• Commercial Banner Advertisers

lokias

Denny's at Robinson Galleria

colemanlee

Tell him you know somebody that ate that stuff, drank and smoked...and they outlived their father and grandfather and are still going strong

Kabisay-an gid
On 2/4/2018 at 10:44 PM, Headshot said:

Smokey is in Arizona. Do you really think that would be relevant to the Denny's in Robinson Galleria?

If your reading comprehension was better, you'd realize that:

1. Several posters in this thread have mentioned their experiences with Denny's in the USA, including Smokey.

2. The Denny's at Robinsons Galleria isn't even open for business yet, so I certainly wouldn't be asking anybody how good the food and service is.

And if your USA geography knowledge was better, you'd know Palm Springs is in southern California, not Arizona.

:rofl: :ROFLMAO:

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Headshot
9 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

If your reading comprehension was better, you'd realize that:

1. Several posters in this thread have mentioned their experiences with Denny's in the USA, including Smokey.

2. The Denny's at Robinsons Galleria isn't even open for business yet, so I certainly wouldn't be asking anybody how good the food and service is.

And if your USA geography knowledge was better, you'd know Palm Springs is in southern California, not Arizona.

It is possible to be funny without being insulting to others.

Smokey didn't mention that he was in Palm Springs until after I said he was in Arizona. He and his wife have spent a lot of time in Arizona, so it was a natural mistake to think that is where he is.

However, I did miss the fact that Denny's is not yet open in the OP, so thank you for reminding me of that. It would have been good if you would have just mentioned that again without the other sarcasm.

• Like 1

lucky138

when I was in Dallas we had 2 Dennys within a couple of miles from one of our properties.  We soon discovered that the one near all the strip clubs was not nearly as good (did not have to be) as the one near the more industrial area. I used  to love the lumberjack breakfast.  Then a waffle house went in and put a hurt on both of them particularly after the bars closed.  I always chose Dennys over that high priced IHOP  where there OJ was near 3.00 usd for a small glass.

• Like 1

delancey
On 1/30/2018 at 1:13 AM, Flakes said:

America is world famous for their haute cuisine the opening of Denny's at Galleria is just another example of that.

I sense a finely tuned hint of sarcasm.

• Haha 1

delancey

I kind of what to tell my tale of Liberace at Dennys. He was quite happy and gay. Tipped well.

lamoe
On 1/30/2018 at 1:13 AM, Flakes said:

America is world famous for their haute cuisine the opening of Denny's at Galleria is just another example of that.

As one who has enjoyed  haute cuisine in Germany, France, Switzerland, Canada AND the US I can say that those who criticize US cuisine have never had our true regional cooking.

A lot of  haute cuisine is smothered in sauce due to the  poor quality of meat they had to work with when the recipes were developed initially.

The South is a prime example. Not KFC, etc.  Real cooking as in rural S.C., GA, TN,   Louisiana and New Orleans in particular - some of the best I've ever had.

I didn't realize that other countries don't have fast food places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oz Jon
3 hours ago, lamoe said:

As one who has enjoyed  haute cuisine in Germany, France, Switzerland, Canada AND the US I can say that those who criticize US cuisine have never had our true regional cooking.

A lot of  haute cuisine is smothered in sauce due to the  poor quality of meat they had to work with when the recipes were developed initially.

The South is a prime example. Not KFC, etc.  Real cooking as in rural S.C., GA, TN,   Louisiana and New Orleans in particular - some of the best I've ever had.

I didn't realize that other countries don't have fast food places.

Well I'm a lover of respectably-priced fine food. Mainly French, Italian, Thai, Chinese, .... together with a good local beer or wine.

Much of the food on offer in the US isn't in that category - more the "all-you-can-eat" / "never mind the quality, feel the width" / "fast delivery" fare. Too much sugar, too much "factory-made" sauce, or simply, too much!

But, nobody has ever matched those superb "BBQ'd pork ribs" I ate in Texas nor the Cagun cooking I got in a memorable week-end in New Orleans - those are what I consider to be "US haute cuisine".

Edited by Oz Jon
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smokey
12 hours ago, lucky138 said:

when I was in Dallas we had 2 Dennys within a couple of miles from one of our properties.  We soon discovered that the one near all the strip clubs was not nearly as good (did not have to be) as the one near the more industrial area. I used  to love the lumberjack breakfast.  Then a waffle house went in and put a hurt on both of them particularly after the bars closed.  I always chose Dennys over that high priced IHOP  where there OJ was near 3.00 usd for a small glass.

In az it's Denny that charges more then I hop

Headshot
8 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

Well I'm a lover of respectably-priced fine food. Mainly French, Italian, Thai, Chinese, .... together with a good local beer or wine.

Much of the food on offer in the US isn't in that category - more the "all-you-can-eat" / "never mind the quality, feel the width" / "fast delivery" fare. Too much sugar, too much "factory-made" sauce, or simply, too much!

But, nobody has ever matched those superb "BBQ'd pork ribs" I ate in Texas nor the Cagun cooking I got in a memorable week-end in New Orleans - those are what I consider to be "US haute cuisine".

Oh dear. Texas is NOT known for their BBQ pork ribs. They are known for BBQ beef brisket. Missouri and Tennessee are known for BBQ pork ribs. Georgia is known for BBQ pulled pork. Every region in the US has its signature dishes that are NOT fast food. You just have to search a little to find them.

I will be in New Orleans and the Breaux Bridge/Lafayette areas of Louisiana right during the middle of crawfish (I think you Aussies call them yabbies) season, so I will gladly sample the Cajun cooking. It is one of my favorite regional foods. Crawfish boil, deep fried gator tail and deep fried bullfrog legs are pretty hard to beat. I'm going to make sure that I get my share of all of them.

• Like 1

lamoe
17 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haute_cuisine

"Haute cuisine (French: literally "high cooking", pronounced [ot kɥi.zin]) or Grande cuisine refers to the cuisine of "high level" establishments, gourmet restaurants and luxury hotels. Haute cuisine is characterized by meticulous preparation and careful presentation of food, at a high price level. "

Haute cuisine distinguished itself from regular French cuisine by what was cooked and served such as foods like tongue and caviar, by serving foods such as fruit out of season, by making it difficult and time consuming to cook, and by using exotic ingredients not typically found in France. [1]

I ate at one near Chicago  - 4 starts - server said "our Endive is flown in from Fraunce (his pronunciation) every day". BFW - it's same as lettuce - I can pick  REALLY fresh from my own garden. The flavors were outstanding no doubt about it  - so was the bill - portions so small we grabbed something to eat at 94th Aero Squadron afterward.

I prefer - not so pretentious

"In general, nouvelle cuisine puts an emphasis on natural flavours, so the freshest possible ingredients are used, preparation is simplified, heavy sauces are less common, as are strong marinades for meat, and cooking times are often reduced. "

8 hours ago, Headshot said:

Oh dear. Texas is NOT known for their BBQ pork ribs. They are known for BBQ beef brisket. Missouri and Tennessee are known for BBQ pork ribs. Georgia is known for BBQ pulled pork. Every region in the US has its signature dishes that are NOT fast food. You just have to search a little to find them.

I will be in New Orleans and the Breaux Bridge/Lafayette areas of Louisiana right during the middle of crawfish (I think you Aussies call them yabbies) season, so I will gladly sample the Cajun cooking. It is one of my favorite regional foods. Crawfish boil, deep fried gator tail and deep fried bullfrog legs are pretty hard to beat. I'm going to make sure that I get my share of all of them.

image.png.71d763cf41f2276b879cbfd9563cde80.png

• Like 1