Cgu

Do you use other Cebu forums, social media sites

hyaku
8 hours ago, Busted Dick said:

In my experience, most of the Cebu/Philippines expat groups on Facebook are full of trolls, whiners and narcissists.  Meaningful posts are pretty soon clogged up with rubbish and it is difficult to express a view without being shouted down.  It is not easy to weed out the useful, informative posts from the crap. This forum, however, being (sometimes) heavily moderated, tends to stay on track and has a wealth of information, available on it, with little of the rubbish.  That said, Cebu Foreigners Club on FB is a very good secondary resource; largely because it is moderated.

You can always try,

Foreigners In The Philippines, Free For All

JamesMusslewhite
8 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

So that's why I haven't seen much from you in the recent past!

What a pity. I enjoyed reading your horticulture/prawn-breeding/building, etc stuff.

Interesting topics I know B*****all about!

My occasional contribution on stuff I do know something about.

(And the occasional minor confrontation on some other topics - Lol!)

Please come back!

For the last 8 months I have been spending my time working on the first YouTube video of what will be a 6-part video series on lobster aquaculuure/mariculture. This first video required my going back through more than a dozen text books, 400 research document PDFs and reviewing over a hundred websites and videos. I compiled all my own personal research data that which I collected over the last eight years and wrote an initial 140 page script on the biology, physiology, life cycle and husbandry of the Panulirus ornatus specie, I have did quite a few edits to the script and finally compressed the data down to a tightly written 11-font 42 pages. I am now working on the final edit which should be completed by the weekend. I went through my own photos and scoured the internet to find the best photos, charts and diagrams; which I resized, framed and edited I also drew over 200 drawings, diagrams and charts. These have been compiled into a 'ProShow' slideshow of over 700 frames; which will still need to be reorganized once I have finished the final edit of the scrip. Then I have to do the voiceover and sinc that sound tract the slideshow. It looks like the YouTube video will be over three hours length, so I will have to break it down to 3 parts.

This first video is a training video that primarily targets viewers who are interested in starting their own lobster 'grow-out' aquaculturial set-up as a potential business venture. I will also be covering 'live-capture' pueruli and juvenile collection, so it should be usefull for both the lobster farmer and the lobster fisherman. When I get it uploaded there will be nothing like it on the internet. Lobster 'grow-out' aquaculture is a $6 billion dollar industry with a 5% yearly growth. Once I finish this video I will starting om the next video. As I was working on the research for this first video I have been also working on the scripts, drawings and photo collection for the remaining 5 videos of this series. The lobster hatchery has been approved for a 5 million peso grant through the Department of Fisheries, so I need to get as much done on these videos before the funds are allocated; because I will be kicking the construction of this micro-hatchery into high gear, and this project will occupying most of my time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Jawny

I am a subscriber to a user group called Philmug. It is a Apple computer oriented group.  I dont  use it much any more, but when I bought my first iMac, I found them quite useful.  Not for technical information.  I used the forum to gain knowledge about where to get Apple service, buy their products and the like. They had a long standing thread of "free games and apps" which would be updated frequently by members who know when an app was free or reduced price.

The name, philmug refers to Philippines Mac users group. 

JamesMusslewhite
54 minutes ago, shadow said:

Exactly which threads are you referring to, James? I just went to the farming and gardening forum, and found no less than 6 threads started by you, which were pinned and still open for posting, but few have been posted in for several years.

Most forum software is set to close a thread after a period of time with no posts, with the exception of pinned topics. If there are other threads that you would like to see re-opened and or set as a pinned topic, send me a PM and I will gladly unlock and/or pin them for you.

Videos on youtube are sometimes moved or taken down, nothing we can do about that. A picture properly uploaded to the forum should not go away.

Be more specific, we are here for the betterment of the forum, and will gladly fix what we can, if you will just ask someone in a PM.

When I still had moderation features in the gardening section I had unlocked quite a few of the older threads with the intention of reviving them with new information to stimulate them. There were several threads which I had structured them with blank posts under the OP which new information and photos would be added later. The 'lock thread' feature also allowed time when adding the main body of information allowing it to be grouped together directly below the OP instead of being scattered among the comments.

The main issue is the loss of photos and videos. When I start such a thread it is intention of be educational for the members showing them the topics in detail. So as the reader works through the subject text there are associated photos added is visual aids allowing the reader to gain a better understanding of the topics. being discussed. An excellent example is the 'roof top compost' thread which produces an excellent lightweight virtually soil-less medium, now useless. Most of my threads in the gardening section, my boat building thread, Fish pond, Lobster hut and hatchery thread now have 3/4% or more of the photos removed  This makes them useless and confusing.

Even if I scoured through 9 years of photos and videos and try to determine which are the right ones and the order which they should be posted, there is no way to reedit the threads or upgrade the body of the text. So I am left two choices

a.) completely make a new thread where edit features can time-out a post not allowing the addition of photos or the editing of the text body. Which would be redundant and would not allow me to work on the threads at my own pace, and could only cause unnecessary frustration while replacing  previous posted work. 

b.) Just not bother, and just be patient and wait until I find a better solution where I can protect, control and be allowed to edit my work.

This seems the be the most practice solution is to start my own forum site were I can post the volume of threads that I plan on posting. I have over 35 years of commercial subtropical and tropical experience so I can easily write in-depth articles on the topics such as farmyard husbandry, gardening, agriculture, nursery stock production, greenhouse production, composting, soil technologies, vermiculture, hydroponics, aquaponics, mariculture, freshwater/saltwater fish production, hatchery production and lobster production. These writing I can easily post as threads for the forum, and there I actually have full editing controls allowing me to insure the quality of the treads and videos. Then later if I chose it will be quite simply post mirrored-treads on forum sites which have gardening sections.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Cgu
6 hours ago, Busted Dick said:

In my experience, most of the Cebu/Philippines expat groups on Facebook are full of trolls, whiners and narcissists.  Meaningful posts are pretty soon clogged up with rubbish and it is difficult to express a view without being shouted down.  It is not easy to weed out the useful, informative posts from the crap. This forum, however, being (sometimes) heavily moderated, tends to stay on track and has a wealth of information, available on it, with little of the rubbish.  That said, Cebu Foreigners Club on FB is a very good secondary resource; largely because it is moderated.

I find it as well that it has good information (of course like any other group you get some crap). Like I said I use both, specially for news - like with 7000+ members and lot of them are active - you get news and information about Cebu very quickly.

Also, if you want to get business information or want to get in touch with business owner it is a very good source. I met some people in person and was impressed by the operations and knowledge they have about doing business in Cebu (as of course you will see in their profile (or can search it) if they have a business you are interested or want to do business with (and you can mostly verified it through their web site and other resources like LinkedIn etc.) - so no monkey business:D

But as I said - i lkie LinC as well  and my orginally question was if members here are as well diversified or just stick to LinC and nothing else.

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite

I have membership in a few FB expat groups but I really do not post in them much. I started a FB farm & gardening group about 5 years ago and am getting close to 19,000 members. With my workload I barely have time to post in my own FB group. I am blessed in that I have a fellow LinC member who is the Mod of the group, without him the group would not be the quality that it is. Having a FB group that is that old and which has the number of posts and volume of membership I know from experience just how difficult the single line format is to navigate and how hard it is to follow comments.

This is the advantage  that forms have over FB groups, Forums allow the various topics to the organized in groupings of subject matter. This allows the members to quickly go back and find the topics and is much easier to follow the chain of comments and replies.If there was a way to combine FaceBook to a forum format which possessed an interconnected linking of accounts you would have the social media craze of the next decade. Imagine real-time conference video-call forum-based FB chat rooms.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 2

Salty Dog
4 hours ago, hyaku said:

You can always try,

Foreigners In The Philippines, Free For All

7 hours ago, Member #1 said:

...I want this site to be a good source of accurate information and discussion. If there are other sites that can help the membership then we can talk about them here. I only have a "no link without reciprocity" policy with 'competing' sites. So please help us out by not posting direct URL links to other such sites without permission. It shouldn't be hard for anyone to find them, and if they still can't it is nothing a PM can't fix....

• Like 1

Aerosick

I got started in 1998 when there were 3 of us that got tired of just Emailing each other. That grew into a Yahoo Group that went viral. Then I built a Forum from scratch for them, which is still going. I only go there once or twice a year as they have enough Mods now.

In the last 20 years I have seen disgruntled Members of many Groups/Forums go off and start their own with "looser" Rules. We all know how that works out!!

This is the only one I stay active in now. It's enough for me!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

RogerDuMond

No

Sean72

This will be my first post since joining in May 2012. I have been reading and posting prior to that under several names as I have always been banned by Paul for speaking the truth about a subject being discussed. If it wasn't his way it was the highway.

This forum probably has thousands of members, yet only a relatively small portion ever post.

I come here for entertainment only. I can find the answer to my questions through other and much more reliable means.

I found Paul's rules quite oppressive and heavy handed. As for the new owner, and it is his website, but already he is carrying forward rules that I don't agree with. He can do as he pleases, but I can say, if i disagree, I am sure there are others.

The question to be asking is why aren't all current members active in the discussions? Don't worry about new members just yet, this forum has an untapped resource already signed up and with the potential to add to the discussions.

I know Paul has seemingly removed himself now, but a Google search will show the true character of him. I never liked him and his hypocrisy. No matter what he tried to portray online, his off line personality showed through profoundly.

I can almost bet that this forum, although the new owner making attempts to improve and/or change it, will not be any different than what it is now. A handful of characters having a conversation among themselves.

So to wrap it up, I consider this forum for entertainment purposes only. I can do with or without as I have never got any useful information from it (and I have been reading Paul's yahoo group and this forum when he moved it from his yahoo group) other than what kind of person Paul really is.

I do wish the new owner success, but in running a business I learned very early on, to be successful you must give what your customers want, not what you want to give them.

This will probably be my first and last post, as I will go back to being a lurker.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

shadow
4 hours ago, Aerosick said:

I got started in 1998 when there were 3 of us that got tired of just Emailing each other. That grew into a Yahoo Group that went viral. Then I built a Forum from scratch for them, which is still going. I only go there once or twice a year as they have enough Mods now.

In the last 20 years I have seen disgruntled Members of many Groups/Forums go off and start their own with "looser" Rules. We all know how that works out!!

This is the only one I stay active in now. It's enough for me!!!

I joined the original MA forum you speak of in 1999, and made the transfer to Yahoo groups.  I stayed active in the group, and many others, until about 5 years ago, when JD got upset when I asked RM to prove the lies he was spouting about me on the open forum. That was the end of all Yahoo Groups for me, and slowly over the years all forums have ceased to exist for me. This is the only forum left.

• Like 2

cvgtpc1

I go to a Clark AB pics FB page sometimes.  Like seeing the old pictures from my days there.

• Thanks 1

Dafey
6 hours ago, Sean72 said:

The question to be asking is why aren't all current members active in the discussions? Don't worry about new members just yet, this forum has an untapped resource already signed up and with the potential to add to the discussions.

Hi Sean, we would love to hear from those Members and even have a platform under Newbies if they are not comfortable posting in the main Forum right off. Don't be a stranger!!! We need new blood and opinions.

• Like 2

Mr. Mike

Sean...to attempt to answer your question.."why aren't all current members active in the discussions?"

LinC , was/is intended to be a resource forum for information on the RP. Including an opportunity for members to ask for help and information.  It does a great job at this.

Granted, there are some lite hearted topics on the forum upon which any member can contribute in their own way. And I am all for them. Nothing wrong with fun/humorous topics.

I think of LinC, much like an archive/library....It is available when it is needed by the members.

but I do not expect "all current members to be active" at any one point in time, just for the sake of forum activity...

Much can be gleaned from this site without necessarily having to make a post.

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 1

Jim Sibbick

I lost interest in LINC years ago because it is too one sided towards America. I only stayed because of my connections with Paul. 

Paul told me before the change over who was taking over. If that information is still correct, I will be staying because he is a good friend.

I mainly focus on Trip Advisor where I am one of the destination experts for Cebu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2