• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Semper paratus

Dog bites

Semper paratus
Posted (edited)

!9,383 bites in only the first 3 months of 2017, and that's only in the Central Visayas. Anyone see a problem here ?

Contact your barangay captains, city counselors, mayors, and congressmen. Get involved. Do not wait for the "other guy"to do it.

https://www.pressreader.com/philippines/manila-bulletin/20170804/281822873883451

Aug 4, 2017 - CEBU CITY – The number of animal bites cases in Central Visayas reached 19,382 in the first three months of this year, data released by the Department of Health (DOH) showed. DOH reported four persons died of rabies – three in Cebu province and one in Negros Oriental. Health officials were still ...

Here's Dumaguete only. Appalling.

http://www.visayandailystar.com/2017/August/07/negor1.htm

Aug 7, 2017 - In lieu of this predicament, Socorro said the office has to simply campaign for dog leashing and extermination of stray dogs with the use of tranquilizers. An increase in dog bites were recorded in Dumaguete with 295 victims from January to March, and 298 from April to June this year, which Arbas said is ..

Edited by Salty Dog
Fixed Link
  • Thanks 1

sugbu777

Not leashing our dog within our property which is fenced and gated. Step into the yard and the dog doesn't know you... you're getting bit.

Same thing happened at our home in Guam. Dog was going nuts. I opened the door to see two JW's. Asked them what they wanted. Asked them to leave quickly or the dog will bite. They wanted to talk. Told 'em to get moving or the dog will bite. Still won't move. Dog bites. They moved then!

• Like 1

lamoe
39 minutes ago, sugbu777 said:

Not leashing our dog within our property which is fenced and gated. Step into the yard and the dog doesn't know you... you're getting bit.

Same thing happened at our home in Guam. Dog was going nuts. I opened the door to see two JW's. Asked them what they wanted. Asked them to leave quickly or the dog will bite. They wanted to talk. Told 'em to get moving or the dog will bite. Still won't move. Dog bites. They moved then!

Acceptable / commendable  dog behavior in your yard - my Lab did same

Estimate between I see at least 10  strays on morning walks - only 2 nd time I've extended baton was when one charged me - not standing off barking - charged (dog not me).

I do admit I smell like bacon :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Flakes

Cebu is already a not so walkable town and now we also have  to watch out for aggressive stray dogs.

Salty Dog
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Flakes said:

Cebu is already a not so walkable town and now we also have  to watch out for aggressive stray dogs.

Hummm. Where do you hangout?

I lived there for nearly 2 years and never encountered an aggressive stray dog on the streets.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

Flakes
1 minute ago, Salty Dog said:

I lived there for nearly 2 years and never saw an aggressive stray dog on the streets.

Saltydog try not only to focus on my posts but also read the post of Lamoe.

Salty Dog
8 minutes ago, Flakes said:

Saltydog try not only to focus on my posts but also read the post of Lamoe.

Are you trying to say that you also smell like bacon...:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

shadow
3 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Well, we have corn flakes, pepper flakes, why not bacon flakes?

• Like 2

Flakes
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Seems u have read it now😃

Edited by Flakes

lamoe
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I lived there for nearly 2 years and never encountered an aggressive stray dog on the streets.

Area West of Escario - North of Esmena Extension - when I first started walking

Never a problem either on main streets

28 minutes ago, shadow said:

Well, we have corn flakes, pepper flakes, why not bacon flakes?

Bacon bits if you please

20170430_155018.jpg

Edited by lamoe

Jawny

In my area, these statistics have no real meaning.  Many bites here go unreported.  There was even a soldier in our baranagay unable to go away from his encampment to get treatment.  He mended but had many anxious days hoping for no bad reaction.

I'd venture a guess that at least five or six bites happen each year, most with no treatment.  We have had two rabies deaths, an adult and child within the past three years.  Not confirmed as rabies, but clearly evident that is what it was.

Every once in a while someone from the nearby city will come and give a lecture about the law and the access to free rabies shots for the animals. Nothing ever comes of this.

We get packs of semi feral dogs roaming once in a while.  I call them semi feral as they often get handouts from families, or at least eat the garbage tossed in the nearby jungle.

On occasion, a dog "owner" will offer the dog as payment for some sort of yard work.  The dog is consumed at th end of the work.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Headshot
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Hmmm...

You didn't encounter the aggressive stray dogs that live on our street when you came to our house warming party? I guess you weren't walking in the street at all. If you had gone into the street, you would have encountered them. It has gotten to the point where we can't get pizza delivered to our house because the delivery guys (on motorcycles) have been attacked riding back up the street. I would report the dogs to the dog catchers, but I don't want to make enemies with the neighbors, who ostensibly own these dogs, but allow them to roam the neighborhood at will and seldom feed them. Even though we live at the end of a cul-de-sac (with very little traffic in the afternoon), my daughter can't ride her bicycle in the street because of the dogs.

Edited by Headshot

Flakes
41 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Hmmm...

You didn't encounter the aggressive stray dogs that live on our street when you came to our house warming party? I guess you weren't walking in the street at all. If you had gone into the street, you would have encountered them. It has gotten to the point where we can't get pizza delivered to our house because the delivery guys (on motorcycles) have been attacked riding back up the street. I would report the dogs to the dog catchers, but I don't want to make enemies with the neighbors, who ostensibly own these dogs, but allow them to roam the neighborhood at will and seldom feed them. Even though we live at the end of a cul-de-sac (with very little traffic in the afternoon), my daughter can't ride her bicycle in the street because of the dogs.

if a loose dog threatens ur kids seems a very good reason to call the police or poison that animal.

• Like 1

Davaoeno
2 minutes ago, Flakes said:

if a loose dog threatens ur kids seems a very good reason to call the police or poison that animal.

I agree . Then he can move into a rental and put his house up for sale- because continuing to live there would be a very bad idea .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Flakes
3 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I agree . Then he can move into a rental and put his house up for sale- because continuing to live there would be a very bad idea .

Well i will skip headshot his  parties from now on 😁