Sea Route

Sun exposure

Sea Route

Hi guys, I wanted to share some health tip

Now everybody knows, that we should use sunscreen, especially people with light skin. What I did not know is that even when you do, there's still a chance to have strong sunburns. After 4 first days here besides usual red skin I've got a lot of light and dark brown spots on my hands, which now are headache for me (probably, will remove them by laser later). So be careful and don't spend too much time outside in the afternoon, and stay healthy)

If anybody knows other ways to get rid from at least light brown spots, it would be great to hear about them

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dafey

Hi Sea Route, and welcome to the Forum,

Sun Exposure is a great topic for this Forum, in particular. In the Philippines we do have our share of severe sun warnings, (when it's not raining).

There is also a difference between Sunblock and Sunscreen and many different rules/theories on how to best use them. My family is very fair skinned and have been using Sunblock at 50 SPF for a long time. Since moving to the Philippines I tend to stay covered with sun blocking clothes and hat but even that has a lot of down side to it.

I have no experience with the spot removal but there is a skin whitening salon on every corner here. You may find a low price treatment here. (But research it to make sure it's safe)

RogerDat

I got brown spots too. They are called age spots / freckles.

• Like 5

Dafey

When you get older they call them liver spots...often related to drinking in excess. I know that's not you Roger!

Also, the OP sounds like this happened within a few days...is that normal?

to_dave007

Bit of advice on the matter..  whether you want sun screen or sun block..  it may be hard to find in the province,, so buy it in city before you head anywhere remote.  Had that experience last year when cousin came..  not sure why.. but they seemed to think they could buy cool sunglasses, itsy bikini, and sun screen in small town Tuburan..  Sorry..  no stock.  Buy that stuff in the city.

• Like 1

Dafey

Very true Dave, the high end grocery stores stock good skin products and travelers should stock up before heading to remote locations. 

Jess Bartone

Great advice but I will say this... where I live is under the ozone hole so if you get burnt here it can be pretty severe with blisters and peeling not to mention the pain, however I noticed when I got burnt in the Philippines it tended to tan not peel.

• Like 2

SkyMan

Most of the time when I'm outside I wear a hat.  I also keep a TShirt in my truck in case I need to go into some fancy shmancy place that requires it like a mall or the BI.

• Like 1

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, Jess Bartone said:

however I noticed when I got burnt in the Philippines it tended to tan not peel.

It's funny, I almost never wear a shirt here and I'm outside working a lot.  Then I go on a Caribbean cruise and sit an hour or 2 in a hot tub and burn like all get out. Maybe the sun is darker on this side of the planet.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Haha 1

Jess Bartone

That's weird because the Caribbean is near the equator too and should be similar to Phils. I live in South Gippsland

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/South+Gippsland,+VIC/@-38.6975478,145.5065811,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b2a30e181048841:0x2cc51b3a1c24bee4!8m2!3d-38.5884838!4d146.1142253

RR3
22 minutes ago, Jess Bartone said:

Great advice but I will say this... where I live is under the ozone hole so if you get burnt here it can be pretty severe with blisters and peeling not to mention the pain, however I noticed when I got burnt in the Philippines it tended to tan not peel.

No more ozone hole my friend. Now scientists say it is a natural phenomena  that comes and goes. Next to go is man made global warming :cool:

Never used sun screen/block 'cause hate these sticky things. I never lie in direct sun middle of day and wear protecting clothes to cover my white skin and blue eyes. Best place at the beach is under the hibiscus tree. When hibiscus flowers start raining down in afternoon, its time for the first beer :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

Sea Route

Thanks for the advice y'all, I'll try to find hibiscus tree next time) And will look for good skin whitening salons

Like Jess I also got more tan, than peeling, and this tan is darker, than ever before.

Also sunscreen and soothing lotion after sun are really harder to find in remote areas and prices are higher. 

• Thanks 1

rizla
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

It's funny, I almost never wear a shirt here and I'm outside working a lot.  Then I go on a Caribbean cruise and sit an hour or 2 in a hot tub and burn like all get out. Maybe the sun is darker on this side of the planet.

You may find that is more down to wind burn, rather than sun burn, I rarely use any sunscreen in Argao, never burn, but in the summer went on a one day cruise up the coast of Italy, and almost ended up in hospital. Hazy day but that wind is unforgiving.

RR3
11 minutes ago, rizla said:

You may find that is more down to wind burn, rather than sun burn, I rarely use any sunscreen in Argao, never burn, but in the summer went on a one day cruise up the coast of Italy, and almost ended up in hospital. Hazy day but that wind is unforgiving.

Hmm... Wind never carry sun rays. Maybe the reflection of sun from the shining blue Mare Nostrum...

ahoy53

Thats why ,when am in the philippines ,I stay in dimly lit bars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1