miles-high

WD-40

miles-high

I got a Black &Decker cordless drill here – I seldom use it for the last 3 years or so, as we moved out the country. In any case, I wanted to use it last night – it’s great to clean the bath tub, sink, etc. using the brush attachment (see pic) but the drill chuck did not work, it was stuck...

Saw a few YouTube videos to see how I could fix it, hitting it, smashing it, etc. to no avail…

I thought I was going to get a new chuck (if it’s available in NCR) but found a can of WD-40 underneath my kitchen sink. I decided to give it a try and sprayed the chuck inside out.

It worked!

Don’t leave home without a can of WD-40! 

1.jpg.cf99b188f9eb61635b1275374bfe2e93.jpg

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 2

captainpete

i use it my nuts when they get a bit rusty

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jess Bartone
1 hour ago, captainpete said:

i use it my nuts when they get a bit rusty

Fewer redheads born since wd-40 was invented.

• Haha 1

RogerDat

Just make sure you put 3 in 1 oil after use before you store it. WD40 does not protect long term.

• Like 1

Headshot
2 hours ago, RogerDat said:

Just make sure you put 3 in 1 oil after use before you store it. WD40 does not protect long term.

True. WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a solvent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

shadow
18 minutes ago, Headshot said:

True. WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a solvent.

Do you have a source for this claim?

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture.[11] This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

• Like 3

Headshot
26 minutes ago, shadow said:

Do you have a source for this claim?

I was taught this in college, but there are other sources as well. Basically, WD-40 breaks down rust. Solvents do that. Lubricants do not. WD-40 does have penetrating oil in it, but penetrating oil should NOT be mistaken for a long-term lubricant. It has very low viscosity and it evaporates over time.

WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. And the effect doesn't last. WD-40 can be a good substance to start with — it can help clean up rust or other grime.Mar 9, 2012

https://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-should-i-not-use-wd-40

• Like 2

oztony

"Norm Larsen, founder of Rocket Chemical Company, is considered the original founder of WD-40," according to wd40.com. Larsen aimed to develop a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry. He succeeded at the goal, Water Displacement, on the 40th attempt, hence the name.Jul 24, 2009

miles-high
3 hours ago, RogerDat said:

Now I can see inside the chuck is all rusted... I will have to leave soon but all I have in my condo is a bottle of "extra virgin" olive oil... would that do? Or should I go get  some oil from SM?

Can I use that synthetic motor oil (I think I have an extra can in my car)?

Thanks for your help! 

Highlighter
20 minutes ago, miles-high said:

Now I can see inside the chuck is all rusted... I will have to leave soon but all I have in my condo is a bottle of "extra virgin" olive oil... would that do? Or should I go get  some oil from SM?

Can I use that synthetic motor oil (I think I have an extra can in my car)?

Thanks for your help! 

Oils aint Oils Sol. (Aus TV ad)

Any oil will do the trick. If I only had extra virgin olive oil, that's what I would use.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jester

They also make small cans of WD40 you can carry in your murse.   

hyaku

Years ago my father sprayed WD40 around the lock in his car door panel. It stripped all the paint off the door!