• Commercial Banner Advertisers

SkyMan

Dashboard navigation

SkyMan

For dash navigation systems, there needs to be some internet connection, right?  At least for some of the search functions or whatever.  How is this achieved?  Do you have sim in your dash and you pay for some internet plan?  Or does it connect through your phone?

Woolf

Maps are loaded to the navigation device

here is one not needing internet access after maps loaded, android app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en

it is free when using openstreetmap

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 3

Salty Dog
8 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

For dash navigation systems, there needs to be some internet connection, right?  At least for some of the search functions or whatever.  How is this achieved?  Do you have sim in your dash and you pay for some internet plan?  Or does it connect through your phone?

Total independent.

However newer systems can access the internet via your phone's bluetooth. They have hands-free calling and live traffic information to built-in Wi-Fi and more.

• Like 2

Edwin

This doesn't answer your question but fewer people are purchasing cars with built-in navigation systems because they can use Apple Car Play or Android Auto apps that hook up your phones navigation system to your car's display. 

• Like 2

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

Total independent.

However newer systems can access the internet via your phone's bluetooth. They have hands-free calling and live traffic information to built-in Wi-Fi and more.

Yeah, I guess hands free calling or txting (at least receive) would be useful.  Also I think Waze is becoming more popular here.

I'm looking to get an android type dash display/stereo maybe with Karaoki for longer trips.  

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

here is one not needing internet access after maps loaded, android app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en

it is free when using openstreetmap

I have this on my phone and used it on the trip down from Manila and it did ok as long as I didn't change the route somewhere I didn't have internet.  Then it would say "Route not found" over and over.

Edited by SkyMan

Woolf

It does NOT need internet after map has been loaded, the map info for philippines is ONE set of files

I do not know how long ago it is that you made that trip, openstreetmaps are update very very often

Edited by Woolf

Woolf

the android device need to be able to "see" the nav sats, often when indoors the signal from the sats are tooo weak

this app is good to test the nav sat receive quality gps test and gps status

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en

• Like 2

Highlighter
4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

For dash navigation systems, there needs to be some internet connection, right?

A true navigator will use a GPS receiver. The newer systems installed in vehicles use Apple Car Play or Android auto for which you need a phone connected via Bluetooth to the on-board screen.

For the majority, the newer systems will work adequately, if you plan on venturing outside a phone signal area you may have issues.  

I did have on my motorcycle a Garmin Montana 650 and I also carry a Samsung S6. Mapping for the more remote area are not updated on a regular basis, which can be fun at times.

• Like 2

SkyMan
On 1/23/2018 at 12:35 PM, Woolf said:

It does NOT need internet after map has been loaded, the map info for philippines is ONE set of files

I do not know how long ago it is that you made that trip, openstreetmaps are update very very often

This was in November and I've only had the phone since last May.  And I did have GPS turned on.

On 1/23/2018 at 3:34 PM, Highlighter said:

A true navigator will use a GPS receiver. The newer systems installed in vehicles use Apple Car Play or Android auto for which you need a phone connected via Bluetooth to the on-board screen.

I'll be looking for an Android dash system when I can.  I'm wondering if there are any that can take a SIM to have internet directly rather than connecting the phone since my phone doesn't have internet.  I'd like to be able to use Waze and maybe search for a location.

Dafey
11 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I'd like to be able to use Waze and maybe search for a location.

My Waze works on my phone even without a load. I don't think I have all the bells and whistles but try turning your cell off and see if you still connect. May be cheaper than buying a dedicated unit

colemanlee

wife has Waze on her phone and I have a garman and the system that came with the car...we have compared them and her phone is way better than either one of them...the Waze updates automatically, the car system and the Garman do not ...go with the phone...if you want a larger display, use a tab

• Like 3

Dafey
18 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

if you want a larger display, use a tab

Good idea and you can get a sim card if needed

• Like 2

cookie47

Try Android "Here we Go free from the App store

Having just lived on a cattle station in Western Australia which doesn't have mobile signal, I've tested practically all of the free GPS apps (Android phone) and tablet..... .Had to drive to town to download. I've just fired it up in Singapore to do a test before posting this info and without doing anything it found our street. Its not as bells and whistles as others. Just select south east Asia maps.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cookie47

Further to that a tablet on a dash mount is the way to go.Some of the early factory "in dash" Gps units were a pain and expensive to update, however i think that had improved with motor manufacturers using Android..Most late model phones and Tablets have a dedicated in built GPS, so no phone connection required.If fact i still have a Cherry tablet from SM that hasn't miss a beat..

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1