• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Woolf

City to impound vehicles, motorbikes that counterflow

RR3

Traffic rules in PI? Never heard of, nobody follows anyways. With a bike it is a reality show to stay alive when folks have a car but cannot drive.

musicman666

Just posting cold ...maybe I can’t remember ....but they shouldn’t include motorbikes...the whole point of a bike is you can weave your way through this mess which let’s be honest was not of their making ..if a situation arises where traffic is being blocked bikes can still filter forward and out of the way ...so in my mind it’s a mistake ...let the bikes off this rule. ...I say this as a car owner which I use a lot more than my bike. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Woolf
7 minutes ago, musicman666 said:

Just posting cold ...maybe I can’t remember ....but they shouldn’t include motorbikes...the whole point of a bike is you can weave your way through this mess which let’s be honest was not of their making ..if a situation arises where traffic is being blocked bikes can still filter forward and out of the way ...so in my mind it’s a mistake ...let the bikes off this rule. ...I say this as a car owner which I use a lot more than my bike. 

Do you really think counter flowing at a road like this one (crossing the yellow line) ??

Bikes can filter up between the cars or to the right of the cars in the right lane when red light

but NEVER cross the yellow line

https://www.google.dk/maps/@10.2545681,123.8100894,3a,75y,210.94h,79.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssWmI_3h1_dHWHn8cFfLP1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

When I lived in yate, liloan and going to cebu city in the mornings I saw bikes and jeepnies 

crossing the yellow lines more often than not

specially here at this traffic light

https://www.google.dk/maps/@10.3622474,123.9498118,3a,75y,211.06h,87.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxHw7NeIdf1fNZilnk36NgA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Headshot
1 hour ago, musicman666 said:

if a situation arises where traffic is being blocked bikes can still filter forward and out of the way

Motorbikes don't filter to the front and out of the way. They just filter to the front and block traffic (from the front). They are as much a part of the traffic congestion problem as jeepney drivers.

• Thanks 2

Woolf
4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

They just filter to the front and block traffic (from the front)

That is not my observation, they filter to the front at the traffic light

and start much much faster when light turns green

• Like 2

musicman666

Well all I can think is If the motorbikes decide that it’s not an advantage anymore and all decide to take jeepnies then the bad situation will be multiplied ...bikes are far more efficient space wise with regards to traffic....people should be encouraged to go by bike..not discouraged. 

• Like 3

Headshot
43 minutes ago, Woolf said:

That is not my observation, they filter to the front at the traffic light

and start much much faster when light turns green

Some do. Others are very slow. But ALL filter up to the front of backed-up traffic (and slide in front of (and every available space in between) other vehicles that were already up to the traffic lines at intersections). Those that go buzzing off like a swarm of angry hornets, cause little congestion behind them, but those that can't even keep up with normal timid Filipino drivers block lanes and cause even more backing behind themselves. Watch sometime at busy intersections. When the motorbikes fill in every area in front of, and in between the other vehicles, the other vehicles (that were there first) have a difficult time moving (because there are motorbikes blocking their way).

• Like 3

Woolf

SunStar

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2018/02/06/40-motorcycles-2-cars-jeepney-caught-day-1-587497

40 motorcycles, 2 cars, a jeepney caught on Day 1

Monday, February 05, 2018 By RAZEL V. CUIZON

MORE than 40 vehicles, mostly motorcycles, were apprehended on Monday, February 5, the first day of implementation of Executive Order (EO) 034, which allows the traffic group to seize vehicles of drivers caught counter-flowing in Cebu City. As of 6 p.m. Monday, enforcers of the Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) impounded more than 40 motorcycles, five private vehicles, one taxi and one public utility jeepney (PUJ). CCTO Operations Chief Francisco Ouano said these vehicles were caught counter-flowing on M. Velez St. and A. Soriano St. and in Banawa and Carreta. “Our focus was in these areas because based on our monitoring, counter-flowing is rampant. This doesn’t mean that other roads are exempted,” he said. All impounded vehicles were brought to the storage area of CCTO in the South Road Properties, where these will be kept for 30 days, as stated under Section 3 of the EO. The violator will have to pay P500 as a fine for counter-flowing if there’s no other pending violation. The City will not charge him or her for the cost of keeping the vehicle in its property. Mayor Tomas Osmeña signed the EO last Friday, and it took effect immediately after, but Ouano said they opted to implement it yesterday as more vehicles were expected to be on the road. CCTO usually collects storage fees for seized vehicles but Osmeña said he waived it because he is not after the income that the campaign might generate. Osmeña said he wants drivers to observe discipline and follow rules while driving. EO No. 034 goes after reckless driving pursuant to existing laws and provides for sanctions. According to Section 1, the order will cover all forms of reckless driving, but particularly driving left or more commonly known as counter-flowing, as defined under Republic Act 4136 or the Traffic Code of the Philippines and City Ordinance 801 or the Traffic Code of Cebu City. Only emergency vehicles like ambulances, patrol cars, fire trucks and vehicles of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology that are legitimately using their sirens are exempted, Ouano said. No excuse When CCTO began enforcing the order yesterday, Ouano said that many of the drivers claimed they were not aware of the new EO. But the rule against counter-flowing has been established long before and the offense is considered reckless driving, for which penalties have existed before the mayor’s EO. “What is new here is that we are impounding their vehicles. Counter-flowing has always been a violation of traffic rules,” Ouano said. Some of the motorcycle drivers who were apprehended yesterday also didn’t have a driver’s license, another violation. The driver of the only PUJ that was apprehended yesterday, which travels from Labangon to Ayala Center Cebu, told traffic enforcers that he had to overtake the vehicle ahead of him. “Counter-flowing is different from overtaking. When you overtake, you have to make sure that you’re within your lane. Once you touch the solid yellow lane, that’s the time you counter-flow because that’s not already the lane that is intended for you,” he said. An official of the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 said that the police will support the local government’s campaign against counter-flowing. But Supt. Reyman Tolentin, PRO 7 spokesperson, said there is an exemption, such as when the police chase after criminals or respond to alarms. Cebu City Police Office spokesperson Supt. Artemio Ricabo said that the police will help catch drivers. “If they are caught in the act and resists authorities like the enforcers, then our policemen can support the traffic enforcer,” Ricabo said. (With JOB) Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on February 06, 2018.

• Like 2

Woolf

Cebu Daily News

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/162726/45-vehicles-impounded-first-day-anti-counterflow-drive

45 vehicles impounded on first day of anti-counterflow drive

By: Nestle L. Semilla

@cebudailynews

10:04 PM February 5th, 2018

As expected, a lot of drivers still violated the counter flow traffic rule despite the early warnings issued by the city prior to its full implementation yesterday.

As of 5 p.m. yesterday, Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) operations chief Francisco Ouano said that they have impounded at least 40 motorcycles, four private vehicles, and one public utility jeepney (PUJ) for violating the anti-counterflowing executive order of Cebu City mayor Tomas Osmeña.

Ouano said they were not surprised by the huge number of violators.

“Nakita na g’yud ang kamatuoran nga daghan ang walay disiplina nga drivers kay sayon-sayon nalang nila ang pag-counterflow (This is proof that many drivers lack discipline),” Ouano said.

Last Friday, Osmeña signed executive order 34 which covers all forms of reckless driving, specifically “driving left or commonly known as driving counterflow.”

Under the EO, reckless drivers or violators shall be prosecuted in accordance with the existing traffic laws, ordinances, circulars, rules, and regulations.

Once violators are apprehended, their vehicles will be impounded for 30 days with no fines or storage fees collected.

However, Ouano said that they issued citation tickets to drivers for reckless driving which has a fine of P500 under City Ordinance 801.

“Aside from counterflow nga EO ni Mayor (Osmeña) naa tay citation ticket i-issue for reckless driving nila. But wala nay bayad ang pag-impound sa ilang sakyanan,” Ouano said.

(Aside from the counter flow EO of Mayor Osmeña we also issued citation tickets for reckless driving. But we won’t fine them for impounding).

Ouano said that since counterflowing has been prohibited even before, the drivers have no reason to violate the law.

Ouano said that it is even stipulated in Republic Act 4136 that counter-flowing is a violation of traffic rules.

“Naa tay nadakpan nga taga Talisay ug taga Toledo pa daw sila maong wala sila kahibaw sa traffic rule karon sa city. Pero akong giingon nila nga dugay nana nga balaod. Pagkuha nila sa ilang lisensiya apil na sa ilahang seminar,” Ouano said.

(We apprehended drivers from the cities of Talisay and Toledo and they claimed that they were not aware of the new traffic rule being implemented in the city. However, I told them that the said rule has been there a long time ago. In fact it was discussed in seminars when they get their license)
Ouano warned that they will be on the streets 24 hours a day so drivers should not counterflow.

The impounded vehicles are now at the South Road Properties (SRP) where the city allocated 1.5 hectares as an impounding facility.

• Like 2

Goetz1965

In 1 day:  40 motorcyles - 4 cars - 1 jeepney
In 30 days - 1200 motorcycles - 120 cars - 30 jeepneys 

Luckily SRP is spacious ...

Enuff

I love it!315e8708c6c277affe70c183afc823c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

shadow
14 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

In 1 day:  40 motorcyles - 4 cars - 1 jeepney
In 30 days - 1200 motorcycles - 120 cars - 30 jeepneys 

Luckily SRP is spacious ...

No way can they maintain that for long, no storage.

• Like 1

Dafey
28 minutes ago, Enuff said:

I love it!315e8708c6c277affe70c183afc823c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The "rich" don't drive motorbikes

Woolf
10 minutes ago, Dafey said:

The "rich" don't drive motorbikes

NO ??????

I do to avoid sitting in traffic for hours

my neighbor does too, same reason 

• Like 2

Dafey

Woolfman!!!! I didn't know you were rich!

I was thinking Filipinos. They need big SUVs to show their status.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1