steveh2112

1 Month In the Philippines, Some Practical Advice & Mobile Plans

steveh2112

hi, i have 1 month downtime between jobs in June so i'm planning a trip to Cebu as a fact finding mission to learn more about the area and the ladies. If all goes well, i would return later in the year and stay longer. So i have a few questions to ask.

1) i don't think i want to stay in Cebu city full time, although obviously i will for a week or so. after that i was thinking of renting a scooter and touring the island. i'm sure there are issues with that but i've been riding scooters in Thailand for 12 years, over 100,000km without a problem, so i think i can take care of myself on a bike. Given that i'm thinking about 3 weeks on the road, what town other than Cebu city should i visit? i like nature more than cities but i also want to meet the locals so i don't want to be too remote.

2) i prefer to cook my own food vs. restaurants every day. i'd also prefer my own place with own entrance, not a hotel room or an airbnb room in a house. i've seen some  nice condos in cebu city for $16/night which sound great but not so much outside of the city. driving around the countryside, would i find short term places with a place to cook? how much would i pay for that?

3) what to do about internet as i travel? what mobile plans are available that i could   stream youtubes, do skype calls, etc?

thanks

• Like 1

steveh2112

thinking about it, maybe a better plan is to stay in a condo/apt in cebu city for the whole month (since that's probably where the best dating opportunities are anyhow) and just do day trips or short trips around the island.

• Like 1

Enuff
thinking about it, maybe a better plan is to stay in a condo/apt in cebu city for the whole month (since that's probably where the best dating opportunities are anyhow) and just do day trips or short trips around the island.
Don't count out Bohol (Panglao area).

With the new international airport slated to open in August, it adds a new spin to the beauty of Panglao.

Also much easier to rent a room with kitchen and less traffic too.

Should still be ample ladies available.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

steveh2112

great tip thanks, looks like there are some airbnbs with kitchen and wifi in my price range there too.

• Like 2

Jim Sibbick

So long as you are not trying to do tourist islands like Malapascua or Bantayan as a day trip. Tourist attraction on the rest of Cebu are doable as a day trip from Cebu City. In multiple day trips that is. 

You can even do the main attractions on Bohol as a day trip. Catch the first fast ferry of the day from pier 1 in Cebu City to Tagbilaran Bohol. Catch the last fast ferry of the day from Tagbilaran back to Cebu City. Start and end your tour at the pier in Tagbilaran. it will give you about 10 hours of touring.

And of course if you are living on Bohol, and need to take care of business in Cebu City. You can do the same in reverse. 

Edited by Jim Sibbick
  • Like 1

Mikala
5 hours ago, steveh2112 said:

what to do about internet as i travel? what mobile plans are available that i could   stream youtubes, do skype calls, etc?

Good luck with getting a signal good enough to stream youtube or Skype. I have fiber internet in my Cebu condo and that's not possible most of the time. When I lived in Dumaguete, my DSL wouldn't support it at all. Keep in mind the internet in the Philippines is the worst in Asia... :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

steveh2112

good to know, thanks

Alfred E. Neuman

Look for girls with jobs, they‘re less likely to scam you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mikala
3 minutes ago, steveh2112 said:

good to know, thanks

To offer some information though.... there are 2 primary providers of cellphone data services in the Philippines. Smart and Globe. You can buy a SIM card at the airport when you arrive or at most any shopping mall in Cebu (SM, SM Seaside, Galleria, Ayala). Go with LTE (if your phone supports it). 

Depending on where you're located, will depend if you've got any signal whatsoever. As you travel around the city and countryside, either Globe or Smart will work better (nice to have a cellphone with 2 SIM slots). Which one will work better might depend on the weather or phase of the moon. Sometimes you'll get a great signal for a few minutes and then virtually no signal.

After you get the SIM card, buy a load card (consider buying a spare), load the SIM card and pick a data plan. I use Globe and usually go with GoSurf50 which gives me 3 days of data and any network text messages.

All-in-all, arrive with very low expectations of your internet speeds. Perhaps arrive with the expectation that you will be unable to Skype or stream YouTube at all (which I suspect will be the truth of it).

As for places to visit... Danao seems like it could suit your needs for more than a few nights. With a factory located there, I noticed a plethora of employed cute girls entering and leaving the factory at certain times of day. The bay is picturesque and the town is entertaining, plus there's a large park downtown. :)

• Like 2

Woolf

When I arrived at cebu airport october last, globe and smart were handing out free welcome sims, (normal price is 40 PHP) , they were also selling load cards, it is just after you come out from customs

• Like 2

Dafey
15 minutes ago, Woolf said:

When I arrived at cebu airport october last, globe and smart were handing out free welcome sims, (normal price is 40 PHP) , they were also selling load cards, it is just after you come out from customs

I experienced the same but you got the Sim card with a minimum purchase of 400 PHP. No biggie as he will spend at least that.

I use Globe for 599 PHP and get 4 GBs of data and about 50 texts...no phone, good for 30 days. After I load that they send a promotion for 1 free GB of your choice of Viber, FB, YouTube and maybe a couple more. If you have a second Sim slot use that for Smart, 350 PHP for unlimited calls & text, no data for 30 days

In Cebu City I had a very good LTE reception and could often stream YouTube. However, as @Mikala has stated, expect lower.

Good advice to keep a place in Cebu City and do 2 & 3 day trips to the outer provinces in the Visayans. Scooter is doable but usually just as easy to rent cheap transport. Your Drivers licence should be good for 30 days in the Phils.

When we go to Cebu City we usually stay at the Canberry Hotel in Guadalupe. Standard room is 888 PHP and Deluxe is about 1300 PHP. Very clean, very safe and just a little off the beaten path. No pool but a fair restaurant and near enough to everything to walk, jeepnie or taxi your way around town.

• Like 2

Woolf
38 minutes ago, Dafey said:

I use Globe for 599 PHP and get 4 GBs of data and about 50 texts...no phone, good for 30 days.

Below are the the globe gosurf prepay plans

With gosurf50 you get 12 GB data + free unlimited text to all nets for 600 php

with gosurf599 you get 4GB data + a few texts 599 php

only drawback is you have to load your gosurf at least every 3 days

To register, text the keyword to 8080 or dial *143# and choose GoSURF.

https://www.globe.com.ph/prepaid/promos/gosurf?jsid=6ECCAB4DDED58356B7675074E7AFAEA7.41517791028399

globe go surf prepay.png

• Like 4

RangerUp
2 hours ago, Mikala said:

Which one will work better might depend on the weather or phase of the moon.

The moon may effect werewolves but it's the lack of coverage that causes cellphone signal issues. I'd recommend Smart's Gigasurf, 299p for one month.

RangerUp
3 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

With two related exceptions, phase of the moon has no effect on electronics. Those exceptions are anything having to do with high end audio, as well as electric guitar amplifier tone and touch-responsiveness

Like I said, we're talking about cellphone signals here.

Edited by RangerUp