• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Dafey

9 things they didn't tell me about the Philippines

colemanlee
17 minutes ago, Dafey said:

a while to understand I can accurately predict the weather, (they think it's VooDoo),

Indeed...but after a few years of doing it, my wife gets texts when they are worried about the weather..."ask Kuya if its going to be ok"

• Haha 3

Semper paratus

Maintenance here is  "crisis maintenance". Or "if it isn't broke, don't fix it until". 

After 8 years I still get a kick out the store clerks checking a light bulb to be sure it works before you pay for it. Returning something is almost unheard of. Buyer beware. 

• Like 4

Alfred E. Neuman
9 hours ago, colemanlee said:

Indeed...but after a few years of doing it, my wife gets texts when they are worried about the weather..."ask Kuya if its going to be ok"

"Looks like heavy rainfall, my knees are acting up..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

lamoe
28 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

Maintenance here is  "crisis maintenance". Or "if it isn't broke, don't fix it until". 

After 8 years I still get a kick out the store clerks checking a light bulb to be sure it works before you pay for it. Returning something is almost unheard of. Buyer beware. 

Always try on ALL clothes even if same brand / size - I'm a 33" waist - Large fit fine -  but 1 pair only went up to XXXL and all were too small.

To eliminate the spoon - fork /plastic bag on hand  thing  - bring my own knife / fork / spoon  also spices and Soy Sauce w/ Thai Peppers 

20 minutes ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

"Looks like heavy rainfall, my knees are acting up..."

When mine do that it means heavy snow - we're all in trouble if they do

Edited by lamoe (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Jawny

10.  Don’t forget, the vehicle behind has the right of way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

lamoe
1 minute ago, Jawny said:

11. Sidewalks are NOT meant for people - they are the extra lane for  car / motorcycle parking and in rush hour even driving on.

• Like 2

Headshot
31 minutes ago, Jawny said:

There is no "right of way" in the Philippines. The person who had the last opportunity to avoid an accident, but didn't, is at fault.

• Like 2

Cgu

But mostly and most important - with the right attitude - The Philippines is more fun!!!!

• Like 1

Jawny

11.  The one in front wins.

• Like 3

max111
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

7)  Filipinos do not understand sarcasm

It might as well said LinC members do not understand sarcasm  (me included)

• Like 2

Cebuandrew

Great post Dafey. Wish it was up when I moved here. Stuff one cannot find researching it all. To expand on your #2 item: To a local, there is a difference between a "meal" and a "snack." Example? Give a local a fully loaded cheeseburger and fries. This is a snack. Open it all up, spread it around the plate and put a small cup of rice on it. And that is a meal. Just blew me away when I learned that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RogerDuMond

The largest vehicle has the right of way.

• Like 2

neptune

It was difficult for me to adjust to a lot of things coming from Thailand and Cambodia, I guess Cambodia helped with the aggressive begging and shit like that.  But the hardest stuff for me is finding the best food, best places to eat.  Finding an apartment that has cooking facilities at a reasonable monthly rate with good wifi and good security.  I like the Philippines a lot, but there is some things as a foreigner that I prefer for my own comforts.  So the adjustment involved some difficulties. 

I quite like it now, I like the vibe, I like the people.  It's alright.

• Like 3

cvgtpc1
7 hours ago, colemanlee said:

If the text is before they're leaving to visit me I'd say shits going to hit the fan, stay home lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 3