• Commercial Banner Advertisers

targetlock

Looking for Info on Private Schools in Cebu

Headshot
4 hours ago, smokey said:

I am anti private school I had two in ???  both learned rules don't apply to the rich your kids are young wait till high school

That is definitely NOT true of Ateneo. It is run by the Jesuits, and they have very strict rules. Nobody is exempt. As I understand it, your kids went to CIE?

Headshot
7 hours ago, targetlock said:

Headshot 

thank you for the recommendation. That sounds like a nice school the Chinese language would be a added benefit my oldest would be in the second grade by the time we are ready to make the move.  The transportation would not be a problem. I am not the biggest fan of my houses location but my wife found the location as it is close to here relatives.  Since the house is already paid for I want to stay there for a while. I would love to get a little more info from u if that would be possible.

You should know (if you don't already), that the school year is NOT the same here as in the US. It runs from June to March, with April, May and parts of March and June off for vacation. There is a rumor that the Philippine school year will slowly slide to be in-line with the school year in the West, but that will likely take a few years to accomplish (if it happens at all).

samatm
On 1/16/2018 at 12:27 PM, Headshot said:

Mactan does not have the easiest access to the really good private schools in the Cebu metro area. That is a fact. So, if you want your children to go to a really good school, you may want to reconsider where you live. Hiring a tutor is one possibility, but if you send your children to a really good school, there is no need for that.

The absolutely best private school that isn't an international school is SHS Ateneo de Cebu (run by Jesuits who fled China in the late 40's and early 50's) in Canduman Mandaue, and it is 60k to 85k pesos a year (depending on the year in school). Because of the China connection, Chinese is taught at all grade levels. All classes (other than language classes) are taught in English. My daughter goes to Ateneo, and I can tell you that she is learning things in 1st grade that I didn't learn until 3rd or 4th grade in the US. In fact, she is learning things that I never learned (such as three languages other than English ... Chinese, Filipino and Bisaya). It is a big school with full facilities. Students get a very well-rounded education. We are very happy with the school.

I believe that CIS and CIE are the only two international schools with actual international accreditation, and both of them are well over 200k pesos a year. CIS is in Talamban and CIE is in Mandaue near the Rain Forest. Neither of these are easy access from Mactan. CIS has a large campus with what appears to be full facilities. I don't know about CIE. There are other small international schools here in the Cebu metro area, but I don't know their rates. One of them, Royal Oaks Academy, has a campus on UN Avenue, which is close to the new bridge to Mactan, but I really couldn't tell you how good it is. The Singapore School is in Mandaue near the dock area, but I don't really know much about it either, other than it has very small classes. There are still other small international schools, but they are even further from Mactan.

I don't really recommend small schools here, as they have very little to offer other than classes (and, to me, school should be more than that). Be careful that you don't fall into the entertainment school trap. By that, I mean that some schools spent more time on practicing for song and dance presentations than on academics. ALL schools here spend some time on that (it is part of Filipino culture), but you should look carefully at how much time they devote to it.

This should at least give you a place to start.

Wish you had written that 9 years ago HS..... before we fell into the Mactan trap.  lol      Things much better now we are on Cebu side.  

• Like 1

delancey
On 1/16/2018 at 12:27 PM, Headshot said:

Mactan does not have the easiest access to the really good private schools in the Cebu metro area. That is a fact. So, if you want your children to go to a really good school, you may want to reconsider where you live. Hiring a tutor is one possibility, but if you send your children to a really good school, there is no need for that.

The absolutely best private school that isn't an international school is SHS Ateneo de Cebu (run by Jesuits who fled China in the late 40's and early 50's) in Canduman Mandaue, and it is 60k to 85k pesos a year (depending on the year in school). Because of the China connection, Chinese is taught at all grade levels. All classes (other than language classes) are taught in English. My daughter goes to Ateneo, and I can tell you that she is learning things in 1st grade that I didn't learn until 3rd or 4th grade in the US. In fact, she is learning things that I never learned (such as three languages other than English ... Chinese, Filipino and Bisaya). It is a big school with full facilities. Students get a very well-rounded education. We are very happy with the school.

I believe that CIS and CIE are the only two international schools with actual international accreditation, and both of them are well over 200k pesos a year. CIS is in Talamban and CIE is in Mandaue near the Rain Forest. Neither of these are easy access from Mactan. CIS has a large campus with what appears to be full facilities. I don't know about CIE. There are other small international schools here in the Cebu metro area, but I don't know their rates. One of them, Royal Oaks Academy, has a campus on UN Avenue, which is close to the new bridge to Mactan, but I really couldn't tell you how good it is. The Singapore School is in Mandaue near the dock area, but I don't really know much about it either, other than it has very small classes. There are still other small international schools, but they are even further from Mactan.

I don't really recommend small schools here, as they have very little to offer other than classes (and, to me, school should be more than that). Be careful that you don't fall into the entertainment school trap. By that, I mean that some schools spent more time on practicing for song and dance presentations than on academics. ALL schools here spend some time on that (it is part of Filipino culture), but you should look carefully at how much time they devote to it.

This should at least give you a place to start.

Thank you for this.

Headshot
22 minutes ago, delancey said:

Thank you for this.

You're welcome.