• Commercial Banner Advertisers

rep1

Condo inspection tips?

rep1

It's coming! First time home owner here. What should I prepare and check specially, aside from common inspection items?

Levelness of aircon provision? Pipes will be invisible. Should I conduct electricity testing myself? Need the meter? And laser level?

LechonBuddha

From my experience I'd check for proper  drainage in all drains also, proper runoff from any flat areas such as roofs, patios, and balconies. Run the showers and check for pooling/incomplete draining after use. Nothing worse than a big puddle left on the floor after your shower. If this is a feee standing home ensure any rain gutters drain far enough away from the home. Also, make sure the yard has the proper slope/swales to drain water away. Bottom line, water can cause big problems. Spend lots of time imagining and looking for potential issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flakes

Check for Loose tiles...

Have the unit Remeasured

also u got one year waranty time enough to address issues.

ur perception  of completed for transfer might be different then theirs. 

Edited by Flakes
  • Thanks 1

rep1
8 hours ago, LechonBuddha said:

. Run the showers and check for pooling/incomplete draining after use. 

W/D drainage too?

And aircon provision drainage - just dump a bucket of water?

7 hours ago, Flakes said:

Check for Loose tiles...

Have the unit Remeasured

also u got one year waranty time enough to address issues.

ur perception  of completed for transfer might be different then theirs. 

They are supposed to give me a full plan? pipe layout etc? said after completion.

We havent received that for our office.

LechonBuddha
2 hours ago, rep1 said:

W/D drainage too?

And aircon provision drainage - just dump a bucket of water?

They are supposed to give me a full plan? pipe layout etc? said after completion.

We havent received that for our office.

Run the shower and make sure the shower pan drains without leaving a puddle. The shower's  floor should slope to the drain. Check ALL drains for anything that uses water. If water isn't turned on in the unit bring some. This shouldn't Take too much  for a condo.

Many ways to plumb drainage for AC's but all can be checked. Check drainage for pvc pipes and if they discharge onto something else like the balcony's floor ensure the water has someplace to go and drains properly without making a puddle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RogerDat

A big marble is useful for checking floor for flatness. Look for moisture issues on ceilings, under sinks for musty smell, cracks at corners, floor/wall junctions. Sink drains for leaks. light switches, and wall outlets for function. If no bulb in it, put one in.

• Thanks 1

Alfred E. Neuman

Open all lights, aircons, heater, appliances, ref, for at least 30 minutes, make sure circuit breakers dont budge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rep1
19 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

A big marble is useful for checking floor for flatness. Look for moisture issues on ceilings, under sinks for musty smell, cracks at corners, floor/wall junctions. Sink drains for leaks. light switches, and wall outlets for function. If no bulb in it, put one in.

big marble cost $$$!

Is this the kind of tool to check flatness?

81vGt8vAhcL._SY355_.jpg

25 minutes ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

Open all lights, aircons, heater, appliances, ref, for at least 30 minutes, make sure circuit breakers dont budge.

will I need to check the stability of electricity as well? the voltage and others?

Davaoeno
1 minute ago, rep1 said:

big marble cost $$$!

:bestpost:

Alfred E. Neuman
8 hours ago, rep1 said:

big marble cost $$$!

Is this the kind of tool to check flatness?

81vGt8vAhcL._SY355_.jpg

will I need to check the stability of electricity as well? the voltage and others?

Usually different contractors are hired for windows, plumbing, paints etc.. some of the installations require drilling, hammering that accidentally touch the hidden wires since not all are aware of where they are placed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RogerDat

4 small, and one big marbles. Use the big one , drop on or place on floor if tile and see where it rolls. If no roll all is good.

images.jpg.ac9bf135f8cbd665764484915745860c.jpg

• Confused 1

rep1

So ... just need a ball? :rolleyes: 

Flakes

Best is to swiftly move in and then possibly some issues will come up while staying there.

Then u make a punchlist give it to the developer and ask him to follow up.

So on the actual hand over date  just accept the keys and move in..

RogerDat

Ha Ha rep1, now you are going to say you never played with marbles, when most all are made in China? Surely you were not shielded.

If a ball would do, you could see the tilt man.

rep1
16 minutes ago, Flakes said:

Best is to swiftly move in and then possibly some issues will come up while staying there.

Then u make a punchlist give it to the developer and ask him to follow up.

So on the actual hand over date  just accept the keys and move in..

we did that in our office, with very disastrous result! breathed a lot of toxic air and suffered horrible noise for months.

My original plan is: measure everything => finalize and send furniture designs => inspect others and wait a month for furniture, then get them, dig some holes for curtains and water filter, then buy appliances and all done. Hopefully they can fix everything in one month should any problem arises.

But I heard zero-VOC paint stinks like urine, so it might take longer...