liquido

USB Flash Drive Problem

DeedleNuts
On 1/22/2018 at 9:27 PM, liquido said:

Do not leave it plugged to the computer for prolonged period of time. If you do not use it, just unplug it from your computer."

I've had PCs that booted from a USB drive, wasn't an issue for years of use. How much they get written to is probably a bigger deal.

Richard K

I had this problem with my Kindle not being recognized on my desk-top..which is bad because I have over 8000 books stored on a separate HD (along with movies,music..pictures..etc)
I ended up flashing my MB and getting some updates for it... it worked..it is also way faster now..

cookie47
All I can say is YOUR THE MAN....It worked...I placed the USB drive in the freezer like you said in a ziplock bag for about 6 hours..I then took it out and promptly put the drive into my laptop..Right away it started blinking and all the files popped up on the screen..I immediately transferred them to my laptop..The USB drive finally crapped out in about 10 mins,plenty of time...Unfrickin believeable.....Thanks Again  
Have seen this done on car radios "legally"
Buy a second hand radio from a wrecking yard.Code not known.
Put radio in freezer, radio "forgets code"

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

musicman666

This freezer technique might work in certain parts of the world but here in Cebu if you put any metallic object in a freezer in a ziplock bag then the moment you expose it to the air it’s covered in a layer of moisture ....electronics plus moisture is a very bad combination.

cookie47
This freezer technique might work in certain parts of the world but here in Cebu if you put any metallic object in a freezer in a ziplock bag then the moment you expose it to the air it’s covered in a layer of moisture ....electronics plus moisture is a very bad combination.
Whilst I will agree with you musicman666 100%, I will convey this little story out of interest.

I went through Cyclone Tracy in Darwin Christmas 1974.

Hundreds of TVs and stereo systems got a right old soaking..(the ones that didn't blow away)

We laid them in the sun for around 48 hours @ 34 degrees and to our surprise they mostly fired up.I'm not suggesting that they weren't damaged long term, however
I new one TV that was going 7 years later

Again this is only a story and not recommended..

I've definitely seen radios recovered but sometimes the LCD screen dies as the crystals don't like that amount of cold.

• Like 1

lopburi3

Actually water is an insulator - it, by itself, is not conductive.  But the dirty air of Cebu might make it an issue.

• Like 1

musicman666
10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually water is an insulator - it, by itself, is not conductive.  But the dirty air of Cebu might make it an issue.

Ok ...I’m learning ..if pure water which is what you get from cold surfaces in humid air then you should be good to go. Air quality has little to do with what comes from distillation ....it should leave the pollutants behind.

cookie47

I'm learning also. Glade you mentioned that water was not a good conductor.
I was puzzled and went investigating, Wikipedia has some interesting articles.I understand the first and last paragraph. But the calculation haha

From Wikipedia....

Pure water is not a good conductor of electricity. Ordinary distilled water in equilibrium with carbon dioxide of the air has a conductivity of about 10 x 10-6 W-1*m-1 (20 dS/m). Because the electrical current is transported by the ions in solution, the conductivity increases as the concentration of ions increases.

DeedleNuts
5 hours ago, musicman666 said:

Ok ...I’m learning ..if pure water which is what you get from cold surfaces in humid air then you should be good to go. Air quality has little to do with what comes from distillation ....it should leave the pollutants behind.

Only if the surface it's condensing on is spotless and the air has no dust; in other words, pretty much never.