• Commercial Banner Advertisers

fred42

Illegal Sand Castles

fred42

26195533_1589518894429518_23627025913915

"Promotional and/or special event issued with proper mayor's permit, however, may include sand-castle making as an activity, provided that it is declared in the permit and shall be conducted within the designated sand-castle making areas, with payment of proper sand-castle building regulatory fees."

Dafey

This is not new. When we were there the wife had to have a photo in front of the sand art. these kids made a beautiful Boracay with dolphins and mermaids...very detailed. I think we paid them 150 pesos and the kids took some outstanding photos for us. While we were posing the local authorities came up and talked to the other kids, who were visibly nervous. 

After we started to walk away I looked back and they were leveling the artwork. The local government wanted their cut and these kids would just quickly set up and hope for a customer or 2 before being shut down.

• Sad 1

SkyMan
27 minutes ago, Dafey said:

I think we paid them 150 pesos

"We received reports that some asked P50 per person," he added.

From reading the article I guess I can see it.  It probably was fine for a few kids to make a few pesos but then it probably morphed into a major industry.  In the above pic it looks like the guy destroying the sign was the one who made it and he's no kid.  If left unchecked there would be heavy equipment on the beach and teams of carvers.  Swarms of kids hounding tourists to get pictures taken with their castle.  Then fights breaking out over turf wars and tourists taking pics without paying.  Carvers would be adding toxic chemicals to the sand to make it stick longer and in more impossible shapes.  Nothing would stay an innocent sand castle.

Unfortunately, this means pulis out kicking kids castles down when they probably have better things to do with their time.  Another soln would be to post signs that picture taking of any kind on the beach is free and paying to pose in front of any object is illegal with a heavy fine but then who wants signs all over the beach.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

A_Simple_Man

Yeah, what the heck do those kids think they are doing making sand castles to make money.  They should be out selling drugs like the kids back home. :sarcasm:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

lamoe

From the article

"BTAC authorities also received complaint from Chinese tourists that they were forced to pay after they had their photograph taken at the beach, even if they were several meters away from the sand-castle.

There was also a complaint that they were victims of ‘salisi’ gangs. "While the complainant had his pictures taken at the sand-castle, he momentarily left his belongings. But his things went missing shortly later," Gesulga said.

There were also complaints of sand pollution due to kerosene or oil used in sand lanterns. There are around 10 sand art makers in the island."

Ask other tourists to take pics  - very common to pay if local kids do it - also not smart - they can run faster them most of us.

Stuff stolen -  Not smart but wanted "clean" pic not holding everything

Oil pollution -  Now this I can understand very readily

newtocebu

Our friend had her name carved into the sand in Boracay - she gave the kid 100p, he scoffed at it and said "the price is 300p!"

He started mumbling under is breath at her and I told him off (not in a mean spirited way) in Tagalog

He laughed and moved onto his next victim

• Like 2

Bama

Reminds me of the guys who dress up like the Statue of Liberty in Manhattan and encourage typically foreign tourists to take their pics. If the tourists doesn't tip or doesn't tip enough they will get an ass chewing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Member #1

This is a major news story in my Philippine news feed. I wonder how real it is though. 

Anyone on Boracay with us who can shed some light? 

I will reach out to a few mates of mine who live there and ask them what the score is. 

oztony

The kids there were aggressive with their requests for a "Donation" even if you walked past their castles back in 2003....

taiko
On 1/13/2018 at 3:36 AM, Bama said:

Reminds me of the guys who dress up like the Statue of Liberty in Manhattan and encourage typically foreign tourists to take their pics. If the tourists doesn't tip or doesn't tip enough they will get an ass chewing.

That's nothing on Hollywood Blvd people have been murdered by costumed movie superheroes for not tipping enough after taking a photo. 

Dafey
On 1/13/2018 at 7:55 PM, oztony said:

The kids there were aggressive with their requests for a "Donation" even if you walked past their castles back in 2003....

One of the things I don't like about Boracay is wading through all the Hawkers trying to sell you wares and tours. Even an even tempered guy like me wants to tell them to get out my face...I'm trying to watch the sunset.

• Like 1

Alfred E. Neuman

Back in 95‘,  that never was a problem. We simply had to avoid stepping on European nudists.

• Haha 1

colemanlee
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

One of the things I don't like about Boracay is wading through all the Hawkers trying to sell you wares and tours. Even an even tempered guy like me wants to tell them to get out my face...I'm trying to watch the sunset.

Thats why I always have the wifey along, I have no idea what she says but they fade away like mist in the morning...maybe its the full back tat and the knife:rofl:

Edited by colemanlee

Dafey

dilly lang, dilly lang, dilly lang

Lost

I was just in bora and my wife got in an argument with these guys for shaking down a Korean family for 500 pesos. They will take their phone and not give it back until they pay, really glad to see these thugs are getting shut down. But they are making tons of cash (probably 1000p in the 10 minutes I watched them at 1 castle), so I'm sure this is just the police negotiating for more bribes.