shadow

Entitlements

shadow

So, earlier this month I hired a kid (24) to do some basic yard work and cleaning. He was a pretty mediocre worker. He would show up around 10, instead of 9. Could often be found sitting down smoking a cigarette. Would take an hour and a half lunch, and two half hour breaks. I figured I would work him through the holidays, as I knew he had a small family and needed the money.

Today he showed up at his typical 9:45, this time with his "wife" in tow. 

It seems that she came to demand his 13th month pay. He has only actually worked 10 days, and done about 6 days worth of actual work during that time.

I sent them both packing. So much for them getting any "Christmas bonus", which I had intended to give them.

I expect to hear from the authorities next week.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Davaoeno

The Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) said that every rank-and-file employee in the private sector has the right to receive 13th month pay, provided they worked for at least one month in a year.

Read more: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/network/feature/2017/12/07/everything-you-need-know-about-13th-month-pay-510907
Follow us: @sunstaronline on Twitter | SunStar Philippines on Facebook

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

shadow
11 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

The Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) said that every rank-and-file employee in the private sector has the right to receive 13th month pay, provided they worked for at least one month in a year.

Read more: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/network/feature/2017/12/07/everything-you-need-know-about-13th-month-pay-510907
Follow us: @sunstaronline on Twitter | SunStar Philippines on Facebook

Well, he wasn't rank and file, he was hired as a temporary worker, and became instantly even more temporary.

• Like 1

oztony

So work a month and get paid for 2 , no wonder this country is going nowhere...

• Like 5

noddle

and what about the "advance pay",

seen this on Wednesday each week,  when we had our house built,  asked the  gf  about it,  she says only 'carpenters'  can have it..

noddle
35 minutes ago, shadow said:

So, earlier this month I hired a kid (24) to do some basic yard work and cleaning. He was a pretty mediocre worker. He would show up around 10, instead of 9. Could often be found sitting down smoking a cigarette. Would take an hour and a half lunch, and two half hour breaks.

Maybe you should have setup a 'time card'   and told him he only gets paid his actual work hours,  like everyone does..

Davaoeno
23 minutes ago, shadow said:

Well, he wasn't rank and file,

If he wasn't rank and file then he was management !!     How did you arrive at the conclusion that he isn't rank and file ?? 

M.C.A.
11 minutes ago, shadow said:

Well, he wasn't rank and file, he was hired as a temporary worker, and became instantly even more temporary.

Good example of why they sign contracts so many guys like this 24 year old and also the wife and kids sometimes at the job site a real distraction and added expense come lunch time.

Another issue I found more disturbing is some workers who try to hurt themselves on the job, I won't allow one guy back to our house and he used to bring the whole family in tow but he did things on purpose to hurt himself and he cost us once, if badly hurt I'll bet it'll be a lifetime of support.

• Like 1

to_dave007

Have a guy working for me these last three months. By agreement we will pay the 13th month, but 1/2 at Christmas and 1/2 at Fiesta.

But man..  he has some NASTY habits.  Like coming early to work.  And working harder then the guy next door.  And not needing to be asked to do every little thing..  but just does it anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Davaoeno
2 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Have a guy working for me these last three months. By agreement we will pay the 13th month, but 1/2 at Christmas and 1/2 at Fiesta.

But man..  he has some NASTY habits.  Like coming early to work.  And working harder then the guy next door.  And not needing to be asked to do every little thing..  but just does it anyway.

How do you put up with all of that ???

• Haha 3

shadow
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

How do you put up with all of that ???

He's Canadian.

:lol:

• Like 3

Dafey
5 hours ago, shadow said:

It seems that she came to demand his 13th month pay

Try saying okay...but you have to pay the back SSS funding and income tax cuz you didn't take it out originally

SkyMan
5 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

How did you arrive at the conclusion that he isn't rank and file ?? 

Rank and file is more of a salaried employee, not someone hired on a daily basis.

• Thanks 2

Davaoeno
11 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Rank and file is more of a salaried employee, not someone hired on a daily basis.

Can I ask where you found that information ?    Before I posted my question I looked at  both Philaw and Google and could not find that definition.

Edited by Davaoeno

delancey
8 hours ago, shadow said:

So, earlier this month I hired a kid (24) to do some basic yard work and cleaning. He was a pretty mediocre worker. He would show up around 10, instead of 9. Could often be found sitting down smoking a cigarette. Would take an hour and a half lunch, and two half hour breaks. I figured I would work him through the holidays, as I knew he had a small family and needed the money.

Today he showed up at his typical 9:45, this time with his "wife" in tow. 

It seems that she came to demand his 13th month pay. He has only actually worked 10 days, and done about 6 days worth of actual work during that time.

I sent them both packing. So much for them getting any "Christmas bonus", which I had intended to give them.

I expect to hear from the authorities next week.

I don’t get the strategy. To have a minimal chance to pull it off, ignoring all other variables, you need to work one month not ten days. Yes?