flights to Manila are not daily. From Davao to Manila, there are at least a half dozen flights per day, on 4 different airlines!

I've never considered Davao city as "close to nature", but maybe my definition is different than yours. If it takes more than an hour to get into the mountains or on a nice beach, it's too far away in my definition. It can easily take an hour in Davao to get from one area of the city to another. Davao city is a huge sprawling metropolis.

It is a great city by Philippine standards, but it is a city.

Kabisay-an gid
6 hours ago, steveh2112 said:

Davao City is the murder capital of the Philippines. In the most recent 5-year statistical period available, there were more murders in Davao City than any other city in the nation.

Source: Official Philippine National Police statistics, published in Rappler:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/127860-quezon-city-pnp-highest-index-crime

-------------

Davao City is the per capita rape capital of the Philippines. The only city with more rapes was Quezon City, but Davao had more rapes per capita (per 100,000 residents.)

Source: Official Philippine National Police statistics, published in Rappler:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/127860-quezon-city-pnp-highest-index-crime

Of all major cities in the Philippines, Davao is the most at risk for bombings and other terrorist attacks.

15 killed and 70 injured in September 2016 terrorist bombing at a popular Davao City night market:

Sources: Rappler and Wikipedia 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/145033-explosion-roxas-night-market-davao-city

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Davao_City_bombing

---------------

Davao City (and all of Mindanao) is officially under martial law through at least 2018.

Source: Philstar Global 

https://beta.philstar.com/headlines/2017/12/15/1768652/how-martial-law-being-implemented-mindanaos-cities

• Like 1