• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Ross56

Looking to rent - any advice appreciated

Ross56

Hi guys, moving to Cebu at the end of February, looking to spend at least a year there , longer if it works out. Budget is very limited.

I've been scanning the internet looking for rentals but is this really the best way to find somewhere? Is physically walking around an area a viable way to find something or is this a fantasy?

How hard is it to find an apartment to rent? Is there much availability at 15000 pesos a month and below?

My current plan is to book a budget hotel for a month and use that time to try to find a rental property but is this a realistic timescale? I've found a very small single room at uncle Tom's cabin for less than 1000 pesos a night but if anyone knows of any alternatives?

Thanks for reading - hopefully the first of many posts - and hopefully no forum rules broken 

smokey

Look at a site called RENTPAD. Cebu

• Like 1

Alfred E. Neuman

I would suggest monthly rate on hotels for your first two months so you won‘t be bothered with utility bills, maintenance etc.. while looking for the best longterm place on the ground.

• Like 5

Dafey

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the Forum!

29 minutes ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

I would suggest monthly rate on hotels for your first two months

Never been in Uncle Tom's cabin but it is in a good location. Give us a report on it when you've been there a bit. I would stay the 1st month there and look for where you want to be for the 2nd month as you should take your time shopping for rental.

You should be able to find something for 15,000 that is nice. Everything depends on how high on the hog you want to live.

Check out if any rentals have the wifi/internet/cable included. If not you'll have to make plans on a portable type solution. Cebu City has a good fiber optic network now but PLDT asks 2 years commitment.

OLX is also a good site to look around and get a feel of the area. combine that with Google Earth and you'll have a good knowledge of the layout of the city before you get here.

• Like 2

musingloudly

I have a close friend who has a semi furnished condo in a good location for 22k. 

• Like 1

max111
6 hours ago, Ross56 said:

Hi guys, moving to Cebu at the end of February, looking to spend at least a year there , longer if it works out. Budget is very limited.

I've been scanning the internet looking for rentals but is this really the best way to find somewhere? Is physically walking around an area a viable way to find something or is this a fantasy?

How hard is it to find an apartment to rent? Is there much availability at 15000 pesos a month and below?

My current plan is to book a budget hotel for a month and use that time to try to find a rental property but is this a realistic timescale? I've found a very small single room at uncle Tom's cabin for less than 1000 pesos a night but if anyone knows of any alternatives?

Thanks for reading - hopefully the first of many posts - and hopefully no forum rules broken 

http://www.grandapartelle.com/

this is a budget hotel (where i have stayed) , but adding in costs for taxi,,,,

It's in walking distance to McDo and Metro on AC Fortuna.

Edited by max111
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jim Sibbick

This may or may not be of interest to you and I think I may have posted this here before.

I will retire at the end of the year. I have two options

- Live with current girlfriend on Leyte.

- Get rid of current girlfriend and live in Cebu City

I have made a VERY good deal with the owner of the Cebu Century Hotel to live there permanently in a family room. The family room is P1150 per night. Your rate by the month will be a maximum of P920 per night.

Cebu Century Hotel is on corner of Colon and Pelaez Streets Downtown.

I first stayed there at the beginning of May 1995 with my then fiance, now ex wife as we arranged stuff for our wedding. I used to live there permanently when I was a partner in a tourism business in Cebu City with Paul, previuos owner of the LINC forums. Last time I stayed there was 11 days at the end of August. So, I have been staying there off and on for 22 years. 

The family room is the size of a double garage and has 2 double beds, aircon, 32 inch cable TV with about 95 channels, fridge, private bathroom, direct dial telephone with free local telephone calls, free wifi. For some one staying permanently, they will run a cable for your laptop instead if you want. You can set up what configuration you like. i will get rid of a double bed and install a sala set (sofa set) and my own 60 inch TV.

The hotel has it's own cafe/restaurant on the 5th floor and offers room service until 10pm. 

The lobby operates 24/7

There is a bank next door with an ATM machine right next to the front door of the hotel. It is my emergency machine as it only dispenses P10,000 at a time. I usually use HSBC opposite Ayala mall and get P40,000 at a time.

Also at the front door is a purified water dispenser. It dispenses 300ml of water at a time for P1.  Use your own bottle. So, it works out at about P3.5 per litre.

There is a place offering massages with an entrance on Pelaez Street, a few doors up from the entrance to the hotel. I happily used them for a couple of years but I decided it was no longer my go to place for a massage. I now use the blind masseurs. There are blind masseurs in 138 mall, about 100 metres along Colon from the hotel. There are blind masseurs across the road in Colonnade Mall, that is who I now use. They charge P250 per hour for a reflexology massage. There are automated massage chairs in the Collonade Mall too. P10 for 3 minutes. Or P200 per hour. I can be happy with a 30 minute sit in an automated massage chair. 

I usually drink San Miguel Light. Light on carbs, not alchol. SML is 5 percent alcohol.  In Pelaez Street there are several expat bars bars with San Miguel Light selling for P45 a 330ml bottle. Although the Cebu Century Hotel will sell you a 330ml San Miguel Light for P39 through room service or in their cafe. Along Pelaez Street, you can get San Miguel Light ice cold from a freezer at a conveninece store 24/7,  about 100 metres from the front door of the hotel. I Can't remember the new name now but that store will put out a table and chairs for you to drink at and watch the world go by. So if it is 3am and you feel like a beer, just pop along to the convenience store. The other places along Pelaez Street I like to drink at are Our Place Bar, Magic Tony's and Sesame. All selling SML for P45. Sesame is also known as Lina Foodhaus. The owner of Sesame is the same owner of the Our Place Bar. . 

There used to be quite a number of bikini bars in the area but there are just a few now. 

You can eat food at multiple locations nearby. There is a Filipino restauarant straight across the road called Patay Gutom (death of hunger). A Filipino size meal costs about P45. I buy a double meal and am as full as a fat girls sock for P90. All day farmers breakfast in the Our Place bar one block from Cebu Century is P200. Breakfast from room service is P110. Other meals are cheap from room service too.

I will walk to and from pier 1. The walk is a bit over 10 minutes. Pier 1 is where you catch OceanJet or Supercat to Tagbilaran Bohol or to Ormoc City on leyte. In fine weather, I will also walk to and from Ayala Mall and to and from SM Mall. It takes me about 35 minutes to walk to either mall.

Here is some other information about the area.

Colon is the oldest street in the Philippines. It is named after Christopher Columbus. It runs from Sikatatuna Street for a bit over a kilometre until it becomes C. Padilla

Along Colon, you will find
- Several small malls such as 138 mall and Colonnade Mall. Colonnade mall has a good money changer and is my go to place for SIM cards and load. It is also my go to place for boat and plane tickets. I use Jude ticketing on the second level.
- Multiple supermarkets. There are 4 supermarkets within 100 metres of the hotel. The cheapest supermarket in Cebu City is Colonnade Supermarket on the opposite side of the road to the hotel. It has about 50 checkouts at 4 entrances. It closes at 8pm though. Gaisano has a small supermarket in the Cebu Century hotel complex with 3 standard checkouts and a couple of express checkouts. It's entrance is at the corner of Colon and Pelaez. It is open 24/7. It is slightly more expensive than Colonnade but way cheaper than the 7/11 convenience store across the road.
- A 711 convenience store
- Several large department stores. One being Gaisano Metro. It is 7 storeys high with a large food court on the top level
- Several internet cafés
- Cebu Business Hotel
- Cheap cinemas across the road in Colonnade Mall
- Dentists
- Optometrists
- Doctors
- Attorneys
- Hairdressers and Beauty Parlours
- Numerous pharmacies
- Access to a couple of universities such as University of Visayas and University of Cebu
- Bingo halls
- Chess playing centre
- Computer stores
- Multitude of fast food restaurants such as McDonalds which is 24/7
- Multiple places for legitimate massage
- Stores selling cell phones, cell phone accessories, prepaid cell phone cards
- Stores selling pirate DVD's
- Numerous Banks with ATM machines
- Stalls where you can get your watch fixed or exchange your broken jewellery for cash
- Several money changers.
- Outlets selling ferry tickets
- touts offering ID in 10 minutes
- stalls making rubber stamps
and
- Taxis going past 24/7 

Near Colon you will find a multitude of historical sights/sights such as
- Heritage of Cebu
- Manual Yap ancestral house
- Casa Gorordo museum
- Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral
- Sto Nino Basilica
- Magellan's Cross
- Fort San Pedro

Also located not far away from Colon is the historic Carbon Markets, A multitude of pensionne houses and hotels. A multitude of other shopping, about 5 more universities and colleges, a multitude of other restaurant and dining options and the large E Mall with the Cebu South Bus terminal nearly next to E Mall.

At night on Pelaez Street, opposite the hotel,  food vendors set up along the road, where cars drive in the daytime,  They sell Balut,tempura, fried chicken, rice, noodles, soup, boiled chicken eggs, corn on the cob and more. Pelaez Street ends at Colon. The road from Colon down to the pier is Legaspi Street. On many nights of the year, the road from Colon along Legaspi street for one block is closed off and used as an open air market selling clothes, shoes and knick knacks. 

Here is the website
http://www.cebucenturyhotel.com/rates.html

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

baby43

Ty Jim for this valuable information , this is the reason I joined this site, as i said in another post the other day this site has got away from when i first came her to much other crap, I come Cebu often i learnt places and that did not exit thank you again Jim, I be there in 2 weeks time so will visit some of those places.

• Like 2

throttleplate
1 hour ago, Jim Sibbick said:

This may or may not be of interest to you and I think I may have posted this here before.

I will retire at the end of the year. I have two options

- Live with current girlfriend on Leyte.

- Get rid of current girlfriend and live in Cebu City

I have made a VERY good deal with the owner of the Cebu Century Hotel to live there permanently in a family room. The family room is P1150 per night. Your rate by the month will be a maximum of P920 per night.

Cebu Century Hotel is on corner of Colon and Pelaez Streets Downtown.

I first stayed there at the beginning of May 1995 with my then fiance, now ex wife as we arranged stuff for our wedding. I used to live there permanently when I was a partner in a tourism business in Cebu City with Paul, previuos owner of the LINC forums. Last time I stayed there was 11 days at the end of August. So, I have been staying there off and on for 22 years. 

The family room is the size of a double garage and has 2 double beds, aircon, 32 inch cable TV with about 95 channels, fridge, private bathroom, direct dial telephone with free local telephone calls, free wifi. For some one staying permanently, they will run a cable for your laptop instead if you want. You can set up what configuration you like. i will get rid of a double bed and install a sala set (sofa set) and my own 60 inch TV.

The hotel has it's own cafe/restaurant on the 5th floor and offers room service until 10pm. 

The lobby operates 24/7

There is a bank next door with an ATM machine right next to the front door of the hotel. It is my emergency machine as it only dispenses P10,000 at a time. I usually use HSBC opposite Ayala mall and get P40,000 at a time.

Also at the front door is a purified water dispenser. It dispenses 300ml of water at a time for P1.  Use your own bottle. So, it works out at about P3.5 per litre.

There is a place offering massages with an entrance on Pelaez Street, a few doors up from the entrance to the hotel. I happily used them for a couple of years but I decided it was no longer my go to place for a massage. I now use the blind masseurs. There are blind masseurs in 138 mall, about 100 metres along Colon from the hotel. There are blind masseurs across the road in Colonnade Mall, that is who I now use. They charge P250 per hour for a reflexology massage. There are automated massage chairs in the Collonade Mall too. P10 for 3 minutes. Or P200 per hour. I can be happy with a 30 minute sit in an automated massage chair. 

I usually drink San Miguel Light. Light on carbs, not alchol. SML is 5 percent alcohol.  In Pelaez Street there are several expat bars bars with San Miguel Light selling for P45 a 330ml bottle. Although the Cebu Century Hotel will sell you a 330ml San Miguel Light for P39 through room service or in their cafe. Along Pelaez Street, you can get San Miguel Light ice cold from a freezer at a conveninece store 24/7,  about 100 metres from the front door of the hotel. I Can't remember the new name now but that store will put out a table and chairs for you to drink at and watch the world go by. So if it is 3am and you feel like a beer, just pop along to the convenience store. The other places along Pelaez Street I like to drink at are Our Place Bar, Magic Tony's and Sesame. All selling SML for P45. Sesame is also known as Lina Foodhaus. The owner of Sesame is the same owner of the Our Place Bar. . 

There used to be quite a number of bikini bars in the area but there are just a few now. 

You can eat food at multiple locations nearby. There is a Filipino restauarant straight across the road called Patay Gutom (death of hunger). A Filipino size meal costs about P45. I buy a double meal and am as full as a fat girls sock for P90. All day farmers breakfast in the Our Place bar one block from Cebu Century is P200. Breakfast from room service is P110. Other meals are cheap from room service too.

I will walk to and from pier 1. The walk is a bit over 10 minutes. Pier 1 is where you catch OceanJet or Supercat to Tagbilaran Bohol or to Ormoc City on leyte. In fine weather, I will also walk to and from Ayala Mall and to and from SM Mall. It takes me about 35 minutes to walk to either mall.

Here is some other information about the area.

Colon is the oldest street in the Philippines. It is named after Christopher Columbus. It runs from Sikatatuna Street for a bit over a kilometre until it becomes C. Padilla

Along Colon, you will find
- Several small malls such as 138 mall and Colonnade Mall. Colonnade mall has a good money changer and is my go to place for SIM cards and load. It is also my go to place for boat and plane tickets. I use Jude ticketing on the second level.
- Multiple supermarkets. There are 4 supermarkets within 100 metres of the hotel. The cheapest supermarket in Cebu City is Colonnade Supermarket on the opposite side of the road to the hotel. It has about 50 checkouts at 4 entrances. It closes at 8pm though. Gaisano has a small supermarket in the Cebu Century hotel complex with 3 standard checkouts and a couple of express checkouts. It's entrance is at the corner of Colon and Pelaez. It is open 24/7. It is slightly more expensive than Colonnade but way cheaper than the 7/11 convenience store across the road.
- A 711 convenience store
- Several large department stores. One being Gaisano Metro. It is 7 storeys high with a large food court on the top level
- Several internet cafés
- Cebu Business Hotel
- Cheap cinemas across the road in Colonnade Mall
- Dentists
- Optometrists
- Doctors
- Attorneys
- Hairdressers and Beauty Parlours
- Numerous pharmacies
- Access to a couple of universities such as University of Visayas and University of Cebu
- Bingo halls
- Chess playing centre
- Computer stores
- Multitude of fast food restaurants such as McDonalds which is 24/7
- Multiple places for legitimate massage
- Stores selling cell phones, cell phone accessories, prepaid cell phone cards
- Stores selling pirate DVD's
- Numerous Banks with ATM machines
- Stalls where you can get your watch fixed or exchange your broken jewellery for cash
- Several money changers.
- Outlets selling ferry tickets
- touts offering ID in 10 minutes
- stalls making rubber stamps
and
- Taxis going past 24/7 

Near Colon you will find a multitude of historical sights/sights such as
- Heritage of Cebu
- Manual Yap ancestral house
- Casa Gorordo museum
- Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral
- Sto Nino Basilica
- Magellan's Cross
- Fort San Pedro

Also located not far away from Colon is the historic Carbon Markets, A multitude of pensionne houses and hotels. A multitude of other shopping, about 5 more universities and colleges, a multitude of other restaurant and dining options and the large E Mall with the Cebu South Bus terminal nearly next to E Mall.

At night on Pelaez Street, opposite the hotel,  food vendors set up along the road, where cars drive in the daytime,  They sell Balut,tempura, fried chicken, rice, noodles, soup, boiled chicken eggs, corn on the cob and more. Pelaez Street ends at Colon. The road from Colon down to the pier is Legaspi Street. On many nights of the year, the road from Colon along Legaspi street for one block is closed off and used as an open air market selling clothes, shoes and knick knacks. 

Here is the website
http://www.cebucenturyhotel.com/rates.html

I live in a hotel for almost 6 years now and love it. I also live in a familly room and took out a bed, bought my own full size refridgertor and big screen tv. I am 1 block away from robinson and same for the wet market, i am 3 blocks from the center of downtown. My total bill which includes free cable and wifi in my room, massive generator never a brownout, i pay the electric and water but including that its costs me 12000php a month.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

jtmwatchbiz
41 minutes ago, throttleplate said:

I am 1 block away from robinson and same for the wet market, i am 3 blocks from the center of downtown. My total bill which includes free cable and wifi in my room, massive generator never a brownout, i pay the electric and water but including that its costs me 12000php a month.

now THAT's cheap.  you may wish to let readers know more about that place and if they have any available rentals.  the location is great.  .

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Like 2

Jim Sibbick
47 minutes ago, throttleplate said:

I live in a hotel for almost 6 years now and love it. I also live in a familly room and took out a bed, bought my own full size refridgertor and big screen tv. I am 1 block away from robinson and same for the wet market, i am 3 blocks from the center of downtown. My total bill which includes free cable and wifi in my room, massive generator never a brownout, i pay the electric and water but including that its costs me 12000php a month.

That sounds like a good deal too!

• Like 1

Semper paratus

Always haggle the price. As a foreigner all they see at first is dollar signs $$$. Cebu and Dumaguete/Valencia/Dauin/Bacong, Sibulan, are loaded with foreigners paying way too much. Our landlady recently let one guy move in with no security deposit and she even paid to have his Internet hook up installed.  The guy has had 5 bypasses she says and he still smokes. I see a bill for having him hauled off to the crematory in her future. This just happened to her about 3 months ago in a house next door to that one. Another guy with a sob story croaked, owed her rent and she had to have him hauled away. She says there are 3 bodies she knows of at that crematorium just wrapped in blankets waiting for money to come in so they can be cremated. I have a bad feeling she is going to learn another lesson. It's nice she can have a big heart but it's not much of a way to run a business. She owns at least 12 houses I know of. Well, I was just thinking, maybe she makes money by selling off their possessions after they croak ? But the one she had hauled off already to the crematorium was sleeping on the floor so I wonder what she got to sell off. Maybe a computer. maybe even a motorbike. I'll have to ask her. Anyhow. Haggle, bargain the price. Too many foreigners are paying way too much.  

the.lone.gunman

I usually take a hotel for a month at a time for a reduced rate, usually 30 - 35 k. Hassle free and i have all the utilities, no hook up hassles or delays. 

M.C.A.

Same price quoted on these forums I paid in the US for a mini apartment with heat and electricity paid, istn't this supposed to be the Philippines, who pays that much for rent?  Are you serious.

If your paying more than 4,000 pesos for a rental your nutz.

Edited by M.C.A.
  • Haha 2

Davaoeno
6 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

Same price quoted on these forums I paid in the US for a mini apartment with head and electricity paid, istn't this supposed to be the Philippines, who pays that much for rent?  Are you serious.

If your paying more than 4,000 pesos for a rental your nutz.

Rather than calling people names it would be appreciated if you just post a list of comparable places in Cebu available for 4000

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1