liquido

USB Flash Drive Problem

liquido

For some reason my Flash drive is not recognizable.All 3 USB ports are working on my laptop because other devices are able to work..I even tryed it in my tablet USB port but still not recognizing it..Its a 32gb Scandisk, that I have had for a couple years..I did have a habit of always leaving it plugged in if that made a differance..I do have some data on it that I would like to get back ...Is there a last ditch remedy that I could try before I smash it? Never had one crap out like this.....

Mikala

Did you try going to Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, Computer Management and then Disk Management to see if it's recognized there? I've had problems with USB drives before that I had to reconfigure using the tools contained therein. :)

• Like 1

liquido

Yes I have tryed that also with no luck recognizing it there...I do have another USB flash drive that works fine so I know its not my laptop or tablet..I really did not know that they can burnout or whatever..

Edited by liquido

liquido
18 minutes ago, Woolf said:

life expectancy usb flash drives

http://www.flashbay.com/blog/usb-life-expectancy

"Also, you should “Eject” the drive (Do a right click on the USB drive and select “Eject”) before removing it from your computer.

Do not leave it plugged to the computer for prolonged period of time. If you do not use it, just unplug it from your computer."

Im Guilty...

• Like 1

musicman666

Quite a rare occurrence ....I have accumulated a lot of drives in various forms over the years ...generally treated them badly and never had one go down ...I wish I could say the same for hard drives which I nurse like babies and for no reason they just disappear on me ...

rep1

tried other computers?

flash drive, like SSD, is certain to die after some amounts of writes. Non-recoverable, everything would be lost.

It's usually a good idea to backup important data in traditional HDD, which would give you lots of warnings before final death.

musicman666
31 minutes ago, rep1 said:

tried other computers?

flash drive, like SSD, is certain to die after some amounts of writes. Non-recoverable, everything would be lost.

It's usually a good idea to backup important data in traditional HDD, which would give you lots of warnings before final death.

No ...hard drives can fail instantly as well...this much I know..a physical head crash can not only fail but trash the disk in the process....no storage is immune from immediate failure.

but having your data in two places at least is common sense.

Edited by musicman666
  • Thanks 1

rep1
43 minutes ago, musicman666 said:

No ...hard drives can fail instantly as well...this much I know..a physical head crash can not only fail but trash the disk in the process....no storage is immune from immediate failure.

but only if you hit it hard?

thebob

Last ditch attempt is to freeze it. Sometimes a trace gets cracked. Put it in a ziplock bag to keep it dry, put in the freezer, or a bowl of salted ice. Remove from bag and try immediately to recover data. Good luck.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

broden
1 hour ago, thebob said:

Last ditch attempt is to freeze it. Sometimes a trace gets cracked. Put it in a ziplock bag to keep it dry, put in the freezer, or a bowl of salted ice. Remove from bag and try immediately to recover data. Good luck.

seen this work first hand

• Like 3

musicman666
8 hours ago, rep1 said:

but only if you hit it hard?

Not necessarily ...could be something like a power spike or a sudden power cut or maybe a build up of heat ...and sometimes they just fail for no apparent reason.

• Thanks 1

M.C.A.

I have one USB stick that has to be moved around in and out or side ways before it's recognized.

lamoe
43 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

I have one USB stick that has to be moved around in and out or side ways before it's recognized.

Check pin plate for dirt and if bent down (away from contacts)

• Thanks 1

liquido
10 hours ago, thebob said:

All I can say is YOUR THE MAN....It worked...I placed the USB drive in the freezer like you said in a ziplock bag for about 6 hours..I then took it out and promptly put the drive into my laptop..Right away it started blinking and all the files popped up on the screen..I immediately transferred them to my laptop..The USB drive finally crapped out in about 10 mins,plenty of time...Unfrickin believeable.....Thanks Again  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1