• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Woolf

City to impound vehicles, motorbikes that counterflow

Semper paratus
3 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

If you download from this site above you can store it in your downloads, documents. or where ever and read or print whenever you want to. I have a copy of the traffic rules section in the glove box of my car just in case I have to show the rules to some enforcer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bama
1 hour ago, Semper paratus said:

I have a copy of the traffic rules section in the glove box of my car just in case I have to show the rules to some enforcer.

Has anyone ever "show(n) the rules to an enforcer" ever gotten a positive response from the enforcer after doing so? Just wondering.

• Like 1

musicman666
7 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

I have been  trying to source a book on traffic rules and regulations in the Philippines, to no avail. I presume it's 'just go with the flow'!

Reckless driving is the catch all that will be quoted if you try and argue the point ...

SkyMan

This still only applies to Cebu, right?

Woolf
4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

This still only applies to Cebu, right?

traffic rules are for all of Philippines, crossing a yellow line is reckless driving

only in Cebu City will they impound your vehicle for 1 month (for now)

SkyMan
6 hours ago, Woolf said:

crossing a yellow line is reckless driving

A friend of mine was making a left turn from the highway in Liloan.  He was signalling but a scooter hit him on the left.  The cop said he couldn't turn left at a yellow line.  (No mention of 'then how is it ok for the scooter to pass on the left')  At the time, the yellow line ran the length of Liloan with not breaks so that meant that the only way to turn left would be to drive to Consolacion or Compostela.

• Haha 3

Woolf
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

A friend of mine was making a left turn from the highway in Liloan.  He was signalling but a scooter hit him on the left.  The cop said he couldn't turn left at a yellow line.  (No mention of 'then how is it ok for the scooter to pass on the left')  At the time, the yellow line ran the length of Liloan with not breaks so that meant that the only way to turn left would be to drive to Consolacion or Compostela.

I my book it is the one changing direction that is at fault

Woolf

Cebu Daily News

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/163495/lesser-accidents-improved-traffic-flow-first-week

Lesser accidents, improved traffic flow on the first week

By: Doris Mae C. Mondragon

@cebudailynews

10:42 PM February 12th, 2018

COUNTERFLOWING MEASURE

Just a week into the implementation of Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña’s Executive Order 34 or the anti-counterflowing measure, the city’s traffic problems are showing signs of abating, according to the Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) Operations Chief Francisco Ouano.

In assessing the new traffic measure, Ouano said motorcycle collisions caused by counter flowing have already been minimized within the last few days.

The flow of traffic in the city’s major thoroughfares has also noticeably improved.

While the city’s traffic code imposes a fine of P 500 for those caught counterflowing or running against the flow of traffic coming from the opposite direction, EO 34 – released recently – authorizes the CCTO to impound erring vehicles for 30 days.

A total of 220 vehicles consisting of 200 motorcycles, 12 private cars, five taxis and three jeepneys were, so far, impounded during the first week of the order’s implementation which took effect last February 5.

The vehicles are being impounded in the city’s South Road Properties (SRP).

“So far nakita nato nga naa gihapoy mga motorista nga nagsukwahi pero mas ni-menus na gyud kay lagi nakadungog sila nga ang penalty ipa impound for 30 days so wa gyuy maayong laki, motagam gyud sila (So far, we noticed that while some motorists continued to violate counterflowing, a lot of others are following the law after hearing that erring vehicles will be impounded for 30 days. No one can dare to not learn his lesson)” Ouano said.

The CCTO is currently collating data on vehicular accidents caused by counterflowing before and after the implementation of the EO.

Ouano assured that the EO will be strictly implemented in order to impose total discipline among the drivers and minimize vehicular accidents.

A special team from CCTO was also directed to strictly enforce traffic rules on drivers who block pedestrian lanes and encroach the road junction boxes.

Meanwhile Ouano explained that while there had been motorist complaints regarding the No U-turn signages at the SRP because of the longer distance needed to find a U-turn slot, the traffic measure will have to stay as it has managed to prevent accidents.

“ In our assessment maayo man ang dagan sa trapiko although taas ang iyang tuyok pero atong gihunahuna nga daghan man sad kaayong aksidente matag adlaw dihang dapita. Ang ato is precaution lang (In our assessment, the traffic flow has improved though the U-turn slot is far; but this has managed to prevent accidents from happening in that area every day),” said Ouano noting that several motorists exceed the 60 kph speed limit of the SRP especially at night.

To monitor violators, CCTO is waiting for the arrival of two radar speed guns purchased by the city.

A speed gun is a device used to measure the speed of moving objects.

musicman666

Accidents take so long to clear ...even stupid knock for knocks can cause mile long tailbacks.

shadow
13 minutes ago, musicman666 said:

Accidents take so long to clear ...even stupid knock for knocks can cause mile long tailbacks.

In many (if not most) US states, the priority at a non injury accident is to clear the road, to reduce additional accidents. Here, they want everything to stay exactly how it landed until the Police do their "investigation". Sometimes this takes quite a while, recently at an accident near here it took the police 40 minutes just to get there, and an hour to do their "investigation". It was one KM of open highway away from the police station, what were they doing, having a donut? In the meantime, the guy on the motorbike lays unconscious in the ditch, and traffic is reduced to one lane. No hurry...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

smokey

With so many people not having insurance fixing blame is a must

RR3

Cannot take bike anymore to ciudad, I do 'counter-flow' instinctively. And safe ofcourse :cool:

However, this action soon past as always in PI

• Like 1

musicman666
10 hours ago, RR3 said:

Cannot take bike anymore to ciudad, I do 'counter-flow' instinctively. And safe ofcourse :cool:

And so you take the car which occupies at least 6 bikes if not more....this policy is flawed.

• Thanks 1

Headshot
11 hours ago, RR3 said:

Don't bet on it. The governor has extended the policy to the entire province (but it takes a bit longer to implement in in a larger area).

Edited by Headshot