hoz

My Filipino wife and I (fil/am) have been together 30 years. In that time we have made several trips from the US to PI.  This is the first time we have been queried before being allowed to board our flights. 

The first time was in the US before boarding the Delta flight to Atlanta. The agent wanted to know why we didn't have visas. When I explained we didn't need them as we are issued Balikbayan stamps at entry she wanted proof of my wife being a natural born Filipino, even though that is printed on her US Passport. Next she wanted proof of our marriage. Lucky my wife brought both her PI birth certificate (in Spanish btw) and our marriage cert. 

We had no problem in Atlanta, maybe because "DOCS OK" was printed on our boarding passes. 

In Seoul again Korea Air wanted our bonafides before we were allowed to board and we presented them, but after a 15 hr flight our patience was running thin. 

Have other Balikbayan travelers experienced this?  What's up? 

Edited by hoz

Dafey

It's the flavor of the day...pot luck when we travel on BB. We generally carry all the information that is necessary, just in case. Probably one out of 5 trips they'll ask.

Did they ask for an outbound ticket from the Philippines?

hoz

That MIGHT have been a red flag as we are booked return with the same airlines, 6 months away. 

We have made several trips before without being hassled. Just lucky I guess. One time, before we were married, the agent gave me BB because I am 1/2 Filipino!

• Like 1

Mandingo

I just did the Seattle to Cebu on Asiana last month and nobody asked us anything which is the norm. I do keep a copy of every document we have on a cloud just in case someone does ever ask. Sounds like your wife had you covered and was prepared, she sounds like a keeper! . 

My only complaint was going through Customs in Seattle on my way back. I was with my 76 year mom, wife stayed for a couple extra weeks, and they gave me more crap than I ever have gotten. Wanted to know why, what. when, where with all the details. Was expecting a rubber hose to be pulled out towards the end :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1