broden

Woman Returns Dead Christmas Tree to Costco on Jan. 4

broden

If you don’t need your Christmas tree after Dec. 25, you might be able to get a full refund.

A woman in Santa Clara, California was spotted returning a Christmas tree to Costco on Jan. 4. She returned the tree “because it [was] dead,” a shopper waiting in line behind her said according to The Sun, and got her money back.

“I can’t make this stuff up,” Scott Bentley, who took a photo in the refund line, wrote on Facebook.

Costco gave the woman her refund after questioning her, verifying the purchase on her Costco account and shaming her “to a small degree,” the other shopper said.

The refund attempt riled up people online who couldn’t believe someone would try to return their Christmas tree well into the new year.

“People like this are miserable. Seriously, how cheap can you be?” one commenter said.

But Costco — like Nordstrom and REI — is famous for its lenient return policy. The store will take back almost anything at nearly any time.

“Sister works for Costco, can confirm. People do this all the time. They will even demand a refund without bringing back the tree,” one commenter said.

On one Reddit thread, Costco employees recounted the weirdest returns they’d seen. Dead plants, old mattresses, empty wine bottles and personal photos have all been exchanged for refunds.

http://fortune.com/2018/01/11/woman-returns-dead-christmas-tree/

Edited by broden
  • Like 1

Jester

I had no desire to belong to Costco, but joined for 1 purchase or pay a large price penalty.  I kept the membership about 5 months to see if I would use it and then returned it for a full refund!

• Like 1

broden
13 minutes ago, Jester said:

I had no desire to belong to Costco, but joined for 1 purchase or pay a large price penalty.  I kept the membership about 5 months to see if I would use it and then returned it for a full refund!

i had what amounted to a free one year membership cause of a groupon deal my wife found.. we renewed for one year... but then let it expire.. the first year we went kind of often then we stopped..sams is closer to us and we get gas there ..

15 minutes ago, Jester said:

joined for 1 purchase or pay a large price penalty

how big was that Christmas tree?

Jester
3 minutes ago, broden said:

i had what amounted to a free one year membership cause of a groupon deal my wife found.. we renewed for one year... but then let it expire.. the first year we went kind of often then we stopped..sams is closer to us and we get gas there ..

how big was that Christmas tree?

4 meters,   a bitch to get back to the store on my scooter.

• Like 1

to_dave007
14 hours ago, Jester said:

Surely you jest....

Jawny

Read somewhere a fellow brought in a damaged condom.  He was told they could repair it or give him a new one, but since the new one was a better brand, there would be a small fee.  Repair was free.  The guy said he’d consider it.

Next day he returned and told them he spoken with the platoon and they like it repaired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SkyMan

I knew someone that worked returns at Penney's and people would return worn out jeans and shoes.

You would think they would make you sign a waiver when you buy a tree that you know it's dead and it's going to whither and dry out in a couple weeks, less if you don't put it in water.

Edited by SkyMan

to_dave007

Can't make up my mind who is more wrong..  the customer for making a foolish return.. or the retailer for accepting it and adding the cost to the shoulders of those who don't make such foolish returns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lamoe
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

Surely you jest....

Best not to jest in zest with the rest

Sam's had a policy - double money back on fruit / veggies if unsuitable - time limit

Bed Bath & Beyond - bought a rather expensive coffee maker for daughter X-mass -  it stopped after about 14 months - she never cleaned it out with vinegar -  went back to BB&B - was on after Xmass sale - out of stock - asked clerk when will be in - a few days -  the mgr heard  asked what happened - asked for daughter's address - sent her a new one at no charge - asked to have old one returned.

Yes not common but not that unusual for Rockford BB&B

Goetz1965

Why blame that woman ?

Its COSTCO TO BE STUPID - and this woman needs a HOORAY for making COSTCO pay for stupidity !!!

SkyMan

Why would someone like that even celebrate Christmas?

lamoe
1 minute ago, Goetz1965 said:

Why blame that woman ?

Its COSTCO TO BE STUPID - and this woman needs a HOORAY for making COSTCO pay for stupidity !!!

"HOORAY for making COSTCO pay for stupidity !!!"

Costco stupid?

They just pass the losses along to those who do pay - now who is stupid? same as those whose  system is scammed - IRS, welfare, Medicaid, ACA

Davaoeno
5 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

What has chopping down a tree and putting it in your house have to do with Christmas? 

• Like 1

Headshot
12 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

She probably takes all of the Christmas gifts she bought back for refunds after she gives them too.

"Mommy, did you see my new doll? It was on my bed when I went to school this morning."

"No sweetheart. Maybe she didn't like it here."

• Sad 1