Tango

Moving to Cebu to go to nursing school

Tango

Hi,

I'm moving to Cebu to go to Nursing school in the near future and am on the forum to gain information on the city etc....

cheers and thanks for the help and insight in advance

Tango

Headshot

Welcome to LinC Forums, Tango. Any idea about which school you want to attend? Not all schools are created equal as far as the graduates' ability to then pass certification exams. Also, because the school system changed from ten years of school to twelve years of school, some of the universities have closed admissions for new students for a couple of years until the new batch of students graduate from twelfth grade (I believe that will be this coming March). You might want to check that out with your school of choice. LinC Forums is a great place to ask lots of questions. Be sure to read past topics and posts, as well, to get even more ideas.

SkyMan
45 minutes ago, Tango said:

I'm moving to Cebu to go to Nursing school in the near future and am on the forum to gain information on the city etc....

Might help if we knew where you were coming from.

• Like 1

to_dave007

2 year?  4 year? where you HOPING to work afterwards?

smokey

We have a daughter who is a nurse about 6 years now pay is bad unless you go overseas and hours long better school teacher or engineering we have one of each of them and pay is 26 for one 22 the other nurse make 12

RogerDat

Welcome! The wife and 6 of her relatives are nurses, all graduated in Cebu, all but one is outside the country because of better pay. The wife came back to retire. I will ask her when she gets home which is the better school. Are you English?

Bama

The Manila Times had a recent story that told how most nurses trying to work overseas (UK) got shut down due to poor English skills.The numbers that I recall were 52 out of 59 nurses in a test group failed the English portion of the test.

Headshot
40 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

I will ask her when she gets home which is the better school.

CNU (Cebu Normal University) has the highest pass rate in the Philippines on the national nursing certification exam. They have had 100% pass rate for several years in a row. However, there are no pass rates published (by school) for the overseas certification exams. The US didn't  allow Filipino nurses to to emigrate to the US on work visas the entire time Obama was in office. Hopefully, that has changed now. Because of that, few Filipino nurses spent the money to take the US certification exam.

• Like 1

Tango

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I am an American. I have no Filipino heritage. I've been an expat most of my life. I'm 50 now and retiring from my career and want to become a nurse in the USA. Eventually, I'd like to do travel nursing and take 3 months off a year and travel.

Going to school in the USA is a pain and it's expensive and  I don't really want to live there for the time it would take me to be in school and make no money. 

I love Asia and could live like a kind at a fraction of the cost of doing this in the USA.

It's my understanding that if the school is CHED approved then the credits will convert and I can take the Nclex exam in my home state of Colorado.

I've been a medic for 15 years and have all my prerequisite science and math courses and a BS in Communications as well. My lifetime gpa is 3.97.

I'm not worried about passing the test in the USA at all. I'm a very good student and my experience is that if you put in the work it's not hard to be successful. 

Any input or experience would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm planning on coming to cebu in July to scope it all out.

Cebu Normal Univ. was the one I was looking at.

I've been looking at the process for getting a student visa and that looks fairly simple as well. Is there some kind of local "fixer" service that can help with these types of things?

Cheers!

Tango

added text

Edited by Tango
  • Like 4

Tango
4 hours ago, RogerDat said:

Welcome! The wife and 6 of her relatives are nurses, all graduated in Cebu, all but one is outside the country because of better pay. The wife came back to retire. I will ask her when she gets home which is the better school. Are you English?

Thanks, love any insight. I'm American. 

• Like 1

Mr. Mike

Welcome to the forum Tango and good luck.

Davaoeno
18 hours ago, Tango said:

could live like a kind [ sic]  at a fraction of the cost of doing this in the USA.

surely with a lifetime gpa of 3.97 the Ivy league schools are all throwing full scholarships at you ??

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1

softail
57 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

surely with a lifetime gpa of 3.97 the Ivy league schools are all throwing full scholarships at you ??

Don’t pay any attention to Davaoeno, sarcasm is his strong point.

shadow
19 hours ago, Tango said:

I've been looking at the process for getting a student visa and that looks fairly simple as well. Is there some kind of local "fixer" service that can help with these types of things?

Paul Whiteway is the expert on Philippine immigration issues;

www.cebuexpatservices.com

• Like 1

Davaoeno
23 minutes ago, softail said:

Don’t pay any attention to Davaoeno, sarcasm is his strong point.

Im not being sarcastic at all . I got a full scholarship with a much lower gpa . To go through university with an almost perfect score in everything is a very rare thing. The big schools look for things like that .

• Like 1