targetlock

Looking for Info on Private Schools in Cebu

targetlock

I am going to be moving my family to Cebu next year. My wife is already a dual citizen as well as our kids. We already have a house that we built on Mactan. I brought the mother in law and father in law to the U.S. to try to help the kids get use to some of the culture.  My question is how are the private schools in the area and does anyone have a estimate on costs associated with them.  My children are young at the moment my oldest is only 5.  

smokey

Budget killer is schools 

• Like 1

targetlock

I have a decent budget I am waiting to move there to get a couple more of my rental homes paid for.  I also have a high rating with the va so I have a nice pension. I am only 43 but want my kids to know both countries I just want to make sure things are lined up before arriving. My budget should be easier from the standpoint my house there is paid for just have to do a little to the inside to customize it.  Any suggestions on private schools would be appreciated so I can start planning before I get there.

Thalcoozyo

Man, this is a task that is (I feel) far more difficult than what you likely realize. My short story to explain what I mean:

Cebu Doctors University, well know for its quality medical programs, was decided upon for the niece. So she's into her 2nd or 3rd year and has a "practical" course at the hospital that doesn't end until late at night (23:30-ish). She and her classmates come back to the locked school gate only to be told "oh, it's after hours so you cannot enter." I shit you not! So she and her classmates have to hangout at the nearby McDonalds (24/7) all night long after class, for the remainder of the semester, until they can get back into the school property at 06:00 the next morning. I know this for a fact; this is not a made-up story. And, yes, the administration was made aware of the issue: "it's always been this way, sir."

So, for you... "what is good?" is a question that has many, many components. The price does not guarantee "good." To be able to adequately evaluate a school from afar is likely not possible. You need to be there, visit, speak with administrators and students and students' parents. Sure, you can whittle down the list, from afar, to a few that you want to consider. But IMHO you should not make any decision until you are in country and able to visit the school personally. If you are unaware, the "standardization" and "qualifications" that we have for schools in the U.S. is non-existent in the Philippines.

targetlock

That is a issue that I have an idea for. My plan is to higher a teacher privately to give lessons after school. My wife was a teacher there also so she can help with some of it. I know that I will have to supliment a lot of the education there especially when it comes to USA history. I feel I can teach a lot of this to the children I have a decent education backgound. We would go for visits to the USA regularly as we would keep a functional house here also. My goal is to make my children comfortable in both countries. I am open to any and all advise from individuals who have dealt with this issue. Again thank you to everyone who offers advise.

• Like 1

samatm

A lot depends on your location in Mactan..and how much  commute time you want to invest.     

For lil tots.. look into Nissi Academy,    Regent pacific college, and Benthel Asia Academy.    My kids have attended all three.     Basically... Education here SUCKs ...so its wise to complement iwth Online instruction.  Amazing what Khan Academy does.     I pulled my kid out school in the 9th grade as it was waste of time.. hand he as been homeschooled since.   and Aced the GED .. so now he is ready for College.  Without putting up with the BS of Crappy Schools here.    Good luck.  

• Thanks 1

Jawny

There are a lot of threads on this topic in the archives.  It usually generates a lot of response.

I live in Leyte, so I can’t be of direct assistance.  However, the distinction of private versus public may not have as much meaning as you are accustomed to.  Private means you pay, public means you pay less.  There are always some costs, but public is significantly less.  

Quality of education here sucks, in general.  Even the private schools will have to meet some mandated standards which are not what you’d think.  There is an overseeing agency here, DEPED, which sets these standards. They are not particularly high standards.

I've had three children all attend private school.  In fact, the private school is associated with a university as a "laboratory" school.  Be aware, that basically means the teachers work for the university, not the school, per se.  So, the role of the principal is less useful, as teachers will often attend their own classes, go to seminars and such leaving the students to work by themselves.

Some public schools can be well equipped with the government and some donors providing materials such as computers and such.  Private schools may not be as well equipped as you’d expect.

The suggestion of using online resources as well as computer apps is an excellent idea.  Start young.  Get the kids accustomed to using the apps and the online process.  We live in an area where the internet is quite bad, so I didn’t get that started until it was basically too late.  My kids never fully adapted to this method of learning.

Dont be surprised if textbooks are optional.  Many, many teachers use Wikipedia as their guide and even bring their college class power point presentations to use as resource material.  It’s also common to simply demand the students go t9 the nearby print shop and get the notes printed...a small kickback for the teacher from the shop.

Teaching country specific subjects may become a challenge.

Dont be discouraged by the tone of my comments.  My children are all fine, I just avoid the term "well educated". Not particularly accurate.  Even so, learning the necessary fundamentals can be done and my children are fine. One is now attending college.

For the record, one child attended CDU and used the McDonald’s as their gathering place, as well as the nearby mall and sometimes the condo.  The CDU as well as others operate their schools as a business.  Hence, 9-5 is the norm and no open campus. 

• Like 1

targetlock

Thank you to all who have posted to give me some things to think about.

• Like 1

Headshot

Mactan does not have the easiest access to the really good private schools in the Cebu metro area. That is a fact. So, if you want your children to go to a really good school, you may want to reconsider where you live. Hiring a tutor is one possibility, but if you send your children to a really good school, there is no need for that.

The absolutely best private school that isn't an international school is SHS Ateneo de Cebu (run by Jesuits who fled China in the late 40's and early 50's) in Canduman Mandaue, and it is 60k to 85k pesos a year (depending on the year in school). Because of the China connection, Chinese is taught at all grade levels. All classes (other than language classes) are taught in English. My daughter goes to Ateneo, and I can tell you that she is learning things in 1st grade that I didn't learn until 3rd or 4th grade in the US. In fact, she is learning things that I never learned (such as three languages other than English ... Chinese, Filipino and Bisaya). It is a big school with full facilities. Students get a very well-rounded education. We are very happy with the school.

I believe that CIS and CIE are the only two international schools with actual international accreditation, and both of them are well over 200k pesos a year. CIS is in Talamban and CIE is in Mandaue near the Rain Forest. Neither of these are easy access from Mactan. CIS has a large campus with what appears to be full facilities. I don't know about CIE. There are other small international schools here in the Cebu metro area, but I don't know their rates. One of them, Royal Oaks Academy, has a campus on UN Avenue, which is close to the new bridge to Mactan, but I really couldn't tell you how good it is. The Singapore School is in Mandaue near the dock area, but I don't really know much about it either, other than it has very small classes. There are still other small international schools, but they are even further from Mactan.

I don't really recommend small schools here, as they have very little to offer other than classes (and, to me, school should be more than that). Be careful that you don't fall into the entertainment school trap. By that, I mean that some schools spent more time on practicing for song and dance presentations than on academics. ALL schools here spend some time on that (it is part of Filipino culture), but you should look carefully at how much time they devote to it.

This should at least give you a place to start.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

RogerDat

My nephew who is now a doctor, went to Marie  Ernestine School. It is on Mactan. http://www.marieernestineschool.com.ph/

Headshot
6 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

My nephew who is now a doctor, went to Marie  Ernestine School. It is on Mactan. http://www.marieernestineschool.com.ph/

And many people attended public schools and dragged themselves up by the boot straps to get where they are today. Both I and my wife did that. There is no doubt that, if a person has the drive to succeed on their own, they can attend even the worst schools (and I am NOT saying the school you suggested is one of those), but children who attend the best schools will always have an advantage over those who do not (simply because they are exposed to a better education). Then again, a student with self-motivation will always out-perform those with no self-motivation. So, if a student attends better schools AND has learned how to self-motivate from their parents will be hard to beat.

In the first grade, my daughter has done multi-column addition and subtraction, multiplication, division, story problems, English grammar, and many other subject we never saw until the third or fourth grade. She is learning many other things that we never saw at all in school (like Mandarin Chinese). We have to study with her almost every evening, so she is able to master the topics she is getting. And they tell me that the pace accelerates in the second and third grades. I can hardly wait. to see what she learns in later years.

I have always been critical of the average educational system in the Philippines, but clearly her school does NOT provide an average education. There are huge differences between what various schools provide children here, and it certainly pays parents to be aware of those differences BEFORE they put their children in any given school.

Salty Dog

This thread is about Private Schools.

Let's keep it focused please.

Two post hidden.

• Thanks 1

targetlock

Headshot 

thank you for the recommendation. That sounds like a nice school the Chinese language would be a added benefit my oldest would be in the second grade by the time we are ready to make the move.  The transportation would not be a problem. I am not the biggest fan of my houses location but my wife found the location as it is close to here relatives.  Since the house is already paid for I want to stay there for a while. I would love to get a little more info from u if that would be possible.

• Like 2

smokey

I am anti private school I had two in ???  both learned rules don't apply to the rich your kids are young wait till high school

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

Headshot
7 hours ago, targetlock said:

Headshot 

thank you for the recommendation. That sounds like a nice school the Chinese language would be a added benefit my oldest would be in the second grade by the time we are ready to make the move.  The transportation would not be a problem. I am not the biggest fan of my houses location but my wife found the location as it is close to here relatives.  Since the house is already paid for I want to stay there for a while. I would love to get a little more info from u if that would be possible.

That would be very possible. Just PM me.