Tullioz

Who are the Badjao and Why are They in the Streets Begging?

Tullioz

beggars.jpg.3b78cf6f315098825ef519957f336aca.jpg

shadow
8 minutes ago, Tullioz said:

beggars.jpg.3b78cf6f315098825ef519957f336aca.jpg

Yep, looks like the are working hard,...

At having more babies to use for begging!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

colemanlee

Kinda looks like the one standing outside the club the other night....

• Like 1

Semper paratus
16 hours ago, Tullioz said:

Is it possible you are confusing other beggars with Badjao? 

Let's see. I have lived in Dumaguete for 8 years and been downtown thousands of times. You say you have never been to Dumaguete. But yet you can somehow perhaps determine I cannot tell a local beggar kid from a Bajao. Interesting. 

16 hours ago, Tullioz said:

• Haha 3

Tullioz
2 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

Let's see. I have lived in Dumaguete for 8 years and been downtown thousands of times. You say you have never been to Dumaguete. But yet you can somehow perhaps determine I cannot tell a local beggar kid from a Bajao. Interesting. 

There are a lot of Filipinos who also confuse Badjao with other local beggars, so how much easier would it be for a foreigner to do the same?

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 1

Semper paratus
1 hour ago, Tullioz said:

There are a lot of Filipinos who also confuse Badjao with other local beggars, so how much easier would it be for a foreigner to do the same?

Someone really needs to spend some boots on the ground time in Dumaguete during the Christmas season or during an event such as the Buglasan festival. After that then perhaps someone with real hands on experience will be able to make an educated comment. My wife is a long time Filipino who by the way is almost always with me, and she sees the same thing I do.  There is a definite difference in the dress and demeanor of the Bajao's and the locals. My wife and I both) see the local beggars over and over. We know the difference. We even know some by name. Does being a "foreigner" mean one cannot see as well as a Filipino ? I await your real life experience in Dumaguete. Get back to me when one has some facts. Until then I see nothing but empty words. 

• Like 1

Tullioz
5 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

There is a definite difference in the dress and demeanor of the Bajao's and the locals. 

Like the ones in this picture? 

beggars.jpg.93c62789374a64fdd1b79b5d55ae16ce.jpg

Edited by Tullioz

Bama

"Badjao mothers love their children just as much as any other parent and would never intentionally have them consume alcohol or any other drug just to make them appear pitiful and lethargic. I have mentioned this in other threads in the past, but the reason their babies appear to be drugged is because of a combination of the heat and malnutrition." 

5a705b3e11478_beggarbabies.jpg.bb3f86b58d4bc54c1f5f6292cb5fe3d7.jpg

I think that the child in the middle passed the baby stage quite sometime back. That's a big kid to be so malnourished so as to become lethargic.I have never seen one cry,fuss,or most of the time even move while being toted around town.

These street beggars hit Tacloban like a cloud of locusts after Yolanda.A lot of foreigners were here then and I'm sure that they were generous as foreigners are apt to be.Today they will chase a foreigner to their cars or confront them in their cars and won't stop rapping on the door glass until it elicits a response.Typically the only way I have found to get them off my window is to open the door and push them out of the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tullioz
16 minutes ago, Bama said:

I think that the child in the middle passed the baby stage quite sometime back. That's a big kid to be so malnourished so as to become lethargic.

I would say that child was somewhere around two years old when I took that picture. Still lethargic because of a combination of the heat and malnutrition though. 

Edited by Tullioz

Tullioz
58 minutes ago, Bama said:

.I have never seen one cry,fuss,or most of the time even move while being toted around town.

Sometimes they can be fussy.

beggar6.jpg.d5b191361dd57186796aa10955e3fdef.jpg

And some babies carried by beggars can look perfectly healthy. 

beggar8.jpg.a243fd2a3acc90e8a76483859833a996.jpg

Edited by Tullioz

Semper paratus
1 hour ago, Bama said:

.Today they will chase a foreigner to their cars or confront them in their cars and won't stop rapping on the door glass until it elicits a response.Typically the only way I have found to get them off my window is to open the door and push them out of the way.

I have found a shot of tear gas gets them away quickly.  Tear gas is readily available here in Dumaguete. Also Mace and Bear spray, work very well.  Or, offer them a job and watch them run like crazy. 

• Haha 1

Jess Bartone

It's human nature to make judgements by personal experience, so telling someone over and over that they are wrong might not have much of an impact. We were in a bus station where plenty of Badjaos had set up the cardboard residences, one of the kids about 10 or so came up and asked for money, the missus said no, so quick as a flash the little bastard put his hand down his pants and wiped it through his arse, then wiped it on her mouth and nose... real quick like it was well practiced... and ran like hell.

cvgtpc1

I remember Tacloban in the 80s.  If the very odd beggar which you rarely saw tried to hit you up the locals would shoo them away from you in embarrassment....fast fwd to now and they line up waiting for me to leave a store if they see me inside through the window.

• Like 1

Semper paratus
1 hour ago, Tullioz said:

Sometimes they can be fussy.

beggar6.jpg.d5b191361dd57186796aa10955e3fdef.jpg

And some babies carried by beggars can look perfectly healthy. 

beggar8.jpg.a243fd2a3acc90e8a76483859833a996.jpg

In the dictionary one can find sympathy between shit and syphilis

Tullioz
54 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

In the dictionary one can find sympathy between shit and syphilis

While that's true, there are a lot of people in this world that we should show at least a little sympathy towards. Here in the Philippines the Badjao  are considered the poorest, most marginalized and discriminated against tribe by most people,  so it wouldn't hurt to show them a little sympathy from time to time. 

Edited by Tullioz