Woolf

City to impound vehicles, motorbikes that counterflow

Woolf
19 minutes ago, lamoe said:

100 M? even 10M if in other lanes

so if I pass the tricicat here when in my car I am counterflowing ?

I will be in my left lane for more than 10 meter

https://www.google.dk/maps/@10.261231,123.8407,3a,75y,201.7h,63.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVoS3drDjZfhzhZ5BYHF5Xw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

lamoe
9 minutes ago, Woolf said:

so if I pass the tricicat here when in my car I am counterflowing ?

I will be in my left lane for more than 10 meter

https://www.google.dk/maps/@10.261231,123.8407,3a,75y,201.7h,63.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVoS3drDjZfhzhZ5BYHF5Xw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

YES

The lines have a purpose  - silly me to actually expect obeying the laws

Woolf
5 minutes ago, lamoe said:

YES

The lines have a purpose  - silly me to actually expect obeying the laws

In my book, I am allowed to cross "dotted" lines if in no danger to anybody else

• Like 1

Woolf

SunStar

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2018/01/26/counterflow-ban-gets-capitol-okay-585954

Counterflow ban gets capitol okay

Friday, January 26, 2018 By JUSTIN K. VESTILRONA JOYCE T. FERNANDEZ

GOV. Hilario Davide III is amenable to replicating the no counterflowing measure implemented by Mayor Tomas Osmeña in Cebu City in the province since it aims to instill discipline among motorists. “Of course I’m in favor of that. The problem here with our drivers is they lack discipline. Not just in Cebu City, but all parts of the province,” Davide said. However, there will have to be exemptions, he said, like emergency vehicles and vehicles on two-lane roads. The Land Transportation Office (LTO) 7, for its part, is interested to know how Osmeña plans to implement the measure and how this can be replicated in other areas if it becomes successful. LTO 7 Director Victor Caindec reminded motorists that counterflowing, especially on national roads, is equivalent to reckless driving. Based on LTO’s joint administrative order 2014-01, motorists who are caught reckless driving face a fine of P2,000 for the first offense; P3,000 for the second offense; and P10,000 for the third offense. Caindec said he supports Osmeña’s move as it aims to prevent accidents. “For as long as it is done with due process, and that it isn’t discriminatory to motorists, then it’s okay with us,” he said. In another development, Osmeña supports the proposed measure that will allow local government units (LGU) to regulate the operation of motorcycle taxis in their area. He said LGUs have a better grasp of the traffic situation and needs of their constituents. Once this is implemented, the National Government can just monitor and withdraw the authority from the LGUs should it find the latter’s measures ineffective. “Very clearly, the National (Government) has no idea since ‘no’ is all they say. When you have 2,000 LGUs, you can solve it well because they can always exchange ideas. The National can also cancel their right to do so if they abuse it,” Osmeña said. Cebu City North District Rep. Raul del Mar and Rep. Ramon “Red” Durano VI (Cebu, 5th district) have also proposed letting LGUs solve traffic concerns at their level. Under Republic Act (RA) 7160, or the Local Government Code, only tricycles are recognized by law as public utility vehicles (PUVs). The second amendment del Mar filed in the House committee on transportation is to remove private motorcycles from the list of vehicles that are not allowed to operate as PUVs under Section 7 of RA 4136, or the Land Transportation and Traffic Code. Once the measures are approved by the committee, the congressman said these will be forwarded to the plenary for the second and third readings before it is submitted to the Senate. At City Hall, Osmeña reiterated that while motorcycle taxis may not be as useful in other parts of the country, it is a growing reality in Cebu. The mayor made public two months ago his plans to hire Angkas’s consultation and management services. With this, he said it could be an opportunity to regulate them to avoid untoward incidents. This would mean that the partner-motorcycle drivers would no longer remit 20 percent of their earnings to Angkas, as the City Government would shoulder the expenses. Osmeña said it was his response to the appeals of students and workers to let the motorcycle ride-booking transportation service continue its operations in the city. He added that once this is realized, motorcycle taxi drivers will be encouraged to join Angkas, and that the City Government will have better control on them. A public hearing on the issue has been proposed by the Congress committee on transportation. The date, though, has yet to be finalized. Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on January 27, 2018.

• Thanks 1

Headshot

They will need to build some much larger impound lots.

max111
5 hours ago, Headshot said:

They will need to build some much larger impound lots.

Yes  my thougth as well but probably only an initial issue until people learned to follow the new law.

• Like 2

lamoe
11 hours ago, Woolf said:

In my book, I am allowed to cross "dotted" lines if in no danger to anybody else

Cross is not the same as ride in

Here cross can mean across the city

Edited by lamoe

SkyMan
13 hours ago, lamoe said:

100 M? even 10M if in other lanes

Is that meters or miles?

• Haha 1

musicman666

Reckless is the wildcard....

Headshot
22 hours ago, Woolf said:

I have no idea where you are finding these "dotted" lines. Very few two-lane streets even have center lines. Pretty much all of the multi-lane streets in the metro area (that don't have some sort of barrier down the middle) have double solid yellow lines dividing the opposing lanes. In most places, that means no passing, but I have no idea what it means here because I've never seen it enforced (until now). I'm not going to hold my breath to see if it will be enforced now either. Most announcements like this are just for the publicity, and don't actually get enforced.

Then again, curbs painted bright yellow or red usually means "no stopping or parking" as well, but most people here ignore that as well. It doesn't matter anyway because I can't count the number of times I have seen jeepneys stop right in front of a "No Stopping Anytime" sign to drop off or pick up passengers. So, if drivers will blatantly ignore clearly written signs, what good is yellow paint? They don't really require drivers to demonstrate any understanding of the law here, so why would anybody expect that they would?

Then, you have motorbikes using sidewalks (where they can be found) as another traffic lane. I have seen jeepneys using the sidewalks as well. Or vehicles creating a third lane where there are only supposed to be two. Face it. There is no real enforcement of traffic laws here because every time they try, somebody protests, the politicians back down, and the enforcement stops.

Woolf
7 minutes ago, Headshot said:
23 hours ago, Woolf said:

I have no idea where you are finding these "dotted" lines.

Did you take the street view link I provided ??

It was given as a response to lamoe

as an example that when passing you could go more than 10 meters in the wrong lane perfectly legal

the street view is from the road you see on the map

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/10.2624829,123.8409591/10.2527208,123.8392639/@10.257377,123.837694,16.54z

Soarking

No need to worry or take action against these minor traffic violations.  Once they get a fleet of the bus-trains operating on the streets of Cebu, and the Jeepnies all convert to new electric powered.  Not to mention the subway system soon coming to Cebu, (or is it elevated trains.).

Thaffic problems will soon be a thing of the past.

• Haha 6

max111
1 hour ago, Soarking said:

No need to worry or take action against these minor traffic violations.  Once they get a fleet of the bus-trains operating on the streets of Cebu, and the Jeepnies all convert to new electric powered.  Not to mention the subway system soon coming to Cebu, (or is it elevated trains.).

Thaffic problems will soon be a thing of the past.

I see so sarcastic post, as usual here....  But can provide some feasible solution to the traffic problem?

• Like 1

Flakes
46 minutes ago, max111 said:

I see so sarcastic post, as usual here....  But can provide some feasible solution to the traffic problem?

let 50% of the citizens drive their cars on even days and the other 50% drive their cars on the uneven days.

Woolf

Cebu Daily News

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/162499/implementation-counterflow-eo-starts-monday

Implementation of counterflow EO starts Monday

By: Morexette B. Erram, Nestle L. Semilla

@cebudailynews

10:17 PM February 3rd, 2018

THE executive order (EO) impounding counterflowing vehicles will be fully implemented tomorrow.

This to give the public a heads up of the EO which was signed by Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña last Friday.

Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) operations chief Francisco Ouano said traffic enforcers will be in the streets 24 hours a day to enforce EO No 34.

“Naa tay team nga mobile patrol nga maoy intended nga modakop sa mo-counter flow,” Ouano said.

(We have a mobile patrol team intended to apprehend those who will counter flow)

Ouano said that the mobile patrol is separate from traffic enforcers manning the traffic.

There will be eight mobile patrol teams of three personnel each from CCTO and one police officer, said Ouano.

“Hangyo nalang nato sa motorists nga di nalang mo counter flow kay dili g’yud ta magduha-duha sa pag-impound sa ilang sakyanan. Ang punto ra ni Mayor (Osmeña) ani is para sa pagdisiplina sa motorista ug to save more lives (on the road),” Ouano said.

(We urged the motorists not to counterflow because we will not hesitate to impound their vehicles. The Mayor just wants to discipline the motorists and to save more life on the roads)

Ouano said there are exemptions for ambulances, fire trucks, police cars and other vehicles responding to emergencies among others that are on emergency responds.

“Case to case basis pud siya. If ang taxi naay sakay nga emergency pwede ‘sab na siya,” Ouano explained.

(Case to case basis, like if taxis have emergencies then it can counterflow.)

The EO covers all forms of reckless driving, specifically “driving left or commonly known as driving counter flow”.

In his order, Osmeña said violations of basic traffic rules and regulations are rampant in city’s roads.

Pursuant to Republic Act 4136 otherwise known as Traffic Code of the Philippines, Osmeña declared all reckless driving especially counter flowing as nuisance per se.

Under the EO, reckless drivers or violators shall be prosecuted in accordance with the existing traffic laws, ordinances, circulars, rules, and regulations.

Once violators are apprehended their vehicles will be impounded for a period of not more than 30 days. There will be no fines or storage fees.

Osmeña on his Facebook post stated that he does not like imposing fines on violators as he wants the “rich and poor to suffer equally”.

Meanwhile, Pagkakaisa ng Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Opereytor (Piston) Cebu president Greg Perez said that the EO violated the national law.

He said that EO 34 overlaps RA 4136.

“Kami wa miingon nga uyon o wala kauyon, pero nakalapas g’yud siya sa nasudnong balaod. Dili angay iimpound ang mga sakyanan,” Perez said.

(We are not saying that we agree or disagree but the EO violates the national law. They should not impound the vehicles)

On the other hand, the Cebu Integrated Transport Cooperative (Citrasco) said they are glad about reinforcing existing laws which prohibit vehicles from counterflowing.

Citrasco chairperson, Ryan Benjamin Yu, told Cebu Daily News in a phone interview yesterday that the new EO will crackdown on motorists who do not comply with traffic rules and regulations.

“Well, once and for all, mabadlong na gyud ang mga nag pabadlong. Mawagtang na ang danger sa kadalanan nato (those who violate will finally be apprehended. Our roads will no longer be dangerous),” said Yu.

He also urged their member-drivers to always observe traffic rules.

“Kaning anti-counterflowing nga order, daan naman na nga balaod (This anti-counterflowing order, it’s an exisiting law). Simply follow traffic rules for your safety as well as for everyone in the road,” Yu added.

Edited by Woolf