• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Tullioz

Destitute Australian Dies in Cebu?

Tullioz

Anybody know anything more about this guy and his son? Sounds like a sad story. 

5a563a50bbdb9_homelessaustralian.thumb.jpg.4ec6bb2599e9eeb3624c3cc5d3752dfb.jpg

• Sad 1

Salty Dog

How about a link or something. This is too small for many of us to read...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Enuff

According to some that knew him and his daughter Zoey, he has been in basd shape and resistant to side for some time. 

https://www.facebook.com/jlneil1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/434275483334061/permalink/1609996012428663/

Edited by Enuff

Jsteam

Sad story! I wonder if he or someone on his behalf contacted the Australian embassy? And if there was any response? Not!

:rip:

• Like 1

Irenicus

Well, this is horrific.  

RIP.

• Like 2

soupeod

Is he dead or sleeping?

Headshot
54 minutes ago, soupeod said:

Is he dead or sleeping?

According to my wife (who follows stuff like this) in the picture he is sleeping. However, he died of untreated diabetes and his son is now being held by DSWD until relatives can pick him up. His illness killed him ... NOT starving to death. Sad anyway. I can't imagine the terror, loss, and uncertainty his son is going through right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ellenbrook2001

shit very sad 

Jess Bartone

I thought the kid was a daughter Zoey.

Rest easy old fella.

musicman666

Bloody hell...can’t get my head around this story ....saddest tale for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

AussieLex

I haven't been on this site for some time but as far as an update on this particular story ... John Neil was a hopeless drunk who lived in a shack on Mactan with his daughter... he used to send his daughter out begging so that he would have money for a little food and to buy more booze ... the wife disappeared years ago, she apparently is a drug addict and somewhat unstable ...

Over the past year many people have tried to help John including an expat from Barilli who took John and his daughter into their home so they wouldn't be destitute anymore... People were helping sort out the nightmare of getting the correct papers and trying to update his visa status so he and his daughter could return to Australia... John left the home of the expat under his own steam. taking his daughter back to Mactan and returned to his old ways ...

The latest update is below from the Australian Consular Warden in Cebu.

A true and correct update for you all regarding John Leonard neil (RIP) and his daughter Zoe

Johns 7 year old daughter Zoe (as per the picture) is currently staying with a loving and caring family who she and I knows well. John is resting in peace at a funeral home in Cebu

We are waiting for an email from the mother and family in Australia to advise what they wish to do when johns body

Johns Mum has requested and mentioned that she would like to get Zoe to Australia so she can look after her. Which is a much better life for her as against staying here in Cebu. 

Zoe is in good spirits and is very aware of what has happened, maybe it hasn’t quite sunken in yet, but she s doing well, all things considered 

FYI, the mother is filipino and is out of the picture for many years due to various reasons. I do have contact and speak to her brother regularly

That’s the update for u and ur members at present

There are many people that would like to assist Zoe for her future as John was homeless and penniless, johns Mum is a pensioner in Australia and the local family currently caring for her are not exactly well off also, but they have a decent house and are ok

At some point I would like to have a fundraiser for Zoe’s future

I will update u all as I receive any more news

Thanks

Chef Steve
Australian Consular Warden Cebu
[email protected]

Edited by AussieLex
adjust text colour
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Jess Bartone

There seems to be no question that Zoey is a citizen by descent, as long as John's name is on her birth certificate. I can't imagine the hell this kid's been through.

• Sad 1