cogon88

What is this obsession with momo in philippines and the need for closed windows?

cogon88
Posted (edited)

What is this obsession with momo in philippines and the need for closed windows?

Hi, I know several people who all close their windows tightly shut at night and gladly suffer the sauna like temperatures of their bedrooms that come with no ventilation. 

When asked why, they all say it's because of momo. People who are not really people, who will suck your energy or steal your baby (in case of pregnant or newborns). 

Can anyone here elaborate on what a momo is supposed to be?  
Is it a widely spread belief, also in big cities or just confined to certain provinces? 

Best Answer:  Momo or "aswang" which in English means witch. They proliferate in the rural areas like the barrios or far-flung places most especially where there is no electricity. It's a folk-lore but which prevails up to the present time. It is believed that when a witch is on his death bed, he will not die unless he passes on to someone in the family his "inheritance" whatever that is. It is said to be a stone or something taken out from his person and which he gives to one willing to receive it. And only then will the witch die.  

Anyway, the witch is said to transform into another form - be it a bird, a pig or a dog when it goes scouring for would-be victims which are usually pregnant women and newborn babies. They stalk their prey and without even touching them, these witches have some sort of evil power that they can inflict harm to the baby inside wombs. I am not sure how true it is but I have heard of tales where babies were stillborn or were born with no cradle caps. The mothers professed that it was the work of the witches. Some weird stories also say that witches have long tongues they can reach into the bellies of pregnant women while these women are sleeping and suck the fetuses out. 

Anyway, in these modern times you'd think witches have become extinct. Actually, they're not. They have even migrated to the big cities. In my own neighborhood, we have our share of nightly visitors often seen by the village guards on duty at night. Well, there are a lot of pregnant women here and if those stories of old are to be believed, those nightly creatures are visiting these women.

Edited by Salty Dog
Fixed Formating

Davaoeno

I don't understand why anyone would want to kidnap the babies - after all I heard 2 jeepney drivers talking and they said that all the babies are addicted to Benadryl  ! 

SkyMan
1 hour ago, cogon88 said:

I am not sure how true it is

Really?

• Haha 1

RogerDat

They are many here on Mactan.

Davaoeno

Someone phoned my wife and told her that they saw me with an 18 year old girl at the mall. I had to explain to her that it was really a moo moo that had assumed human form that was following me around and refused to leave me alone !

[ I don't remember much after that ! ]

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Jawny
36 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Someone phoned my wife and told her that they saw me with an 18 year old girl at the mall. I had to explain to her that it was really a moo moo that had assumed human form that was following me around and refused to leave me alone !

I have a BIL who has a wife who had a very strange experience with an aswang.  The way she explained it, and it might make some of you uncomfortable......the aswang was in a male form and had sex with her.  Likein a dream as she described. It must have been awful. She became pregnant fromthe experience. Nice little kid. 

• Haha 2

Headshot
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

It sounds like a good story to me...  :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

• Thanks 1

RangerUp
2 hours ago, RogerDat said:

They are many here on Mactan.

True, you can hear them in the 'mornight'. No, that's clearly not a rooster waking up and flapping its wings.

• Like 2

bounder

My significant other must also have a moo moo in her family.  She keeps talking about her witch tita.   Thank goodness we live quite a ways from them and our guard dog enjoys her moo moo midnight snacks.

• Like 1

musicman666

After I planted a few Banyans in the garden everyone around is accusing me of encouraging these guys ....apparently they love to hang out in these trees.

• Like 1

cogon88
Posted (edited)

Well it seems there be MOO MOO or a MOMO's or a SHABU O running free in Iloilo 

Iloilo City – A 22-year-old lad swore to high heavens an aswang attacked him early morning yesterday. He was thankful to have survived the assault.

Jeepoy Taberna, a household staff at the Fajardo Compound on Q. Abeto Street, Mandurriao district, was sleeping on his stomach at the second floor terrace of the Fajardo residence when something or someone landed on his back and started strangling him.

The attack woke him up, said Taberna, and he felt pain on his neck.

Whoever or whatever was strangling him had very sharp nails or claws and very strong in gripping his neck from behind, said Taberna.

It was around 4:30 a.m. and still dark. Taberna said he could not see his attacker’s face.

“Gulpi lang may nagsakay sa akon likod nga pwerte kapagros, madanlog ang lawas kag tuman kalaba sang kuko,” he told Panay News.

He tried to free himself from the tight grip of what he believed was an aswang. He struggled and put up a fight for some three minutes but it felt like an eternity, he said.

“Nagwalak-walak ako. Ginsiko-siko ko sia gani, tapos nagabatu mangod. Nagwa ako tapos pagdalagan ko ginhawiran ‘ya ako. Pero nakasinggit ako nga ‘aswang, aswang,’” said Taberna.

His cry for help appeared to have panicked the attacker as it released him and jumped from the terrace to the ground some 10 feet below.

Taberna was convinced his attacker had supernatural powers. After landing on the ground even from a considerable height, the so-called aswang appeared unhurt and quickly climbed over the high concrete fence of the compound and disappeared into the darkness.

Another household staff who got awakened by Taberna’s shouts for help claimed to have seen the aswang jumped over the fence to flee.

It was a man who had no shirt on and wearing only a pair of shorts, he said.

Taberna sustained scratches and bruises on the neck. He said these were caused by the aswang’s sharp nails.

He believed the aswang had long been intending to attack him.

“Antes pa matabo ang pag-atake sang aswang, makapila na ‘ko makabati sang tiktik pero wala ko lang ginsapaka kay abi ko pispis langi,” Taberna said.

http://www.panaynews.net/aswang-attacks-sleeping-man

Edited by Salty Dog
Added Link to Quoted Article
  • Haha 1

lamoe

Had a guest (one night only),  wouldn't let me open windows or patio door (they do have screens)  because of both MOMO and WakWak. About the only time I turned on AC.  Damn the VECO bill - was worth it.

She was a nurse :huh:

Jawny

A couple of years ago, we were awakened during the night by some drums and banging.  It was not too loud, but noticeable. The sound came from a hillside near our home.  In the morning we discovered the source.

A high school girl had been having seizures.  The family went to a healer who investigated and discovered there was a spirit nearby in the hillside (you saw that coming didn’t you?). The healer had them hire some high school boys who spent the night in the jungle and scared away the spirit.

Didnt work, but the epilepsy medication did the trick.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

SkyMan
12 hours ago, musicman666 said:

After I planted a few Banyans in the garden everyone around is accusing me of encouraging these guys ....apparently they love to hang out in these trees.

Those are Agta.  But if a banyan tree scares people away.....:good:

Edited by SkyMan