• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Semper paratus

Dog bites

Headshot
8 minutes ago, Flakes said:

Well i will skip headshot his  parties from now on 😁

Hahaha... I didn't remember inviting you. Then again, I don't have too many parties. However, Davaoeno is welcome anytime at my home. Generally, if you come by taxi or Uber, you get out at the gate and there is no problem with the dogs. We have lived on the street for many years, but the dogs sometimes even bark or growl at me when I walk up the street. It is fairly easy to cower them IF you aren't deathly afraid of dogs (which many Filipinos are).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Davaoeno
9 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Hahaha... I didn't remember inviting you. Then again, I don't have too many parties. However, Davaoeno is welcome anytime at my home. Generally, if you come by taxi or Uber, you get out at the gate and there is no problem with the dogs. We have lived on the street for many years, but the dogs sometimes even bark or growl at me when I walk up the street. It is fairly easy to cower them IF you aren't deathly afraid of dogs (which many Filipinos are).

Thanks Bill - I will try to make it over. If I do I will bring a can of Canadian perfume with me  lol  This stuff shoots up to 40 feet !

20180104_152309.jpg

samatm

I got bitten by a my own 3 week old puppy....just enough to draw blood on top of my thumb near the cuticle..no biggie... then the next day the little critter was DEAD.    So off to the Cebu City Vet Lab to submit the carcass (frozen) for checking for Rabies...(ya never know)  .. HOpefully it will reported back negative tomorrow...if not.. time for shots.  :( 

• Sad 1

Flakes
36 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Weird that nobody in that whole street made complaints about these aggressive loose dogs yet.This can even be done by a phone call.

Semper paratus

Afraid of the dogs and afraid of the neighbors. What a lovely way to live.

• Haha 3

Semper paratus
27 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

Not funny as two noted but sad. Real sad.

lamoe
1 hour ago, Semper paratus said:

More like cautious, wary, alert when either or  both can exhibit rabid behavior  without notice

• Haha 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, Semper paratus said:

I'm not afraid of the dogs and I respect my neighbors. If you want to live in the Philippines, you need to figure out what that means here. There is a huge difference between fear and respect. Causing trouble in the neighborhood is NOT a good way to show respect. As for the dogs, I said they are aggressive strays. That category includes about 90% of all dogs in the Philippines. They aren't true strays, as people claim ownership of them, but they are left to wander in the street, so they might as well be strays.

Overall, I enjoy the quiet neighborhood where I live. There is a taxi company on our street, so that means there are a lot of cars on the street in the morning (when they are servicing and cleaning the cars), but it is usually dead at all other times of the day. Having taxis and tools all over their area (and sometimes out in the street), they value having the dogs let them know when there is a stranger around. Some of the residents on our street include the taxi company owner and several of her workers. They are very friendly and have been very helpful to me in the past, and I value having good neighbors (in every way other than the dogs roaming around in the street).

Letting dogs roam (and letting them somewhat fend for themselves) is much more common than confining them to a yard here in the Philippines. Really, only me and my neighbor across the street keep our dogs either in the house or in the yard. You need to adjust your attitude about how you deal with others when you live in a foreign country. Otherwise, it would quickly become a miserable life.

• Like 1

rep1
On 1/4/2018 at 10:50 AM, Salty Dog said:

Hummm. Where do you hangout?

I lived there for nearly 2 years and never encountered an aggressive stray dog on the streets.

I was followed several times by a very cute and persistent puppy to our house. Had to stamp on ground to scare it away.. it looked so sad.

Thats the most aggressive in two years

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Jack Rat
On 1/4/2018 at 2:06 PM, Headshot said:

Hmmm...

You didn't encounter the aggressive stray dogs that live on our street when you came to our house warming party? I guess you weren't walking in the street at all. If you had gone into the street, you would have encountered them. It has gotten to the point where we can't get pizza delivered to our house because the delivery guys (on motorcycles) have been attacked riding back up the street. I would report the dogs to the dog catchers, but I don't want to make enemies with the neighbors, who ostensibly own these dogs, but allow them to roam the neighborhood at will and seldom feed them. Even though we live at the end of a cul-de-sac (with very little traffic in the afternoon), my daughter can't ride her bicycle in the street because of the dogs.

If these owners let their mutts roam in your area let's face it they sure don't have any respect for you, so why do you have to have respect for them. Go see the owner and sort the situation.

• Like 1

lamoe
6 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

If these owners let their mutts roam in your area let's face it they sure don't have any respect for you, so why do you have to have respect for them. Go see the owner and sort the situation.

Because he dosen't want to be looking over his shoulder every time he hears a motorcycle behind him.

4 hours ago, rep1 said:

I was followed several times by a very cute and persistent puppy to our house. Had to stamp on ground to scare it away.. it looked so sad.

Thats the most aggressive in two years

Different neighborhoods different dogs. For me only happen once -  still I don't want to face prospect of 21 shots so I will continue to be cautious of the people and the dogs.

Best bit of advice I've received

"My love, don't expect people here to do the right thing"

• Like 1

RogerDat

I had the shots 2 years back, was not too bad, but the wound clean out was hell. The City health was full of fresh bites, as well and on going treatment majority of them kids.

• Sad 1

Jack Rat
On 1/4/2018 at 5:46 PM, Headshot said:

I'm not afraid of the dogs and I respect my neighbors. If you want to live in the Philippines, you need to figure out what that means here. There is a huge difference between fear and respect. Causing trouble in the neighborhood is NOT a good way to show respect. As for the dogs, I said they are aggressive strays. That category includes about 90% of all dogs in the Philippines. They aren't true strays, as people claim ownership of them, but they are left to wander in the street, so they might as well be strays.

Overall, I enjoy the quiet neighborhood where I live. There is a taxi company on our street, so that means there are a lot of cars on the street in the morning (when they are servicing and cleaning the cars), but it is usually dead at all other times of the day. Having taxis and tools all over their area (and sometimes out in the street), they value having the dogs let them know when there is a stranger around. Some of the residents on our street include the taxi company owner and several of her workers. They are very friendly and have been very helpful to me in the past, and I value having good neighbors (in every way other than the dogs roaming around in the street).

Letting dogs roam (and letting them somewhat fend for themselves) is much more common than confining them to a yard here in the Philippines. Really, only me and my neighbor across the street keep our dogs either in the house or in the yard. You need to adjust your attitude about how you deal with others when you live in a foreign country. Otherwise, it would quickly become a miserable life.

And cowering from the neighbours doesn't get respect either!!!

• Like 1

Headshot
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Rat said:

And cowering from the neighbours doesn't get respect either!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't cower from my neighbors. We are friends, and we talk when we meet on the street. That is why I understand why they let their dogs roam. Sometimes, along with friendship, you have to forgive some things or just ignore them. It isn't worth ruining friendships to get rid of the dogs. Anybody who knows how to handle dogs can quickly cower these mutts, so I'm not the least bit intimidated by them.

My wife, however, is overprotective of our daughter (a fairly common Filipina trait), and she is the one who won't let her ride her bicycle in the street. Of course, I know that now some dumbass is going to badmouth my wife for being overprotective, but I kind of like that trait in a mother (to a certain point). If she goes overboard, it is usually easy enough to correct.

Those who espouse confrontation with the locals are either just trolls (who just like to tell others what to do so they can see what happens when somebody follows their stupid advice), or we will be reading about them in the funny papers when they confront the wrong person.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1