• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Bama

Carrier AC question

Bama

I have a Carrier AC unit like the one pictured below. The base of the unit is what I might call a condensate pan---it collects water to be drained off. Its design is somewhat like pic #2---note that the outlet for the drain is mounted on the side of the pan. One can see that a half inch of water or so would have to fill the pan before it started to drain. In my case over time the standing water has starting to rust out the pan.I'm looking at manufacturing a replacement for the pan.

My question is this---does the drain have to be on the side of the pan ? Common sense suggests to me that it would work better if the drain was on the bottom of the pan.Does anyone know a reason why the drain couldn't be on the bottom? Please advise.

drain pan.jpg

carrier afbsm.jpg

Dafey

Hey Bama, I'm not an engineer but does the pan have room beneath it where it sits in the machine? If so, maybe you can have someone fabricate a replacement to your specs?

Headshot

This is a floor unit, right? Assuming the drain pan is just above the floor, how would you drain the pan through the bottom of the pan?

There is a Carrier service center just north of UN Avenue on the North Highway. I would suggest that you go in and talk with them before you start jury-rigging a solution.

Bama

The AC unit sits about a foot off the ground on a metal rack.

Should have mentioned that.

Headshot
3 minutes ago, Bama said:

The AC unit sits about a foot off the ground on a metal rack.

Should have mentioned that.

If there is nothing under it, then there are plenty of tin shops around that could easily make you a replacement pan with a bottom drain.

oztony

The reason it rusts or corrodes is the reaction of the water to the zinc or galv pan they have supplied , that coupled with not enough fall toward the drain outlet , 

Stainless is the only way to avoid rust or the reaction of distilled water (which is the condensate moisture off of the evaporator coil) to the drain , we just go stainless now because of the headache in replacing drain pans at a later date.

You could drain it from the centre , just get a cross break on the new pan , diagonal ..corner to corner and that will create the fall to dead centre of pan...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bama
2 minutes ago, oztony said:

we just go stainless now because of the headache in replacing drain pans at a later date.

To replace the pan would have to be a cut out,grind,weld type of operation the best that I can tell.Is the correct oztony ?

I was considering making a new pan and just lay on top of the original.Drain it from the bottom and run tubing to the outside.Any better ideas?