Woolf

City to impound vehicles, motorbikes that counterflow

Woolf

SunStar

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2018/01/24/city-impound-vehicles-motorbikes-counterflow-585411

City to impound vehicles, motorbikes that counterflow

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

EFFECTIVE today, Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña has ordered the impounding of all vehicles, including motorcycles caught counter-flowing. In an interview with SunStar Cebu, Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) Operations Chief Francisco Ouano confirmed that Osmeña called him to give the directive. The mayor is currently in Manila to attend the committee hearing of the Committee on Transportation of the House of Representatives regarding the move to regulate motorcycle-for-hires, commonly known as habal-habal. Ouano said that although the existing Traffic Code of the city only impose a fine of P500 for those who will be caught counter-flowing, Osmeña will draft an executive order (EO) authorizing CCTO to impound vehicles. All type of vehicles including the private ones will be impounded for 30 days. While there is no EO yet, Ouano said they can already start the impounding of vehicles that will counterflow by the virtue of the police power of the mayor to promote public welfare. Ouano said the move of the mayor seeks to lessen the accidents and impose discipline among all motorists. (Razel V. Cuizon/SunStar Cebu)

Edited by Woolf

Wrye83
3 minutes ago, Wrye83 said:

I think I hear the Philippine government singing a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jenWdylTtzs

You'd think of all people I would know how to embed a freakin' YouTube video on a forum.....:huh: but nooope. 

Maybe this? 

• Like 1

Headshot

I encountered vehicles counter-flowing just this afternoon (and I'm not talking about motorbikes that are ALWAYS counter-flowing). It would be nice if everybody who is doing this would get their vehicles impounded. It will certainly take a lot of advantage away from those riding motorbike, who now just ride around traffic whenever they encounter congestion. Of course, when they do that, they are causing even more congestion for the other vehicles on the road. Let's see if they really follow through with this. I will be surprised if they really do. Motorbike riders and jeepney drivers are the most common offenders for this, but there are others who think of themselves as more important than other who also do it.

• Like 2

Alfred E. Neuman

Drove earlier this afternoon, nothing changed, chicken game with mostly motorcycles.

• Like 1

Semper paratus

Now there's a law we need over here in Dumaguete. Not that it would be enforced but it might get someone attention. Taking the counter-flowing motor scooters off the road would eliminate 80% of them here. I can't count the number of times I have turned a corner and bingo there is a motor coming right at me in my lane. Boggles my mind. And to top it off they either give me a funny duh look like I did something wrong or they get that shit eating grin on their face. LOL I doubt this will ever change in most of our lifetimes unless some big shot mayor , governor, or someone like that has a kid or close relative killed. Oh well. We  have always driven that way. In 8 years here I have only seen one ticket written to someone and that was a parking ticket. I have "never" seen anyone pulled over for anything. Not counting an occasional road check thing they put on for show. 

Jim_in_Jax

I'm disappointed that they didn't use this opportunity to include another dangerous thing these motorcycles do which is traveling in the same lane next to other vehicles (other than another motorcycle) even if it isn't counter-flow.  One thing they do that pisses me off to no end is be on my left while making a left turn then when there's an obstacle like a median wall or something, they have to punch it to jump in front of you at the last second so they don't hit the obstacle or get squeezed out.  They expect you to leave space in your lane or even move right to let them through.  Very hard to do when many times there is another frickin motorcycle on your right squeezed between you and another vehicle in the next lane.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

lamoe

At least you guys are in a car - try having them coming up behind you  on a sidewalk

• Like 2

Woolf

Cebu Daily News

12:26 AM January 26th, 2018

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/161597/no-fines-no-storage-fees-just-impound-vehicles-30-days

No fines, no storage fees, just impound vehicles for 30 days

EO on Counterflow

Cebu City Councilor Raymond Garcia is proposing an amendment to the traffic code, increasing the penalty for counter-flowing from P500 to P2,000.

This after Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña announced that he will issue an executive order (EO) directing traffic enforcers in the city to impound all vehicles, including motorcycles caught counterflowing in the streets.

The mayor said he was not interested in the fines or the money that the city can get from traffic violations.

“I will study it. I’m not interested in fines. No fines. I will just keep their vehicles for 30 days. No storage fee. Free storage,” the mayor said during his press conference yesterday.

Councilor Garcia however said although the mayor’s EO is sufficient to implement a 30-day impoundment of counterflowing vehicles, there is also a need to increase the penalties for traffic violations.

“If the motorists will just follow traffic rules, it would greatly improve the traffic situation here in the city,” he told the reporters during the Kapihan sa mga Konsehal yesterday.

During last week’s council session, Councilor Joel Garganera filed an ordinance for the codification of the existing traffic ordinance in the city.

“My suggestion is to increase all the penalties for all violations. We will amend the particular traffic code after ma-codify ni Councilor Joel ang tanang traffic codes,” Garcia said.

Fair warning

The mayor is set to issue next week the EO allowing the Cebu City Traffic Office (CCTO) to impound vehicles that are counter-flowing.

Yesterday the CCTO caught an armored car counter-flowing. It was however not impounded as there was still no EO.

“Let this be a warning to all armored cars. I’ll cancel their business permit,” Osmeña said.

Until the EO is ready, he said this week will be a warning stage for all drivers.

Motorcycles of drivers who will also use the sidewalks instead of the streets will be impounded.

Garcia said CCTO currently has 278 traffic enforcers which he said is insufficient to man the streets given the number of motorists who violate traffic rules.

He said he will suggest to the council to increase the number of traffic enforcers to 500.

Happy

Among the motorists who welcomed the mayor’s proposed EO is Luke Ivern Cartilla, a resident of Barangay Guadalupe, who travels to school daily.

“Usa gyud sa advantages kay iwas disgrasya, kay ang uban mu counterflow toud pero kusog kaayu magpadagan. Mao na’y usa ka rason ngano daghan ma disrasya,” he told Cebu Daily News.

(It would be a great advantage as it will prevent accidents. Many vehicles that counterflow also speed. That is one of the reasons for vehicular accidents).

Cartilla said this will discipline drivers who seem to ignore basic traffic rules.

• Like 1

Dafey
2 hours ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

I'm disappointed that they didn't use this opportunity to include another dangerous thing these motorcycles do which is traveling in the same lane next to other vehicles (other than another motorcycle) even if it isn't counter-flow.  One thing they do that pisses me off to no end is be on my left while making a left turn then when there's an obstacle like a median wall or something, they have to punch it to jump in front of you at the last second so they don't hit the obstacle or get squeezed out.  They expect you to leave space in your lane or even move right to let them through.  Very hard to do when many times there is another frickin motorcycle on your right squeezed between you and another vehicle in the next lane.

Agreed, however, I ride a bike and the cars don't give me a full lane, they just assume that I will pull over to make room for them. The problem is not motorcycles or SUVs or Jeepneys...the problem is the rules are not enforced. If the rules were enforced and people lost their vehicle to impounding, their friends and neighbors would start following the rules. It only takes a few to get the word out. 

Give them a chance to enforce this new directive and then they can move to the next rule.

• Like 1

Woolf
2 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Give them a chance to enforce this new directive and then they can move to the next rule.

from my post above

Yesterday the CCTO caught an armored car counter-flowing. It was however not impounded as there was still no EO.

“Let this be a warning to all armored cars. I’ll cancel their business permit,” Osmeña said.

Until the EO is ready, he said this week will be a warning stage for all drivers.

Headshot

I will be very surprised if this actually gets enforced. Traffic enforcers here do nothing other than causing traffic congestion by directing traffic at intersections, rather than allowing traffic signals to do their job. They are so busy denying the right of way to those who have it, they simply won't have time to actually enforce laws. About the only times I've seen enforcers actually giving tickets is when drivers ignore their bad directions.

In addition, this still doesn't solve the same problem throughout the Cebu metro area. It will take an enforced law throughout the metro area to actually make a dent in the problem. Mayor Tommy seems to be prone to knee-jerk reactions that get publicity but do little to actually address problems.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

tonny

OK how they going to impound your car? Drive it too the impound lot ? Tow it? issue a ticket and have you drive it there.And while the 8 cars overflowing  they will just sit there and wait to be given there ticket or wait for the tow truck will that cause a bigger traffic problem than the overflowing? Did any one think of these things? Also what about the truck with ice cream and the company has only one truck,boy some one need to think first before they jump

• Thanks 2

to_dave007
5 minutes ago, tonny said:

OK how they going to impound your car? Drive it too the impound lot ? Tow it? issue a ticket and have you drive it there.And while the 8 cars overflowing  they will just sit there and wait to be given there ticket or wait for the tow truck will that cause a bigger traffic problem than the overflowing? Did any one think of these things? Also what about the truck with ice cream and the company has only one truck,boy some one need to think first before they jump

exactly correct.. this idea of impounding vehicles works well in the province..  where they can just park them by road until a truck picks them all up.. but in city how can you do that and not create even worse traffic nightmare.

A_Simple_Man
44 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Traffic enforcers here do nothing

I once had a traffic enforcer drive by my on the sidewalk while I was walking on it in Cebu.  They are as bad as the people they attempt to control.

Instead of picking one law and enforcing it, just educate the police and traffic enforcers of ALL the laws and have them enforce all of them.

Of course they cannot catch everyone, no police force can, but they can write enough tickets and impound enough vehicles to pay their salaries and put respect back in the minds of the motoring public.  And not just filipinos.  Many foreigners are way to quick to adapt and follow the same lack of respect for law that the filipinos have.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1