richard_ost

What do Cebuanos think of Manilans?

richard_ost

I've been travelling to the Philippines for several years, but only for the past 2 years I've visited Visays only a few times. Most of my trips before were in Northern Luzon (Baguio, La Union and Ilocos).

Not knowing about the mentality of people in Visays, feels to me that they don't care much about Tagalog or Luzon (Manila). Is that the case or what? What are the culture differences between people from Cebu and Manila? To me it seems that people here (Cebu City) have slightly slower pace in life than people in Metro Manila.

Also - not to get too political because this is not the correct subforum - people seem to like DU30 here a lot more, and seem to like also the current mayor. People I've talked with don't appreciate the last mayor before Osmeña. Is that the case?

Headshot

I doubt that Cebuanos think very much about people from Manila at all. As far as Duterte, there is more evidence of support here now than there was even during the election. I have no idea how that compares to attitudes in Manila, but I would suspect that people in Manila are more comfortable having one of their own in office. There is no doubt that Duterte is considered an outsider in Manila. On Osmena verses Rama in Cebu City, that battle will go on for years, I suspect. Both camps are fairly strong, but neither seems to be that much different as to what they actually do (or don't do). They just have different allies and different approaches to doing nothing. Government here is designed to impede rather than help citizens and other residents. I doubt that will ever change. If it does, then you will see less corruption, less complicated processes and better services provided to the people.

• Like 2

Jim Sibbick

When I tell Filipinos from Cebu that I am going to Manila, they tell me don't go. Manila is a dirty unsafe place. 

When I tell Filipinos from Manila that I am going to Cebu, they tell me don't go. Cebu is a dirty unsafe place. 

A lot of the culture is the same.

But there are many Cebuanos who don't want to speak Tagalog and some who can't speak Tagalog. Some people who can speak Tagalog don't want foreigners practicing their Tagalog on them and would rather you speak English.

There are just as many Cebuano Speakers as there are Tagalog speakers in the Philippines and there has long been a resentment that the capitol in Manila is trying to force their language on the rest of the Philippines. I have had many Cebuanos in the past tell me they think the national language should be Cebuano.  

By the way, in August, I met up with a married Filipino couple whose wedding I attended in, I think,  2006. She from Leyte, he from Northern Luzon. Neither of them have Tagalog as their first language. They were complaining to me that even after 10 years of marriage they have trouble understanding each other in Tagalog and mostly speak to each other in English.

I am not understanding your comment about peace. I am more at peace in Cebu than in Manila.

• Like 1

BossHog

Might be an outlier here but Manila is the place to go for food and entertainment and so on.

Cebu is just some half-glorified shit-hole that I avoid at at all costs. It's really a train-wreck of a city.

Manila for the win; you can get a lot done there. If you can't have fun in Manila then you don't know how to have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

richard_ost
15 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

When I tell Filipinos from Cebu that I am going to Manila, they tell me don't go. Manila is a dirty unsafe place. 

When I tell Filipinos from Manila that I am going to Cebu, they tell me don't go. Cebu is a dirty unsafe place. 

A lot of the culture is the same.

But there are many Cebuanos who don't want to speak Tagalog and some who can't speak Tagalog. Some people who can speak Tagalog don't want foreigners practicing their Tagalog on them and would rather you speak English.

There are just as many Cebuano Speakers as there are Tagalog speakers in the Philippines and there has long been a resentment that the capitol in Manila is trying to force their language on the rest of the Philippines. I have had many Cebuanos in the past tell me they think the national language should be Cebuano.  

By the way, in August, I met up with a married Filipino couple whose wedding I attended in, I think,  2006. She from Leyte, he from Northern Luzon. Neither of them have Tagalog as their first language. They were complaining to me that even after 10 years of marriage they have trouble understanding each other in Tagalog and mostly speak to each other in English.

I am not understanding your comment about peace. I am more at peace in Cebu than in Manila.

My wife's second language is Tagalog and she and everybody from her province master it quite well because their native language has only very small number of speakers. They have no choice but to be able to learn/speak Tagalog, since they can't get by with their native town outside their small province and when they have to do business/stury/work in the Capitol.

She said, that some people here (in Cebu City) have had even rude reactions when she spoke Tagalog to them. Feels like there is strong resentment towards Tagalog and Manila among some people. Over 90% seem to be very laid back and polite, but small minority seems a bit rude against people from the North, when they think they are from Manila...

This seems to be global phenomenom everywhere. Even in my country people in the country side think that people from the bigger cities (specifically the Capital City) are rude and think they're better than themselves, when it's far from the truth. I can only speak from my country, but it seems that the people who think they're better than others are from tiny villages, who migrate to bigger cities and think they're special because they live in a big city. That behavior they demonstrate sometimes when they go back to visit their remote villages... Assholes are born in cities and in rural communities, shouldn't generalize..

• Like 1

Monsoon
On 1/5/2018 at 5:20 PM, richard_ost said:

Not knowing about the mentality of people in Visays, feels to me that they don't care much about Tagalog or Luzon (Manila). Is that the case or what? What are the culture differences between people from Cebu and Manila? To me it seems that people here (Cebu City) have slightly slower pace in life than people in Metro Manila.

Oh I dont know. Those who actually live and work with "Manilans" have them as their friends. I have many friends from all over the Philippines, nobody I associate with segregates themselves because of which province they come from. I guess only very simple minded people with no exposure to the 'outside world'  would do that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monsoon
1 hour ago, Jim Sibbick said:

I've never met a Filipino from "Manila" say that about Cebu. 

• Like 1

Headshot
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

I guess only very simple minded people with no exposure to the 'outside world'  would do that. 

I think that is probably true regardless of where they are from ... Cebu, Manila or anyplace else. Simple people in the Philippines tend to fear anything and anybody from outside of their own neighborhood.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Davaoeno
56 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Simple people in the Philippines tend to fear anything and anybody from outside of their own neighborhood.

And if its not someone else to blame its the moo moos and white ladies who are the cause of the problem ! 

smokey

When i go to robinsons they tell me sir dont go to sm.   But when i do go to sm they tell me sir dont go to ayala and when i go to ayala they say sir dont go to robinsons.well i figured out how to handle this cultural problem i went to arizona

• Like 3

JamesMusslewhite
On 1/6/2018 at 9:20 AM, richard_ost said:

I've been travelling to the Philippines for several years, but only for the past 2 years I've visited Visays only a few times. Most of my trips before were in Northern Luzon (Baguio, La Union and Ilocos).

Also - not to get too political because this is not the correct subforum - people seem to like DU30 here a lot more, and seem to like also the current mayor. People I've talked with don't appreciate the last mayor before Osmeña. Is that the case?

Well travel down here to Mindanao and you will get quite an ear full about Manila folks...

• Haha 1

JamesMusslewhite
1 hour ago, smokey said:

When i go to robinsons they tell me sir dont go to sm.   But when i do go to sm they tell me sir dont go to ayala and when i go to ayala they say sir dont go to robinsons.well i figured out how to handle this cultural problem i went to arizona

And all are the better for it....

• Haha 1

Headshot
6 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

And if its not someone else to blame its the moo moos and white ladies who are the cause of the problem ! 

...or the wak waks or the witches or voodoo or it's God's will ... or YOU caused the problem.

• Like 2

Flakes
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BossHog said:

Might be an outlier here but Manila is the place to go for food and entertainment and so on.

Cebu is just some half-glorified shit-hole that I avoid at at all costs. It's really a train-wreck of a city.

Manila for the win; you can get a lot done there. If you can't have fun in Manila then you don't know how to have fun.

Its clear for me what Cebu people have against Manila folks and probably even against a Manila wannabe local as urself trying to be.

Its their misplaced arrogance attitude.

Ask any Cebu person and they will confirm this.

Edited by Flakes

oztony
4 minutes ago, Flakes said:

Its clear for me what Cebu people have against Manila folks and probably even against a Manila wannabe local as urself trying to be.

:scratch_head: Bosshog lives on a little island off the coast of Mindanao....