• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Travis

As a foreigner can I open a bank account if i live in the USA

Woolf
Just now, slowsmile said:

When I first came to the Philippines in 2006 on a tourist visa, I came out for a month. I was staying with another Brit who had an apartment in Boracay. 

I had no problems at all opening a bank account in Boracay with Metrobank. 

Why do you need the TIN or PPP?? 

My UK passport was enough to validate my ID.

In those days I only stayed for one month at a time so no need for an ACR-I card.

Too many wrong assumptions, my friend. 

I was you that linked to metrobank for guide, it mention tin & sss

that is what I wrote, that guide is NOT valid  for foreigners 

2006 that is more than 10 years, regulations changed a lot since then

old and outdated information is just confusing 

• Thanks 1

Jawny
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

better check regulations taking more than 10,,000 usd of of usa

if more than 10,000 usd has to be declared at customs port of entry

No need to check any regulations.   Lots and lots of money can be taken with an individual on a trip from the USA, citizen or not.  Cash money.  The only problem is the pucker factor while carrying that much.

Amising story in the news today.  Some brilliant smuggler (NOT) was taking a private plane from the USA.  She was checked at departure, and had declared $40,000 on the appropriate form.  What she hadn’t declared was the additional $300,000 plus neatly store in her socks.  Pretty smart.  They were smelly socks I suppose.

Edited by Jawny

slowsmile

The best way to do it is to get married to a Filipina(choose wisely!!). I currently have an NQI-Card(Non-Quota Immigrant Card) as well as a Phil driving licence and also own my own house in the Cebu provinces. I rarely have to use my passport for ID anymore. This also means that I am now a legal immigrant with residential status who can now also legally work in the Phils without a problem if I want. The NQI-Card only costs 310 pesos a year to renew(I renewed this month). If you're married to a Filipina, it will initially cost you about 12,000 pesos($230 or GBP 164) to get the NQI-Card. It's not even mandatory to leave the Philippines once a year if you have an NQI-Card. As well, when you initially apply for an NQI status there is no compulsory requirement for a $10,000 or $20,000 bank deposit like there is when you apply for SRRV status(Special Resident Retiree Visa) as  single guy. But, as shown above, there are many more benefits with NQI-Card status than with SSRV status.

Edited by slowsmile
  • Like 1

M.C.A.
2 hours ago, slowsmile said:

Well I don't think you need to do all that complicated wire transfer stuff. Just apply for a Payoneer card, This is a unique card because it allows you, upon request,  to also set up a bank account with their bank in NY.  With the Payoneer card you can transfer money into your US Payoneer account from any bank in he world. It also acts as a direct debit card anywhere in the world(Visa backed I think). Finally you can transfer any money from your Payoneer bank account to any bank in the World -- including most banks in Asia and Africa. And you can do all this online --- it also costs nothing to get a Payoneer card.

I use the Payoneer card and bank account because I'm an Indie author who writes books end ebooks. Kindle will not pay royalties by PayPal. Since I don't have a US bank account no. they can only send cheques to me in the Philippines by land mail. Overland mail in the Phils is bad news -- very slow and inefficient and you might not even get your mail. With a Payoneer card, I can set up a bank account in the US and set up my Kindle and Createspace royalties to be easily transferred to my Payoneer bank account without a problem. From there I just go online to the Payoneer website and transfer all royalties direct to my Philippine bank account. The royalty transfer usually takes less than 2 days. Easy peasy.

But what happens when your card is damaged, lost or you don't live in a major metropolitan tourist trap rip off city?  What about a Super Typhoon, you might as well throw that plastic way of life away, this is still a cash and carry society.

Edited by M.C.A.

slowsmile
25 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

But what happens when your card is damaged, lost or you don't live in a major metropolitan tourist trap rip off city?  What about a Super Typhoon, you might as well throw that plastic way of life away, this is still a cash and carry society.

If my Payoneer card got lost or damaged I would just order another replacement card via the secure Payoneer website. Really simple and not a big deal.. 

The other thing is that you are assuming that I'm using my card as an ATM card. Wrong. The card is really for using it as a worldwide direct debit card. I have to go online to the Payoneer website whenever I need to transfer any money. No need to use the card at all. Like I said, the Payoneer service is unique in this respect. 

Edited by slowsmile

Woolf
13 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

NQI card

Is this what everybody else calls a 13a ACR-I card ?

anyway replacement of cards does not have much to do with foreigner tourist opening a bank account 

in PH

Edited by Woolf

slowsmile
13 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Is this what everybody else calls a 13a ACR-I card ?

anyway replacement of cards does not have much to do with foreigner tourist opening a bank account 

in PH

Let's skip the confusing and meaningless abbreviations that most people won't have a clue about.

NQI stands for Non-Quota Immigrant.

As a foreigner, when you get married to a Filipina then that makes you eligible to apply for an NQI-Card

When you have obtained an NQI-Card that means that you are now a legal immigrant with permanent residential status.

Edited by slowsmile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woolf

I am out of here until someone writes about opening a bank account

• Like 3

Richard K

The simple answer to the OP's question is yes....

Enuff
Let's skip the confusing and meaningless abbreviations that most people won't have a clue about.
NQI stands for Non-Quota Immigrant.
As a foreigner, when you get married to a Filipina then that makes you eligible to apply for an NQI-Card
When you have obtained an NQI-Card that means that you are now a legal immigrant with permanent residential status.
I for one and more interested in the NQI card. Could you please post a topic with more info?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

exploringlife2

I had no problem setting my account up. I think it is the easiest thing I have done in the Philippines. We had lunch with a group of expats and their ladies. I walked over to the bank and the manager took me in his office. He set the beginning info for my account up and then passed me to a lady to finish. It was done and done right as far as I can tell. I just required my passport. I only have an I-Card for I come to the Philippines for 5 1/2 months a year. I wire transferred the money for my car no problem. This is totally a dollar account. I can exchange as many dollars in the account as I want for pesos.  I am happy with this bank. My bank is a Dumaguete office, but have withdrawn pesos in Cebu near Ayala is a branch, with no problem.

Woolf
8 minutes ago, exploringlife2 said:

I had no problem setting my account up

How long time ago and what bank ???

Dafey
1 hour ago, Enuff said:

I for one and more interested in the NQI card. Could you please post a topic with more info?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Done

• Like 1

exploringlife2

Bank of Commerce, 11 months ago.

PhilsFan

If your just going for a few months, why not use World Remit? Download the App on your phone and send yourself some cash. The rate is typically half a point off XE Exchange prices and fee to send is usually $4. I send cash to my lady in her BDO account. 15 minutes later she can hit the ATM, no other fees.

If sending to yourself, ( I checked, they are cool with that) they do have pick-up locations available nation-wide, but I would check before leaving USA to determine if that will work for you.

Simple, easy and cheap cash.

Edit: I used to bring lots of cash with me for my trips of a few months and then have to worry about hiding the money. I no longer need to do it.

WRemit exchange prices are better than the best exchange rate I could find at the changers.

Edited by PhilsFan
  • Thanks 1