• Commercial Banner Advertisers

skipperdick

concealed carry

skipperdick

Anybody care to comment on carrying a handgun in the Phils? I know that it is illegal for a foreigner to get a concealed carry permit,but does anyone do it anyway? Or perhaps their wife? Gonna be completely honest and tell you that I have studied martial arts/self defense for almost 40 yrs, and what someone posted on my wifes Facebook page completely freaked me out.On New Years Eve,somewhere in the Davao area we believe,3 or 4 guys with knives stabbed to death a guy on a street corner.Onlookers could do nothing,you could see the assailants just pocket their knives and walk away...We have no idea why it happened or who was involved...years ago in San Francisco,I trained with Tony Reyes a tough Filipino who fought in bare knuckle fights in Madison Square Garden,and something he said has always stayed with me.IF you want exercise,comraderie and discipline,join a karate school.If you want self defense,get a .38....after seeing this brutal murder,what he said couldn't have made more sense.....although the attack happened so quickly,you might not have had time to access your gun.....comments???

• Like 1

Davaoeno
20 minutes ago, skipperdick said:

what someone posted on my wifes Facebook page completely freaked me out.On New Years Eve,somewhere in the Davao area we believe,3 or 4 guys with knives stabbed to death a guy on a street corner.

You already know what the law is . Break it at your own peril .

If you don't feel safe here then  perhaps consider staying in the US  where  many places you can carry a   gun  .   

please post the clip you mentioned

• Like 2

the.lone.gunman

Serious shit if you get caught.... Pepper spray / dog repellent / mace would be a safer choice. Effective, fast and easy to use. And you can carry it your hand unobtrusively even in daylight.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Bill H

I concur it is a very bad idea, but only if you get caught.  That said, you shoot a bad guy and more than likely the first question the officer will ask is where did you get the gun?  What are you going to say?  Even, I just found it makes you guilty in the eyes of the law.  As other's have said, use the spray and avoid places where folks get mugged.

• Like 3

Jawny

There was a recent story in the news about a foreigner who was arrested, along with some locals, for possessing a variety of weapons.  It may have been posted in the LinC. From what I can recall, he faces some serious issues regarding possessing firearms.  

You may "get away with it" in the same fashion you could probably drive without a license.  The problem comes up when the crime is discovered.  As well as yourself, the person who provided the weapon may be facing charges as well.

The licensing process is supposedly simple, but in fact, just as messed up in some places as the LTO and other agencies.  Foreigners cannot possess a weapon.  Using one, such as in your home, is another subject of debate.  However, packing heat is taking a serious risk.

• Like 2

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, Bill H said:

I concur it is a very bad idea, but only if you get caught.

much like robbing a bank or killing someone who is bothering you .

smokey

Not a good idea 4 sure could hire an armed driver if you fell the need

• Like 2

Jack Rat
2 hours ago, skipperdick said:

Anybody care to comment on carrying a handgun in the Phils? I know that it is illegal for a foreigner to get a concealed carry permit,but does anyone do it anyway? Or perhaps their wife? Gonna be completely honest and tell you that I have studied martial arts/self defense for almost 40 yrs, and what someone posted on my wifes Facebook page completely freaked me out.On New Years Eve,somewhere in the Davao area we believe,3 or 4 guys with knives stabbed to death a guy on a street corner.Onlookers could do nothing,you could see the assailants just pocket their knives and walk away...We have no idea why it happened or who was involved...years ago in San Francisco,I trained with Tony Reyes a tough Filipino who fought in bare knuckle fights in Madison Square Garden,and something he said has always stayed with me.IF you want exercise,comraderie and discipline,join a karate school.If you want self defense,get a .38....after seeing this brutal murder,what he said couldn't have made more sense.....although the attack happened so quickly,you might not have had time to access your gun.....comments???

If a foreigner carries a gun here he is a fool. It is illegal for a foreigner to carry a gun and be assured if someone knows you are carrying a gun it will be taken off you and most likely used against you when you least expect it.... Live by the sword die by the sword  comes to mind..It can be legal for your Filipino wife to own a gun but she must be licensed. Most firearm licences issued here allow a person to have a firearm stored inside their property and not be taken onto the street. 

If you are running around scared the Philippines is surely not the place for you..

• Like 2

Jester
3 hours ago, Bill H said:

I concur it is a very bad idea, but only if you get caught.  That said, you shoot a bad guy and more than likely the first question the officer will ask is where did you get the gun?  What are you going to say?  Even, I just found it makes you guilty in the eyes of the law.  As other's have said, use the spray and avoid places where folks get mugged.

They tried to shoot me with it, I got it away from them and I must have hit the starter!  

• Haha 1

skipperdick

here is the stabbing mentioned before,the upper right video is a continuation,trying to save the victim,and load him into a tricycle.I guess what I meant to say before is that it is really almost impossible to defend yourself in a situation like this,other than the obvious,not putting yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.....pepper or dog spray maybe... 

cogon88

More then likely this is gang oriented and has to do with drugs even in our Brgy there are 3 differnt gangs mostly kids from 16-22 Shabu addicts. They all had gang fight in front of our house with home made single shot zip guns on kid was shot and stabbed trying to climb over our gate. Our guard fired couple warning shots from his shot gun to chase them away took the kid to local hospital he died 2 days later. This was 2 years ago before the crack down by DU30 but it is still not safe to wonder around at night unless you are armed or have a Platoon with you 

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, skipperdick said:

here is the stabbing mentioned before,the upper right video is a continuation,trying to save the victim,and load him into a tricycle.I guess what I meant to say before is that it is really almost impossible to defend yourself in a situation like this,other than the obvious,not putting yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.....pepper or dog spray maybe... 

You said it happened  in Davao but the facebook page says Butuan ! 

skipperdick

if you read my original post,  i wrote ''somewhere in the Davao area we believe'',not being sure exactly where it happened....does it really make a difference?????

• Like 1

Davaoeno
4 minutes ago, skipperdick said:

if you read my original post,  i wrote ''somewhere in the Davao area we believe'',not being sure exactly where it happened....does it really make a difference?????

Does it really make a difference that you are so scared about an event that happened more than 300 kms away from Davao that you want to run out and  illegally buy a gun [ because you feel that  that is the only way you can protect yourself even though you " have studied martial arts for over 40 years including with Tony Reyes so you are obviously a very scary  guy who is a force to be reckoned with  ]- and instead of posting your chicken little comments  you can't even bother getting your facts right first !!

Damn right it makes a difference !! 

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

The topic is Locked.  OP was banned from topic.  Refrain from threats of violence against members.

• Thanks 1